webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Is there a solution to "Cannot Open MIME Type"?
Is there a solution to "Cannot Open MIME Type"?
Like Tree2Likes

Old 02/20/2013, 02:12 PM   #21 (permalink)

I'm sorry, I'm sure al of you must be tired of seeing these posts by now. I'm a new user, bought my TP off Amazon for a deal as a gift to myself. Been reading on the forum for over a month now, trying a few of the solutions. Even had 2 friends who are tech savvy more than myself and still have been unable to fix this.
I have plugged it up to my computer- attempted to download the zip files this way, and its installed on my desktop; but I'm so lost just after this! I'm looking to try to get this going for school - anyway to get this going wirelessly maybe?
I even read thru the online manual to figure out the install for homebrew applications - yea I'm lost.
Tempest Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Georgios Keramiotis
Old 02/21/2013, 12:06 PM   #22 (permalink)

Anytime I can't open a pdf directly from the web, i download it and then use InternalZ to rename the extension to .pdf and most of the time this works.

If not, I remote into my desktop, open it there, save, and email it to myself. Definitely not ideal, but it works when i want it to.

RETIRED:
16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Mine
32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - LunaCE 4.9.5 - Also Mine
16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Wife's (replaced with GS3)
32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - Also Wife's

Past: 2 Sprint Pre(minuses), a Sprintified Pre+, and a Sprintified Pre2.
C_McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2013, 08:45 PM   #23 (permalink)

I'm not so good at this computer terminology but anytime I try to download an app or an update of sum type it says cannot open MIME type idk wut to do if sum1 cares to give sum advice it would b greatly appreciated
Dominick Van Zandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2013, 09:55 PM   #24 (permalink)

You'll have to download it by long clicking the link, then select download link. The downloaded ipk can be accessed and installed in downloads folder.
TUFF Stough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2013, 10:29 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anichamberlain View Post
I have a HP touchpad and I keep getting mime error when I try and download anything to the HP touch I have no idea where to go to find the files I need to download can anyone help
What I always did when I got the cannot open MIME files, waw to do2nload it first to my PC, then move it over tt the tablet that way.:
slotalkinwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2013, 01:20 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just73Gray View Post
Has anyone heard anything from Hp in regards to the Mime error when trying to open an excel, pdf, or word document? It is quite frustrating!! Could this possibly be related to an update to webos?
I don't think there will be any update from HP now...
speter0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2013, 09:32 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weidbrewer View Post
Not looking like it....

Totally baffles me that something this basic can't be done. Hell, my old *Blackberry* could...
urchlynmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/2014, 04:00 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anichamberlain View Post
I have a HP touchpad and I keep getting mime error when I try and download anything to the HP touch I have no idea where to go to find the files I need to download can anyone help
. My touchpad is useless without mime. I'm ready to write articles of *what a mistake it is to purchase a touchpad!*
Debby Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/2014, 06:54 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debby Kennedy View Post
. My touchpad is useless without mime. I'm ready to write articles of *what a mistake it is to purchase a touchpad!*
What file extensions are you trying to download? PDF works fine, XLS works as well on my touchpad. Some links are not properly formed and it messes with the file header and will not open properly if at all.
mckelveyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2014, 08:08 PM   #30 (permalink)

I had this same problem a month ago and never could get an answer that worked.
daver61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2014, 03:44 AM   #31 (permalink)

1st, it's nice to see, ppl are still buying Touchpads.
2nd, I hope you all realize, this is a discontinued device which has no official support anymore.

Ok, that settled I would recommend to tell exactly, where the problem lies and read exactly, what the people write as a suggested solution.

So if you speak about opening a certain file (i.e. PDF) from an external source (webpage) or from a mail, there is always the oportunity to SAVE the file to your device. How this works, has been described in this thread before, so I won't elaborate again.
With the file on the device you have to either find a software which can open it (for PDF there is the standard adobe reader or kingsoft office) or copy it to your pc (via USB, via mail, via Dropbox or whatever) and open it there.

Well, now you've got your options listed and need not be all grumpy about this problem anymore.

Be happy, that a device, that was discontinued in 2011 still works for you.
Old 04/16/2014, 07:42 AM   #32 (permalink)

Buddy1969, I think you may be confusing webOS for Android (or maybe with ACL) as Kingsoft is not available for the TP.

We have QuickOffice (now part of Google) or Picsel Smart Office.

If you're using PDF's, I must suggest you also install one of the patches from [PATCH/IPK]Adobe PDF Reader Enhancements either should work and it is trial and error as to which one you prefer.

There are a number of patches in Preware that may also help you with your TP although none 'fix' the mime error.
MikeN68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mime pdf secure

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0