Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Just getting TP fromTD today!! It's a gift for my daughter. Do I open it now and update it, check everything out, or wait until xmas? If I do it now, what do I do with it until then - put on the touchstone charger or just turn it off and place back in the box?? Thanks
    I will be in the same situation (as soon as I get mine? Soon, please?)

I am going to open each of them and check them out completely - top off the battery, do updates, get it set up. As for now or waiting for Christmas, I'm not sure yet - I'm thinking of giving them now, so that they can take advantage of all of the free program codes, etc. that HP will be giving out in the next couple of months.
    I already gave my pops his for xmas. Half the present was getting it early and getting to use it
    Open it. Mine worked for about 5 minutes, then the screen went haywire. Spent all day on the chat with HP support (BTW-those people are pretty dumb) and finally got them to replace it. You'll have an easier time doing a return now. Also, it's in plastic and you can leave it wrapped up and still use it. If you take the seals off carefully she won't even know you opened it. (Also, you'll want to apply all the tweaks now...).

Either that or see if you can sell it. By Christmas time you'll be able to get a vastly superior android tab for the same amount your TP is worth now (sure, I'll get flamed for that, but I'm just being honest. Tablets are going down in price, and there's not going to be another TP). Also, if you get an android tab now you can start loading it up with the daily free apps from amazon.
    Quote Originally Posted by megepj View Post
    Just getting TP fromTD today!! It's a gift for my daughter. Do I open it now and update it, check everything out, or wait until xmas? If I do it now, what do I do with it until then - put on the touchstone charger or just turn it off and place back in the box?? Thanks
    Store it in the freezer. That oughta make it a cool xmas gift.
    the root.
    Quote Originally Posted by tptp View Post
    Store it in the freezer. That oughta make it a cool xmas gift.
    You're so punny.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    open it! Do it now! In 6 months it will be obsolete! Use the tech you get as soon as possible because advances move at the speed of light now. Enjoy the thing as soon as possible! :-)
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atg284 View Post
    open it! Do it now! In 6 months it will be obsolete! Use the tech you get as soon as possible because advances move at the speed of light now. Enjoy the thing as soon as possible! :-)
    what xmas do you celebrate?
    Quote Originally Posted by rbyrne View Post
    what xmas do you celebrate?
    Lousy smarch christmas...

No, wait... That's the 13th month.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    open it if only to patch it so its more user friendly and add a few apps to start with, as the touchpad comes with nothing entertaining as standard except web browsing.
    I bought my girlfriend's TouchPad for Christmas on the 24th of August. Christmas came 4 months early this year
    What about hanukah give it then and they will wonder why they have an xmas tree
    I've opened the one I got for my daughter. I updated it to 3.2 put it back in the box. I'm hoping tat by xmass there will be a stable Android port. Either way come middle of December I'm going to fully customize it before giving it to her. She's 11 and has a laptop if that matters.

I also got one for my wife. I'm not 100% sure she will want it or not. With a stable Android flash maybe, since it's what's on her phone. Probably not at all interested in learning a new OS. I'm trying to feel her out before I open hers. I figure if she doesn't want it it will better hold it's value unopened.
    open it check it use it. you only have 90 days phone support And mine was broken out the box and had to be sent on a 3 week excursion back to hp for blown speakers...that wouldnt be cool on christmas morning
    L.T.R
    learn teach repeat
    Never give gifts in advance. The sense of appreciation will not be there when the real time comes around. I did that before, notably with a wedding gift. I gave my friend a partial gift early and by the time the real wedding date came around, the early gift I gave was long forgotten.

That's just my opinion.
    Give it to her now! who knows maybe she'll like the new OS. Most people that use webOS really enjoy it. You can always get her a touchstone or a case for Chrismas!
  17.    #17  
    I will definitely open it now and store it in the freezer! Seriously, thanks for the input. I plan on opening and updating it, and would love to get some of those free apps that come out. The hard part will be to keep it hidden from my daughter! I thought about waiting for the asus transformer to drop in price when the transformer 2 comes out, but it would still be more money. Still need it for xmas - anticlimatic giving it now, she would then need something else from "santa"!
    I purchased 2 fire sale TouchPads for my kids and I was debating on waiting until Xmas but decided what the heck, Xmas will come early this year. I put Preware and patches on both of them and overclocked them too and both my kids love their TouchPads. My daughter says her TouchPad saves here $160 a quarter now because she does not have to print out her lecture notes so her TouchPad has already paid for itself. No way the TouchPad will be obsolete by Xmas and Android tablets won't be selling for $99 dollars either but I think you should give it to her now.