Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    came home to a dead Touchpad. Had left it in the Touchstone dock over night, so thought maybe it had been knocked loose during the day and drained as a result. Plugged it into the power adapter (micro USB) that came with it direct to the wall and it's still not coming on.

any ideas? Haven't ever hacked it, overclocked it etc.. i
    hold power button and home button down together for at least 30 seconds or until you see the HP logo.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    hold power button and home button down together for at least 30 seconds or until you see the HP logo.
    tried that for at least 40 seconds but never saw the HP logo display
    That happened to me, you should probably check the power. It's probably not charged. Coarse I don't know anything about Touchstone, but that magnetic thing can't be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    That happened to me, you should probably check the power. It's probably not charged. Coarse I don't know anything about Touchstone, but that magnetic thing can't be good.
    Touchstone is perfectly safe. Many of us have been using touchstones for years now. I haven't plugged in either touchpad, either Veer, or the Pre2. Hadn't plugged in the original Pre's for well over a year.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Touchstone is perfectly safe. Many of us have been using touchstones for years now. I haven't plugged in either touchpad, either Veer, or the Pre2. Hadn't plugged in the original Pre's for well over a year.
    I agree. Touchstones are safe. However, you might have a faulty touchstone, or power cable. try plugging the TP in using the charging adapter you got with your TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    I agree. Touchstones are safe. However, you might have a faulty touchstone, or power cable. try plugging the TP in using the charging adapter you got with your TP.
    Agreed I should have added that.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    I tried that for a bit too. Should I expect it to power up (either 'naturally' or via the home+power button) when plugged in, or will it need to charge for a bit before it will do that?
    You should just wait for a while, it should come back on.
  10.    #10  
    it's been hooked up to the original charger for about two hours now and no change. touchpad still doesn't turn on, even after power+home for a minute.

will HP service these if I contact them, or am I out of luck? anything else I should try?
    Quote Originally Posted by jason.brown@aa.com View Post
    it's been hooked up to the original charger for about two hours now and no change. touchpad still doesn't turn on, even after power+home for a minute.

will HP service these if I contact them, or am I out of luck? anything else I should try?
    All TouchPad's are covered by a 1yr warranty from HP. You should be fine, just call them up & they'll either ask you to send it in to be repaired, or send you a refurb as a replacement.
    Same thing has happened to me. I am a former Pre, Pixi, and Pre2 owner and have had much success with touchstones in the past...

However, I left my touchpad (in its HP case) on the TS for about 18 hours. When I got back, blank screen. I tried to charge it with 2 different wall chargers, still no dice. Tried several of the recommended button combos: No USB mode, No lights, no response at all.

I called HP Butler Service. They walked me through the same button combos again and eventually conceded that maybe my TP was dead. So, they sent me a prepaid UPS box overnight. Got it yesterday, sending it off today...

Even though it sucks that I have to send my new TP off, HP has provided excellent service in response...
    At least you don't have to take it INTO an apple store. That was the only way I could get my Iphone fixed ASAP.

Looks like there may be a problem with the touchstone devices........Guess thats a forwarning.
    Before you call HP, check the HP-supplied plug. The plug has two pieces connecting near the prongs. Make sure that the two pieces are securely twisted together. Also try to charge with a different USB cable.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Yup +1 with what bevcraw said. When I had my touchpad drained, I noticed that no matter how I try it, it does not charge. I was in a panic and read that if you twist the tip (where the outlet prongs are attached) it worked. At first I twisted it to the left, plugged it .. nothing. Twisted it to the right, it worked!

Almost got a heart attack that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I had this exact problem yesterday and again today. Battery life was pretty good around 40% still left.

I don't understand why it would suddenly require holding power & home button to turn the tablet on.
    If you hold the power/home/volume button down for 10 seconds, the TP will reset.
    Ok, same problem for me this morning: was using TP without issue last night. I put TP(inside of HP case) on touchstone (as I have for last couple of weeks) to sit overnight. Got up this morning to a dead TP. Reset TP on TS thinking it was not seated properly; no change. Tried plugging TP via USB into computer; no change. Attempted twisting A/C adapter plug and tried plugging directly into A/C; no change. Am now using a different HP supplied A/C adapter plug (one came with TS and one with TP). Waiting a while to let it "juice-up".
    Has anyone actually had this happen and recover WITHOUT sending back into HP for "repair"? Anyone sent in for "repair" and gotten word from HP as to actual issue?
    Thanks.
    mrbjr#WN likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrktt View Post
    Ok, same problem for me this morning: was using TP without issue last night. I put TP(inside of HP case) on touchstone (as I have for last couple of weeks) to sit overnight. Got up this morning to a dead TP. Reset TP on TS thinking it was not seated properly; no change. Tried plugging TP via USB into computer; no change. Attempted twisting A/C adapter plug and tried plugging directly into A/C; no change. Am now using a different HP supplied A/C adapter plug (one came with TS and one with TP). Waiting a while to let it "juice-up".
    Has anyone actually had this happen and recover WITHOUT sending back into HP for "repair"? Anyone sent in for "repair" and gotten word from HP as to actual issue?
    Thanks.
    FYI: HP AC/DC adapter has higher output than most generating 5.3V=2.0A v. 4.9V=0.85A of most. I have three HP AC adapters available to me (2 TPs, 1 TS) and I will step thru all of them in an effort to eliminate that as an issue.

Also, I remember with a collegue's Pre2 that if his battery was VERY dead it would not boot until it had been charged past some magical point so I'm letting it sit for a while plugged directly to AC adapter via USB cable.
    I did. Happened to several of us last week (threads are in this forum). I actually had a box sent, tried again to plug in after leaving it on a TS overnight (it was NOT on a TS when it died but just wasn't used for a week). However, I plugged it into a charger again after trying every combination of buttons known to man, and I noticed the blinking lights on the home button. Left it alone and after an hour or so, the battery icon appeared. For some reason batteries are not charging easily and are dying fairly quickly, and it appears the TS might not have enough juice to initially get it started. I do have a box now and don't need it, but I figure there's a good chance I will at some point.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast