Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
    netflix doesn't work on the touchpad either
    But it works on almost every Android 2.2 or 2.3 device, which could be the touchpad in a couple more weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by likearaptor View Post
    But it works on almost every Android 2.2 or 2.3 device, which could be the touchpad in a couple more weeks.
    i doubt it'll be done in a couple more weeks, still a lot has to be done
    Quote Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
    netflix doesn't work on the touchpad either
    Whoa, thats odd, for some reason I thought that I had tested positive for play on the TP HMmmmmmm.......
    Hulu fix is easy...but has side affects. Frankly, I knew this was coming because of the broad reporting (including on PreCentral) of the patch.

Hulu blocked formerly based on the build version of Flash, which is much harder to change than the browser's "user agent" string. The patch changed the Flash build version string that is made available to sites....so Hulu said, "screw it, we'll block based on user agent too/instead"

So....

Can we change user agent? Yes. Very easily, but doing so has consequences, including:

• TP's browser will look like a different platform to websites...and hence, pages may not be optimized correctly...or may also have issues
    • Apparently, changing the user agent breaks the WebOS App Catalog

I suspect that a new patch will come out that allows user agent to change "on the fly"...and then we'll see what Hulu does next.

Seriously, this is lame. I am a Hulu Plus subscriber...and I get that they have platform restrictions based on licensing agreements with content-providers, but I cannot imagine why. The entire thing needs to be investigated by DOJ in my opinion.

Sincerely,
    Someone who is seconds away from dropping Hulu Plus.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Oh well, I guess will have to go back to downloading ad-free copies of shows instead of happily watching them with ads as I did before they blocked me.
    DOn't bother chasing fixes for Hulu. Hulu will come along and break every single one of them. Went through the same hassle on the Apple TV. When your devices makes it on their radar, that's it. They will continue to play the cat and mouse game and continually break any workarounds. Just find other sources of video than Hulu.com. That's the reality right now.
    so how does one go about changing the browser's UA? and can that change be implemented on the fly?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I don't use Hulu. Have those of you that subscribe to Hulu Plus (and pay $$$) tried contacting them?
    Quote Originally Posted by shanpalm61 View Post
    I agree, Amazon Prime is great!
    It is indeed, and hopefully will replace Netflix AND Hulu for y family soon. Well I guess it does until the Hulu Patch gets fixed again, sigh... And comes on the PS3 that is... Amazon IS considering it though...
    hulu sucks anyway
    Touchpaddle likes this.
    New Hulu patches shouldn't be all that hard to make up.
    As an alternative to a Hulu patch, I highly recommend PlayOn: Watch Internet Videos on Your TV | PlayOn
    Just checked.. and wow!
    They are really killing Hulu. Nothing on it.. Only plus and even that's bare.

Hulu isn't to blame btw, the media corporations are. Maybe if touchpads were still in production (or some other webos device) they would have a reason to create an app. But according to there agreements they can't allow the site on mobile devices.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I emailed Hulu support earlier today and just got this email.

"James, Sep-16 07:02 pm (PDT):

Thanks for writing in about Hulu on the HP TouchPad. Unfortunately, due to the contractual agreements with our content providers, we have to have a certain set of agreements set up with a device manufacturer before we can provide support for that device. We have no partnership with HP at this time, so we can't currently stream through their device.

We get a lot of requests for webOS support, so it's definitely something that's on our radar. Though we can't support it right now, we are continually evaluating new technologies, and we'll be adding more devices based on user demand. Stay tuned!

We have plans to bring Hulu Plus to as many devices as possible. For up to date info on which devices are currently supported or have been announced, you can go to ( Hulu - Plus ). On this page, you can even sign up to be notified of availability on upcoming devices.

If there's anything else I can address for you, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    James
    Hulu Support"

so I guess we have to bark at HP now.
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Hulu fix is easy...but has side affects. Frankly, I knew this was coming because of the broad reporting (including on PreCentral) of the patch.

Hulu blocked formerly based on the build version of Flash, which is much harder to change than the browser's "user agent" string. The patch changed the Flash build version string that is made available to sites....so Hulu said, "screw it, we'll block based on user agent too/instead"

So....

Can we change user agent? Yes. Very easily, but doing so has consequences, including:

• TP's browser will look like a different platform to websites...and hence, pages may not be optimized correctly...or may also have issues
    • Apparently, changing the user agent breaks the WebOS App Catalog

I suspect that a new patch will come out that allows user agent to change "on the fly"...and then we'll see what Hulu does next.

Seriously, this is lame. I am a Hulu Plus subscriber...and I get that they have platform restrictions based on licensing agreements with content-providers, but I cannot imagine why. The entire thing needs to be investigated by DOJ in my opinion.

Sincerely,
    Someone who is seconds away from dropping Hulu Plus.
    The patch here allows for turning off javascript, private browsing, and clearing the cache via a bookmark: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ly-faster.html

One could imagine a similar patch that would change the user-agent on the fly. It might not have to be a bookmark, but something that just detects the URL and switches the UA based on that.
    I never liked Hulu...

but in this case, I don't think Hulu is to blame.
    copasetic likes this.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrxblanchard View Post
    I emailed Hulu support earlier today and just got this email.

"James, Sep-16 07:02 pm (PDT):

Thanks for writing in about Hulu on the HP TouchPad. Unfortunately, due to the contractual agreements with our content providers, we have to have a certain set of agreements set up with a device manufacturer before we can provide support for that device. We have no partnership with HP at this time, so we can't currently stream through their device.

We get a lot of requests for webOS support, so it's definitely something that's on our radar. Though we can't support it right now, we are continually evaluating new technologies, and we'll be adding more devices based on user demand. Stay tuned!

We have plans to bring Hulu Plus to as many devices as possible. For up to date info on which devices are currently supported or have been announced, you can go to ( Hulu - Plus ). On this page, you can even sign up to be notified of availability on upcoming devices.

If there's anything else I can address for you, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    James
    Hulu Support"

so I guess we have to bark at HP now.
    What a load of crap. There is a huge difference between not supporting something and actively blocking it and any work arounds. They are basically saying "if you want us to stop blocking your access, complain to HP and get them to pay us.".

Hulu is going downhill fast. The media companies whine about all the piracy, but when people are willing to pay (a reasonable amount of) money to see something, or watch it with commercials (and give them ad revenue), they put up all these stop gaps to prevent people from enjoying the experience without jumping through a dozen hoops that continually change. What's next? Them allowing/blocking access based on the manufacturer of your computer?

Until companies wise up, piracy will continue to be the top choice for most people.
    copasetic likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    They block certain mobile devices so as to give incentive to buy their paid subscription. They are also looking to sell themselves and giving away services for free is not an attractive model for purchasers of companies.
    It's giving *me* incentive for sure, but paying for a Hulu plus subscription, ironically, is NOT it.
    Funny, I don't see a place on that page to sign up for notifications. I'd imagine if we hit them with 500k sign ups, they'd take notice.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    HULU FREE doesnt work either and it did... how do we get it back working...
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast