Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkMoar View Post
    This is the excuse I always hear. But what will happen when windows 8 comes out? It will be the same os on desktops and tablets. Will they allow windows tablets access? Do they have a special agreement to only allow microsoft products? If not what will be the excuse to allow windows 8 tablets and none other?
    Hey, it's their excuse, not mine

But I don't get it. I can see the content providers wanting to make their own deal with wireless carriers like Verizon and AT&T. But then why restrict WiFi access? Especially on a device that's WiFi only. There's just something in this whole thing that doesn't make sense.
    osinious likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrxblanchard View Post
    I emailed Hulu support earlier today and just got this email.

"James, Sep-16 07:02 pm (PDT):

Thanks for writing in about Hulu on the HP TouchPad. Unfortunately, due to the contractual agreements with our content providers, we have to have a certain set of agreements set up with a device manufacturer before we can provide support for that device. We have no partnership with HP at this time, so we can't currently stream through their device.

We get a lot of requests for webOS support, so it's definitely something that's on our radar. Though we can't support it right now, we are continually evaluating new technologies, and we'll be adding more devices based on user demand. Stay tuned!

We have plans to bring Hulu Plus to as many devices as possible. For up to date info on which devices are currently supported or have been announced, you can go to ( Hulu - Plus ). On this page, you can even sign up to be notified of availability on upcoming devices.

If there's anything else I can address for you, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    James
    Hulu Support"

so I guess we have to bark at HP now.

Generic BS answer, I also emailed them and got the same email answer..................I just don't understand. I can go out and buy any computer, put one together or dust off an old one and connect to Hulu. Why isn't connecting to the internet through the touchpad the same. Kiss my Hulu plus subsciption good-by..............
    osinious likes this.
    last I checked a laptop was a mobile device...
    osinious likes this.
    Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    Hollywood and tv giants have the world by the nuts. Ever try wrestling with stupid regional encoded dvds?I had to illegally rip my legally purchased UK encoded discs to be able to play them when I moved to the us years ago. Grrrrrr
    I've said it many times in the forum... If you want Hulu and Netflix on your TouchPad, just use PlayOn. I have both of this working great along with many other sites. The only drawback is that you have to leave your computer on as the PlayOn server, but that's no big deal.

I get Hulu and Netflix everywhere I go now and no need to keep installing patches or worrying if/when they will break the path again.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/17/2011 at 11:32 AM.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I've said it many times in the forum... If you want Hulu and Netflix on your TouchPad, just use PlayOn. I have both of this working great along with many other sites. The only drawback is that you have to leave your computer on as the PlayOn server, but that's no big deal.

I get Hulu and Netflix everywhere I go now and no need to keep installing patches or worrying if/when they will break the path again.
    Did you sign up for the yearly cost? ($40) Or did you go the lifetime route? ($80)

There are more drawbacks to PlayOn: inability to fast forward, unreliable rewinding, laggy menus. And if you're hoping to resume a movie/show at any point other than the beginning... good luck

And even when I run PlayOn on my i5 2500K 8GB RAM desktop with 32MB/s internet speeds, I still get the occasional hiccup in playback.
    Last edited by UCLAKoolman; 09/17/2011 at 01:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Since I don't run Windows, PlayOn won't work for me. And I'm too lazy to try to setup some VM (and leave it running) just for that. I don't care about Hulu, but I do hope that Netflix ports to WebOS. Not sure how likely that is, but I can hope!

except that some people don't run windows for one reason or another (me I can't) since I have PowerPC machine...
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UCLAKoolman View Post
    There are more drawbacks to PlayOn: inability to fast forward, unreliable rewinding, laggy menus. And if you're hoping to resume a movie/show at any point other than the beginning... good luck

And even when I run PlayOn on my i5 2500K 8GB RAM desktop with 32MB/s internet speeds, I still get the occasional hiccup in playback.

drawbacks to be sure. its not a perfect solution, but its better than nothing :P
    This is not a defense of the TouchPad or tablets in general, but I think the days of free or low priced digital content on NetFlix and Hulu are over. It has nothing to do with Google, HP, Apple or their devices. It is the greed of the media industry. NetFlix is stuck with limited digital content because the content providers want more and more money. They have already hinted to raising their prices. Hulu is in the same boat and the companies that run it and provide content to it want to force folks to their own sites so they don't have to split profits with their partners.

Really we should have seen this coming. This happened with both cable and satellite. I remember when cable was advertised as commercial free TV. People paid for cable to get away from commercials. I challenge you to find a totally commercial free content on cable today. Even with commercials the price of cable keeps going up and up. Did we really expect the same content providers to keep offering free or limited commercial free TV and movie content to these services (Hulu and NetFlix)?

At least there is always Project Free TV which works great on the TouchPad and Crackle.com. Just don't expect any of those free rides to last forever.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    This is not a defense of the TouchPad or tablets in general, but I think the days of free or low priced digital content on NetFlix and Hulu are over. It has nothing to do with Google, HP, Apple or their devices. It is the greed of the media industry. NetFlix is stuck with limited digital content because the content providers want more and more money. They have already hinted to raising their prices. Hulu is in the same boat and the companies that run it and provide content to it want to force folks to their own sites so they don't have to split profits with their partners.

Really we should have seen this coming. This happened with both cable and satellite. I remember when cable was advertised as commercial free TV. People paid for cable to get away from commercials. I challenge you to find a totally commercial free content on cable today. Even with commercials the price of cable keeps going up and up. Did we really expect the same content providers to keep offering free or limited commercial free TV and movie content to these services (Hulu and NetFlix)?

