webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Is there a solution to "Cannot Open MIME Type"?
Is there a solution to "Cannot Open MIME Type"?
Like Tree2Likes

Old 09/15/2011, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hi all,

I read this forum extensively before posting this question, but just couldn't see a clear-cut answer anywhere:

Is there an actual fix out there for the "Cannot Open MIME Type" error when trying to download PDF files from secure websites? Has HP made any commitment to fix this, to anyone's knowledge?

The fact that a $500 product from a company of HP's repute fails to perform such a basic function boggles my mind - my 4 year-old BlackBerry can manage it fine! Downloading an email attachment must be one of the most common use cases there is. How on earth was it overlooked or deemed unnecessary?

Those of us who jumped aboard the $100 bandwagon hardly have much of a leg to stand on with our complaints, but if I had shelled out half a grand to buy the HP TouchPad over the iPad, I would be a very angry bunny. Fix this, HP, for goodness sake.
JohnnyBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by urchlynmel likes this.
Old 09/15/2011, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post3146709 only working on stock browser for me..also you can install ubuntu to dl anything
Turboyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2011, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboyo View Post
http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post3146709 only working on stock browser for me..also you can install ubuntu to dl anything
Hi Turboyo,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Is WebOS Quick Install the way to get these patches installed?
Old 09/16/2011, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

OK, so now I get a step further.

The file downloads and Adobe Reader launches when I try to open it, and then I get the following:

"Quickoffice has enecountered an error with this file". Grrrrrr......

Any ideas where to go from here?
Thanked By: mark sedor
Old 09/17/2011, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've seen this when trying to open PDFs / EPUBs that were protected with Adobe DRM. Need to have my library request Touchpad support from Adobe.
db_white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2011, 12:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have a HP touchpad and I keep getting mime error when I try and download anything to the HP touch I have no idea where to go to find the files I need to download can anyone help
anichamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2011, 01:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

I've been trying to download PDFs from a webserver running on the touchpad (in chroot) so they would open in the stock browser. I don't get a mime error, I get ... nothing. The download manager opens, shows the "downloading" bar for a few seconds then just shows the download button. Does this also happen for PDFs on other sites, and could the patch be the solution for me?
DrPotoroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2011, 01:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Did you change the file extension on the downloaded file? Down load internalz pro from preware or webOS quick install. find the file in internalz pro and tap it . A box will open up that says info , open etc. Tap the info button and the file will open up with the name of the file at the top of the page. Here is were you can change the name of the file and its extention. ie rename the file and make the extension .pdf then open the with quickoffice.

DrPotoroo. Yes this might help you download files.

Last edited by cjf243; 09/23/2011 at 01:33 AM. Reason: added another comment
cjf243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2011, 01:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

I had the same problem with mine error. I installed the patch and have had no problems downloading a pdf file from my secure union and financial web sites.
Old 09/24/2011, 11:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjf243 View Post
Did you change the file extension on the downloaded file? Down load internalz pro from preware or webOS quick install. find the file in internalz pro and tap it . A box will open up that says info , open etc. Tap the info button and the file will open up with the name of the file at the top of the page. Here is were you can change the name of the file and its extention. ie rename the file and make the extension .pdf then open the with quickoffice.

This works for me. It's just difficult to explain to the rest of the family who expect things to just work like they would with their computer.
bmacfarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/2011, 05:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

I tried the patch - still have the same problem. I also tried the renaming method, but the files aren't even there (I'm assuming I'm meant to be looking in /media/internal/downloads/). Anyway, for my purposes it is easier to just have my PHP script move the file to /media/internal, then open reader and it shows up straight away. Being able to launch from a link in the browser just would have been nice.
Old 09/24/2011, 07:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjf243 View Post

I have tried changing the file extension on the downloaded files but the problem is, I tried to download a 1.2mb pdf file, and it shows up as 2.3kb only, so when I try to change the file extension, it still gives me the same error. Anyone had any better experience with this?
pacoman757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2011, 06:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacoman757 View Post
I have tried changing the file extension on the downloaded files but the problem is, I tried to download a 1.2mb pdf file, and it shows up as 2.3kb only, so when I try to change the file extension, it still gives me the same error. Anyone had any better experience with this?
I'd try opening the file as plain text. I suspect that you will find it has actually downloaded a 404 error or a page that is meant to link to the actual PDF.
Old 11/16/2011, 10:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboyo View Post
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question...but how the heck do you install these patches?

Specifically, the part that says, "You need to install both the ipk AND the patch, or it won't work.
You also MUST install "Homebrew JS Service Framework" from Preware."

I can figure out the Homebrew-from-Preware part...but I don't know how to to the "ipk AND the patch" part.

Last edited by W3idbrewer; 11/16/2011 at 10:52 AM.
Weidbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2011, 12:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

if you have the 3.0.4 update. Then these patches will not work. I.E. 3.0.4 broke the patches, waiting for the fix to the patches. I originally installed these patches with webOS quickinstall. Took the ipk's and installed them with my desktop. Checkout webOS quickinstall (WOSQI) user guide in the app catalog, 99 cents. Well worth the investment. It will answer all of these type of questions.
Old 11/18/2011, 01:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

I have the 3.0.4 update. I have installed the webos quickinstall, preware. I still have the MIME error. Is there anything else I can do?
4dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2011, 01:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

I have the 3.0.4 update. I have installed the webos quickinstall, preware. I still have the MIME error. Is there anything else I can do?
4dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2011, 03:45 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dreamin View Post
Not looking like it....

Totally baffles me that something this basic can't be done. Hell, my old *Blackberry* could...
Weidbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2011, 01:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

Has anyone heard anything from Hp in regards to the Mime error when trying to open an excel, pdf, or word document? It is quite frustrating!! Could this possibly be related to an update to webos?
Just73Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2011, 01:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoston View Post
Hi all,

I read this forum extensively before posting this question, but just couldn't see a clear-cut answer anywhere:

Is there an actual fix out there for the "Cannot Open MIME Type" error when trying to download PDF files from secure websites? Has HP made any commitment to fix this, to anyone's knowledge?

The fact that a $500 product from a company of HP's repute fails to perform such a basic function boggles my mind - my 4 year-old BlackBerry can manage it fine! Downloading an email attachment must be one of the most common use cases there is. How on earth was it overlooked or deemed unnecessary?

Those of us who jumped aboard the $100 bandwagon hardly have much of a leg to stand on with our complaints, but if I had shelled out half a grand to buy the HP TouchPad over the iPad, I would be a very angry bunny. Fix this, HP, for goodness sake.
Have you heard anything from anyone out there as to a possible solution to the mime error?
Just73Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by agmorris1 likes this.

Tags
mime pdf secure

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0