Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree11Likes
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I contacted HULU support and asked why they were blocking our usage and here is the reply:
    XXXXX, Sep-18 08:40 am (PDT):

Hi XXXXXX,

Thanks for writing in about Hulu on the HP TouchPad. Unfortunately, due to the contractual agreements with our content providers, we have to have a certain set of agreements set up with a device manufacturer before we can provide support for that device. We have no partnership with HP at this time, so we can't currently stream through their device.

We get a lot of requests for webOS support, so it's definitely something that's on our radar. Though we can't support it right now, we are continually evaluating new technologies, and we'll be adding more devices based on user demand. Stay tuned!

We have plans to bring Hulu Plus to as many devices as possible. For up to date info on which devices are currently supported or have been announced, you can go to ( Hulu - Plus ). On this page, you can even sign up to be notified of availability on upcoming devices.

If there's anything else I can address for you, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    XXXXX
    Hulu Support

The people at HULU got back with me quickly but their argument is not logical for many reasons...
  2. myt
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Thanks for writing in about Hulu on the HP TouchPad. Unfortunately, due to the contractual agreements with our content providers, we have to have a certain set of agreements set up with a device manufacturer before we can provide support for that device. We have no partnership with HP at this time, so we can't currently stream through their device.
    What is this about "agreements with device manufacturer"? They're providing their content using Flash through the browser. It makes more sense if they say they only support a particular version of Flash, or a dedicated Hulu app. If they have "agreements set up with device manufacturer," the who is the "device manufacturer" of my custom-built Linux PC, and what contractual agreement did they have with them? Isn't the Touchpad a Linux-based device?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by myt View Post
    ...Isn't the Touchpad a Linux-based device?
    Yup.
    How exactly to they determine whether you are viewing Hulu from PC, Touchpad, Mobile phone, Laptop, etc?
    Hi Peter,
    All supported devices are listed at Hulu - Plus . The HP TouchPad is not listed among them because, as mentioned earlier, we have no agreement with HP to stream Hulu to their devices. And Hulu Plus is available on the Xbox, but as you said, there are web-only shows at the request of the networks.
    Thanks for giving us a try,
    xxxx
    Hulu Support
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterjoy931 View Post
    Hi Peter,
    All supported devices are listed at Hulu - Plus . The HP TouchPad is not listed among them because, as mentioned earlier, we have no agreement with HP to stream Hulu to their devices. And Hulu Plus is available on the Xbox, but as you said, there are web-only shows at the request of the networks.
    Thanks for giving us a try,
    xxxx
    Hulu Support
    Then why can I view Hulu on an HP laptop or HP desktop?
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillykef View Post
    Your silence is quite telling because there is no good answer to that question.
    I was thinking the same thing, but the answer to that is that they do have a contract with Microsoft and that is the OS running on HP computers. Tablets are running webOS, which is based in linux (but not linux). Just like they say they support Mac os, not unix/linux. Still sucks, I can't imagine why a device would be blocked if it uses the same software to view the movie as the other supported OS's do. I'm sure there is some bureaucratic business thing about it.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, but the answer to that is that they do have a contract with Microsoft and that is the OS running on HP computers. Tablets are running webOS, which is based in linux (but not linux). Just like they say they support Mac os, not unix/linux. Still sucks, I can't imagine why a device would be blocked if it uses the same software to view the movie as the other supported OS's do. I'm sure there is some bureaucratic business thing about it.
    But the poster said "their devices", not their operating system.
    But the poster said "their devices", not their operating system.

Yeah I know, but as you know. That is the difference, and I'm sure that is what they will explain to you. Not a great reason IMO, but seems the most obvious.
    its all well and good for everyone to complain about this, but does anyone know the method hulu is using to identify the touchpad? That is the first step in fixing the issue.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    It's quite simple really, desktops and laptops (although quite mobile) are not classified as mobile devices. Phones and tablets are classified as mobile devices and Hulu has made agreements with content providers to only display content on approved mobile devices.

I can assure you that if they could block laptops as well they would (they can't as laptops identify themselves the same way as a desktop)
    It is fixable for the time being though - whether hulu likes it or not.

I've watched a few shows off hulu today on my touchpad. It's easy enough to fix, but unfortunately, there's no way to do it that doesn't break the app catalog...

Not sure it's easily toggle'able either, you need to edit or replace the libWebKitLuna.so file, and then have it reload in the system. Unless someone can give me the commands to unload and reload a .so file, it seems the only thing that gets this file reloaded after changing it is a full reboot of the touchpad (not a luna restart, a full blown reboot).

At any rate, I could walk you all through getting hulu working if you were willing to go through these annoyances. If someone with a bit more linux background can give me more info on commands that might reload the webkit I could probably build it into a toggle like the private browsing patch - one that would allow use of hulu.

Hell, while I'm at it, with the same toggles I could allow you to switch between touchpad/ipad/whatever which could be semi-useful for sites that have an ipad-specific version that would render well on the TP....

Anyway, I digress. Anyone have the info I need?
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    instead of a patch that stays loaded, why not an app so the fix gets unloaded when you exit the app?
    Quote Originally Posted by khazoury View Post
    instead of a patch that stays loaded, why not an app so the fix gets unloaded when you exit the app?
    I've been working on this - or, indeed, a toggle-able switch in the browser itself.

Unfortunately, my coding skills are about 15 years out-of-date and I'm making slow progress .

If you have the talent for app development, I'd be happy to offer up the various steps I've already taken to help you complete just such an application. If not, you'll just have to wait on either myself, or someone more skilled to do it .

As it sits - the patch I edited for the purpose is fairly simple to activate/deactivate (and can even be done from inside the device with xecutah/xterm). It's not an ideal solution but it works for the time being. You can find that patch here:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-hulu-fix.html
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234