At least there is always Project Free TV which works great on the TouchPad and Crackle.com. Just don't expect any of those free rides to last forever.
    Fortunately we still have torrent trackers. The Pirate Bay hasn't raised it's prices .

But in all seriousness, this is why people pirate stuff. If Netflix had basically every movie/tv show/etc., even if they charges $20-30/month, most people would happily pay. But to constantly raise rates and limit the content, it's not worth it. And when they limit what devices are accessible to their service, that ****es even more people off. It's much easier to just download a movie and play it on whatever you want, whenever you want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrxblanchard View Post
    If they keep this up I'm gonna cancel my hulu plus subscription, I swear to god I will.
    ps. How long before we get a new patch for this?
    I already cancelled my subscription for much the same reason. I got Hulu Plus to watch my shows on the XBOX a supposed "approved" platform. However just about every show I wanted to watch was "web only".
    -
    I guess their contracts with many of their content providers did not allow specifically for this platform.
    -
    So I was faced with paying for a service that had commercials, with content that I could not view on my TV with the Hulu app made for that purpose. Sounds like regular free Hulu to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by enki View Post
    Fortunately we still have torrent trackers. The Pirate Bay hasn't raised it's prices .

But in all seriousness, this is why people pirate stuff. If Netflix had basically every movie/tv show/etc., even if they charges $20-30/month, most people would happily pay. But to constantly raise rates and limit the content, it's not worth it. And when they limit what devices are accessible to their service, that ****es even more people off. It's much easier to just download a movie and play it on whatever you want, whenever you want it.
    I don't believe in pirating stuff. That being said I also don't believe in getting ripped off. If I am paying for content, it should be ad free. I also shouldn't have to pay extra for "HD" content because it doesn't cost the provider any extra for it. Paying extra for digital HD is like paying extra for text messages. It actually saves the cellular provider money in bandwidth for you to send a text message yet they charge you more for it because it is popular.

In reality renting digital movies shouldn't cost over $2. The studio already made their money on the movie in the theater. Anything beyond that is gravy. Digital movies are kept on a central server that you have to log into to get. There is minimum over hang providing movies this way. You just pay for the server space and the connection. You don't have to pay for hardware (DVD/CD) and shipping. Plus we don't get to "keep" the movie for longer than a few days so every time you want to watch the movie you have to pay $2 more.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread with this, but even if you "fix" Hulu on the TouchPad it will just get broken again on purpose due to the greed from the media industry. There is really no need to break it anyway. If someone is paying for it, it should work on any device as long as that person provides a valid log in.
    Quote Originally Posted by midas69 View Post
    This isn't true. If you read the OP, he says that Hulu Plus is now blocked. That is their paid service. They are even blocking their paid service from mobile devices. It's a matter of licensing from their content providers.
    I pay for HULU plus and still can't use the TP. that is what bothers me. I pay for the service can use any PC I have access to. Well my PC is my TP. Standard Browser no 3G. Just WIFI. not like Ihave a Touchpad with 3G or 4G access from anywhere.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flempitsky View Post
    I pay for HULU plus and still can't use the TP. that is what bothers me. I pay for the service can use any PC I have access to. Well my PC is my TP. Standard Browser no 3G. Just WIFI. not like Ihave a Touchpad with 3G or 4G access from anywhere.
    Then people like you, who are paid subscribers, should all cancel and specify the reason why. Hulu isn't going to change anything unless it is going to cost them money. If playing games with blocking certain devices starts to cause customers to cancel, enough of them, then I guarantee you they will change their tune. But as long as people just go "oh well, here's my money", they have no incentive to stop the BS.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I agree w/stopping the fixxes, if they continue to play cat and mouse they can go after the devs created it legally I'm sure since its published authors.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrancis999 View Post
    Amazon Prime works like a champ.
    are you paying the $79/yr, I was just wondering if amazon prime was worth it since everything else is broken? Amazon has like no contact support. One thing I'm wondering about is it free unlimited streaming of there whole catalog or you have to pay per movie? Currently it shows say a $4.99 movie to rent w/amazon prime, so I gotta pay yearly sub and per movie?

EDIT: its probably offered to all, but I can get yearly sub for 50% off @ 39$ for being a student.
    Last edited by h2o826; 09/17/2011 at 11:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Blame the studios. It their refusal to accept that the market demands are changing. They want to sell little plastic discs and they want to make all the profits. They HATE the idea of Netflix making money off of their products. Rather than take advantage of what companies like Netflix do, and adapt their business models to meet demand, they continuously shoot themselves in the foot by putting every company that provides a consumer service right out of business. Netflix wants to have every movie ever made and be able to stream it to you on every device. The studios simply won't let them, or won't let them do it for a price that will work. Same with Hulu....only Hulu is in a worse position because they are partially owned by a TV Network so they can't even fight the fight.

Pirating is not a problem. Its a symptom. Its the market saying "you aren't giving us what we want in the way we want it." You have to listen to the market and respond....not try to tell the market what to do.
    atg284 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by midas69 View Post
    Hey, it's their excuse, not mine

But I don't get it. I can see the content providers wanting to make their own deal with wireless carriers like Verizon and AT&T. But then why restrict WiFi access? Especially on a device that's WiFi only. There's just something in this whole thing that doesn't make sense.
    Of course I'm not saying it's your excuse ;p

But is it me or is my comment gone...?

Anyway I'm interested in whats gonna happen when windows 8 comes out..
    I just cancelled my HULU+; too many commercials and restrictions.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast