Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #1  
    Geez, ***. I just apparently bricked my touchpad which is brand new and someone was to come and buy it from me. I had the F15c kernel and some patches on it and it's not common knowledge (or there was no warning anywhere) that you have to remove it before you do a factory restore. Anyway, I did a Secure Full Erase so the buyer can take the touchpad and it was stuck on the bootloader with all this nonsense typing out.
    I hard reset it with Home+PWR and then put it in recovery and used webOS.
    WebOS doctor gets to 8% and it says "Unable to reset your touchpad".

W. T. F

Any one have any suggestions here?? Is this a damn expensive paper weight now?? The dude is on his way to buy it too. Great.....

I can't turn it off. When it restarts it loads up F15c kernel icons up on the top left corner and a whole bunch of crap comes out on the bootloader with a "loading" spinning circle in the middle.
    Last edited by kettlecorn; 09/15/2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: EDIT: wasn't bricked. fixed it. thanks for the help
    just go to palm.com/Rom on your pc and doctor it.
    Boot it while holding the up volume button, then doctor after that.

Secondly, the webOS Doctor will wipe the kernel and everything else you've done to the device. And this is a good thing, because it is important for people to do their own mods and understand the processes behind them.
    oh wait, you said you ran it in recovery? Okay, run it from the command line so you can see where it is failing
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    oh wait, you said you ran it in recovery? Okay, run it from the command line so you can see where it is failing

Yeah i got webos doctor 3.0.2 and put it in recovery and at 8%, it says unable to.

How do you run it from command line? Mind helping me out?

Currently I just left it on and its got all this white typing crap on it and "appears" to be processing stuff like it says "msm_timer_set_next_event....etc"
    and the circle loading thing is still spinning.
    Can people please, and I can't emphasize the word please any more, but can people PLEASE stop using the word 'bricked'? I see it everywhere, I really dislike the word 'bricked'... maybe I'm misunderstanding things but most likely your touchpad isn't a brick, 99.9% of the time you can doctor it...
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Dis, treodoc755, vella_ and 3 others like this.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Can people please, and I can't emphasize the word please any more, but can people PLEASE stop using the word 'bricked'? I see it everywhere, and I honestly never want to open the thread to read and help. I know it's not my job to help, but I really dislike the word 'bricked'... especially when it isn't
    Yeah but to someone who doesn't really know programming or development, a tablet that doesn't turn on or has some weird crap running through the screen and webos doctor not working seems bricked. I dont know the technical definition of bricked, but if this isn't bricked then a sigh of relief.

I just need to work!
    make sure the device is charged, or it will pause until the charge level is high enough. If it hangs for a looooong time, run it again. Sometimes it takes a couple.
    there are instructions for the command line here
    How To Recover
  10.    #10  
    there are instructions for the command line here
    How To Recover
    I ran it in terminal (osx) and got this:
    Sep 15, 2011 4:56:58 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got controller
    Sep 15, 2011 4:56:58 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got devices 1
    Sep 15, 2011 4:56:58 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runnerFinished
    INFO: device runner done
    Sep 15, 2011 4:56:58 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runnerFinished
    WARNING: flashing failed, move to failed card

It stops at 8% so I read the How to Restore, where it has listed the problem where it stops at 8%.
    Unfortunately I can't extract the ULimage because when I try to extract .tar.gz (very last one), it says permissions are denied. Any tips?
    Not sure tbh. I've membooted before and was able to get into the archives just fine using 7-zip
  12.    #12  
    Not sure tbh. I've membooted before and was able to get into the archives just fine using 7-zip

Okay it looks like I don't even need to unzip that file cause there's the ulimage right next to it.

Anyway I put it in novacom and ran the commands off the HOW TO RECOVER website, "stops at 8%" section and am running webOS doctor recovery again. it got past 8% and is going so I think it's working.

Ill update.
    Cantaffordit and fxspec06 like this.
  13.    #13  
    Hey guys, thanks a lot for your help. I felt like some Swordfish hacker lol The buyer was waiting nearby and I was frantically typing and researching trying to fix this factory reboot.

The guide in the website worked, and everything was restored by webOS doctor.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Can people please, and I can't emphasize the word please any more, but can people PLEASE stop using the word 'bricked'? I see it everywhere, I really dislike the word 'bricked'... maybe I'm misunderstanding things but most likely your touchpad isn't a brick, 99.9% of the time you can doctor it...
    We could start calling them 'slightly bricked'.
    Quote Originally Posted by kettlecorn View Post
    Okay it looks like I don't even need to unzip that file cause there's the ulimage right next to it.

Anyway I put it in novacom and ran the commands off the HOW TO RECOVER website, "stops at 8%" section and am running webOS doctor recovery again. it got past 8% and is going so I think it's working.

Ill update.
    I can't get pass the 8% too (I think I have a corrupted USB drive), and followed the command lines from the Recovery website too. Did you change any commandlines? I still can't get pass 8%. Any pointers would be appreciated.

"

First put the device into recovery mode, then memboot the device using the installer uImage (extracted from your webOS Doctor jar):
    novacom boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-castle.uImage

(I use nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage instead, that was in the webosdoctor)

After it boots, run novaterm:
    novaterm

Once connected to the device, type:
    lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
    lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure

then type:
    mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media

Once that completes, put the device back into recovery mode and run the webOS Doctor.

"
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Good to hear you fixed it

Maybe Borked instead of Bricked would be better.
    ikimashokie likes this.
    How about "clayed"? Ya know, cuz it's not a solid brick.
    \m/(>.<)\m/
    workerb likes this.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by isosunrise View Post
    I can't get pass the 8% too (I think I have a corrupted USB drive), and followed the command lines from the Recovery website too. Did you change any commandlines? I still can't get pass 8%. Any pointers would be appreciated.

"

First put the device into recovery mode, then memboot the device using the installer uImage (extracted from your webOS Doctor jar):
    novacom boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-castle.uImage

(I use nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage instead, that was in the webosdoctor)

After it boots, run novaterm:
    novaterm

Once connected to the device, type:
    lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
    lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure

then type:
    mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media

Once that completes, put the device back into recovery mode and run the webOS Doctor.

"
    That's pretty much what I did. Except of course instead of "castle" you type "topaz". Make sure the device is in recovery mode as well.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I thought I bricked my Touchpad after trying the CyanogenMod Alpha. I watched the video instead of reading the README and didn't put the moboot file in the cminstall directory like I should have. I was able to boot Android but couldn't get back into WebOS. I couldn't get this to work for me at 2am but I tried again this morning, following each step slowly and finally got WebOS back. Thank you very much for the novaterm info! I figured I'd add my experience in case anyone else is having a hard time getting from CyanogenMod Alpha back into WebOS like me. It took me about 6 hours trying a lot of different things but this finally worked! I'll wait for the Beta before I try again. At least I know now not to forget the moboot and CWM files.

I did remember to Backup WebOS in the Settings before I tried anything so I got most of my setup back!

Jeez, it brought me back to the days of using WebOS Doctor back on my original Pre. If it wasn't for those experiences it would have likely added a few more hours to my recovery.
    I like "clayed". LOL

"bricked light" ??

"pseudo bricked" ??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast