Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree23Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
    I agree with that, technology marches on at a blistering pace and the next big thing has long been in the pipeline before it reaches the shelves.

If I wanted to offload (and I don't) it would be before Christmas.
    Yeah, and technology depreciates fast as well, even if it's hard to come by, like a firesale TouchPad. It would have to be something that's extremely rare, or an unreleased gadget/prototype to actually go up in value over time. I suspect, the few Plam/HP employees who were using pre-production TouchPad Go's would get a killing if they sold that on ebay. But a regular TouchPad won't command alot, especially when there will be over 1 million of them in the wild.

Another example for the hoarders to think about is the coveted Cr-48 Chrome laptop by Google. In the beginning of the year, these things were selling for $500-$700+ on eBay. There were only 60,000 made & you had to be accepeted into Google's pilot program to get one. If you check ebay now, they are going for around $150-$300. These things are far more rare than a TouchPad. So again, to all the hoarders, sell em while you can. If you wait till after Christmas, you'll be sorry.
    DeadVim likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I look forward to picking up another one when the price comes back down.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Since I'll apparently never get one and you live nearby, maybe you can let me check yours out so I'll at least get the chance to see/use one in person instead of drooling over pics on the net? Ha ha..
    Sprint Pre Plus 1.4.5
    Dev Verizon Pre 2.1.0
    Weather App in the works...
    Quote Originally Posted by arctic_mobile View Post
    Don't expect it to be more than 100$ - if Android port succeds it'll push the price for a while - but i doubt that to happen any time soon...
    The firesale pushed webOS like no other marketing action before - but the public attendance only last for a while...
    first of all its not going to be honeycomb. Its going to be a patched to hell android 2.2. Second of all its going to be a dual boot device. I don't see why people are trying to add value to the tp by saying it will have android. Its just going to be a crippled mobile phone version running on the tp. In my opinion its not worth the time and effort.

to answer the question by then this device would be obsolete so it might sell for about $80 or so for the 32gig.
    Last edited by mtv757; 09/17/2011 at 09:50 AM.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Since I'll apparently never get one and you live nearby, maybe you can let me check yours out so I'll at least get the chance to see/use one in person instead of drooling over pics on the net? Ha ha..

wait... are we still talking about Touchpads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    wait... are we still talking about Touchpads?
    I hope so... Or things are starting to get weird in the touchpad forums :P.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtv757 View Post
    first of all its not going to be honeycomb. Its going to be a patched to hell android 2.2. Second of all its going to be a dual boot device. I don't see why people are trying to add value to the tp by saying it will have android. Its just going to be a crippled mobile phone version running on the tp. In my opinion its not worth the time and effort.

to answer the question by then this device would be obsolete so it might sell for about $80 or so for the 32gig.
    pretty sure it will be 2.3.6 and cm does not release 'hacks'.
    cm7 with tablet tweeks is NOT a crippled mobile phone version.

honestly where do you come up with this nonsense.
    muyoso likes this.
    Back to the original topic, I'm going to say...0.185 bars of gold-pressed latinum. The way the economies of the world are behaving, we may be moving to a precious metals basis for our currency, and we all know it isn't any nation here on earth causing our turmoil...it's those darned Ferengi waiting to pounce! Who do you think came up with the idea of a $99 TouchPad? So here we are, cutthroat bidding and buying and selling of a limited number of TouchPads...next thing you know there will be human sacrifices, dogs and cats will be living together...mass hysteria!

BTW, the Ferengi are also responsible for the $0.99 value menu at Wendy's restaurant, undercutting the Romulan-run McDonald's (and you thought Ronald was Scottish) by a whole penny!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by mtv757 View Post

Its not and never was going to be a patched to hell android 2.2. They are porting 2.3.4 as we speak and have almost everything working. They are ONLY porting 2.3.4 so that the instant ICS is released, which it will be in a month or so, it will make porting the true tablet OS a lot easier.

Even if they didn't ever port a tablet OS and left it with a "crippled mobile phone version", which isn't going to happen, I like many others would be on it in a second. Maybe if WebOS was more mature and had a functional browser and some apps that were quality I could stick around, but even a "crippled phone OS" on the tablet is better than what I have now.

As for the original question, the tablet will be worth MAYBE 100 dollars in a year unopened. In a couple months there will be quad core tablets that are destroying with regards to performance, which will push the dual core tablets cheaper and cheaper. Also, there most likely will be a price war with tablets within the next year as more and more companies including Intel get involved making android tablets. Also, Win8 drops next year and no one is going to want an old tablet with a dead OS when Windows 8 tablets are a month away.
    Last edited by muyoso; 09/17/2011 at 04:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    Even if they didn't ever port a tablet OS and left it with a "crippled mobile phone version", which isn't going to happen, I like many others would be on it in a second. Maybe if WebOS was more mature and had a functional browser and some apps that were quality I could stick around, but even a "crippled phone OS" on the tablet is better than what I have now.
    Have you tried the advanced browser that is now available? It might give you a better experience. Flash is nice too...so I hear. Still looking to find a TP.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Have you tried the advanced browser that is now available? It might give you a better experience. Flash is nice too...so I hear. Still looking to find a TP.
    Yea, been using it since I bought the Touchpad. Its better, but still barebones and buggy.
    I think it depends on if someone buys webos and how many HP makes during this next run.
    Quote Originally Posted by itsme View Post
    I think it depends on if someone buys webos and how many HP makes during this next run.
    Unless it can compete at the price point it takes to build, market and ship, it's over.

In a few years it will be the Palm Centro of tablets - or the first generation Pre of tablets.
    My answer is it (a sealed brand new touchpad) will still be worth around 200$. With the ease-of-hackability and the power of the device it will easily still be competetive hardware even that far into the future - a dual core tablet that can pretty easily OC to 1.8ghz per core is no slouch, and it'll still be "no slouch" a year from now. Considering the fact that quad core computing really has no place on such a device, I'd bet that dual 1.8ghz puts that year-old touchpad among the fastest processor'ed tablets out there. Seriously, that's some dead-sexy powerful hardware.

Of course, webOS will still be dragging it down, and it will not be living up to the power of it's hardware because of this. Dual 1.8ghz looks and feels awfully sluggish thanks to webOS's somewhat "beta" state. Yes, webOS is a nice OS, but there are just too many fundamental "bad" bits that really keep it from shining (I won't sit here and list them off for the sake of time, but the fact is the system even at dual 1.8ghz is REMARKABLY slower than a 1ghz ipad 2). HP laying off the majority of it's webOS division doesn't exactly keep the light on for future updates either, so I wouldn't be expecting any webOS performance increases or rendering fixes. It's very possible we are looking at the most advanced version of webOS we're likely to get, and that's a sad thing.

Because of all this, it's likely your buyer won't be looking for the touchpad to run webOS . It'll probably be bought by someone looking to load ICS into it, and they'll enjoy the hell out of the device as it likely will continue to be one of the most powerful tablets that runs android, even a full year in the future. ICS running at 1.8ghz dual-core is very likely going to -scream- on this tablet. You'll end up with robust app support, -proper- web rendering (no more garbage-garbled-text rendering and rubber-banding when scrolling), and tweaks a plenty. The basic specs, form factor, and the beautiful screen will continue to be competitive and functional compared to any tablet on the market. I'd expect amazing things from this port, when it is available.

In the end, the touchpad even in it's stock webos state will remain an awesome little casual net browser/video player/audio device/ereader. I don't see them selling for sub 100$ a year from now even "pre-enjoyed". There's just sooooooo much ability in this device at that price point. If they start hitting the 100$ barrier I'll be snatching up every single one I can grab - I can think up a dozen different projects/uses for a touchpad at this price.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    DeadVim and 2TouchDroid? like this.
    sorry about that. I was going by what this 1 news website said. They are porting gingerbread. The only upside I see to this port is the availability of apps. It still has a long way to go.... Check out this video

Jamo IW 827 LCR In-Wall Speaker delivers audiophile quality sound - SlashGear

maybe when they get it fully operational I might try it but I would not pay more for a hp touchpad just cuz it can dual boot android
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123