Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by noxis View Post
    A key combo I learned from palm support was press and hold power button then press the centre button 10 times in a row while still holding power.

It took two goes of the above for me, first time I pressed them quite slowly, second time pressed them quite fast and it worked.
    Thank you very much. It is almost surprising that a charging battery icon will bring a smile to my face.
    The 10x quick clicks worked after nothing else did.
    I have extra chargers, a new USB cord, exhibition chargers, everything, and nothing worked until this hint popped up. I have been trying every hint I could find.
    On the 2nd effort with the 10 quick clicks, the charging icon showed up and now we sit and wait.
    It has been a long two weeks without my little flat friend.
    I had another one that was stolen and the potential loss of this one was sad, to say the least.
    So, thanks again, Mr. 10X.
    Allow me to join the others...TP on charger all night, comatose in the morning, plugged in directly, checked charger, read webos Nation, tried everything, still comatose. In afternoon, retried 10x, 20, 30x, different combinations, and suddenly ,,, blinking lights and reboot.

You all are a great resource!

Thanks,

-Brian
    Been Palm since Handspring Visor!
    My touch pad wont turn on found it dead flat on charging dock, left it there overnight to charge next day nothing no boot, no battery symbol, no light on button , tried direct charging via usb and hp charger , no good
    tried trickle charge with ph charger , no good , tried key press power and home reset, nope, tried 10x home click nope, very sad Touchpad has been good since fire sale.

will leave it on USB ph charge overnight and try again tomorrow.
    Last edited by Firepower; 05/07/2012 at 09:07 AM.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    These same things happened to one of ours a while ago. It went loopy while charging on the touchstone and wouldn't come back on. I thought it was dead. Over two days, I pressed all kinds of button combos, tried charging from many wires, chargers and touchstones, twisting charger bases, letting it sit, etc. Then all of a sudden I noticed the home button blinking. Pressed one of the reset combos and got the battery or usb symbol (can't remember which one). I got it to come back up and had to sign in from scratch (probably from all the resets I tried) and it has been working fine ever since.
    Quote Originally Posted by amrcc View Post
    These same things happened to one of ours a while ago. It went loopy while charging on the touchstone and wouldn't come back on. I thought it was dead. Over two days, I pressed all kinds of button combos, tried charging from many wires, chargers and touchstones, twisting charger bases, letting it sit, etc. Then all of a sudden I noticed the home button blinking. Pressed one of the reset combos and got the battery or usb symbol (can't remember which one). I got it to come back up and had to sign in from scratch (probably from all the resets I tried) and it has been working fine ever since.
    well on charge over night and all day still no sign of life. tried button presses again nothing, try another day on ph charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
    well on charge over night and all day still no sign of life. tried button presses again nothing, try another day on ph charger.
    try plugging it in and unplugging it a bunch of times, plug it in for 15 seconds or so then unplug it. Do that 20 times or so (somebody had a theory that it wouldn't let power through except in short bursts when it was fully discharged. I probably did that before mine revived too, just because I was trying all kinds of different things and plugging/unplugging them to see if anything helped. USB port on computer, Phone USB, TouchStone, HP Wall plug.

I guess if you have a Touchstone, I would do the double charge thing too (put it on the Touchstone on its side with speakers down and with the USB phone charger plugged in too.) So it is getting the low level power from the phone USB cord and could theoretically draw from the Touchstone at the same time. I did that for maybe an hour shortly before I got life out of the phone USB charger, so maybe the USB feed is enough to power the inductive charger. I don't think that was what did it, but I don't really know. What do you have to lose at this point, might as well try it.

I would also get a light and maybe a magnifier and look at the USB port and see if anything looks awry down there. There could be dirt on the contacts or something so the port isn't connecting to the charger cable.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamw23 View Post
    I would also get a light and maybe a magnifier and look at the USB port and see if anything looks awry down there. There could be dirt on the contacts or something so the port isn't connecting to the charger cable.
    Way back in the Pocket PC days ^^^that^^^ solved a charging problem for me. I doubt you put your TouchPad in your pocket, but lint or something could still have gotten in there.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    When I purchased my first TP when they first came out, I had a similar problem with it. I returned it to the store and got another one the next day. The technician there tried to tell me that I had damaged the micro usb port and bent something in there. He said he got it work after straightening something. I didn't pay much attention at the time to exactly what he said...I had a second one and didn't really care. Now I am having the same issue on my wife's TP. I have tried everything suggested above to no avail.
    Treo 650, Sprint Pre-, Sprint FrankenPre2, AT&T Pre3 and Touchpad X 3
    Still dead try one more overnight and day charge on ph charger and also have it sitting on touchstone dock.
    so 2 charging type, have plug in and out many times from hp charger to ph to pc usb charging
    have also done 10 x press and home and power reset still no response.
    I've got the same problem with my Touchpad. I have had it on the Touchstone overnight, connected to a computer by usb overnight and plugged into the wall via usb. I have also tried the various button combinations listed in this thread. No luck so far.
    Still no go, download bluestack android emulator on my pc so i can keep playing with android. miss CM9.
    Is there a webos emulator? I really missing my webos daily fix.
    If it not fixed this weekend I will send back under warranty to HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
    Still no go, download bluestack android emulator on my pc so i can keep playing with android. miss CM9.
    Is there a webos emulator? I really missing my webos daily fix.
    If it not fixed this weekend I will send back under warranty to HP.
    https://developer.palm.com/content/a.../emulator.html
    Here's the emulator link, for webOS. Note that it will not perform the same as there is no hardware accelleration.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Its still dead. I've tried every suggestion here. Plugged it in to every charger and cable I have at the house. Still no luck. I bought it off EBAY used, will HP repair it under warranty?
    In my situation, my TouchPad was under warranty. I sent it in and just got it back last week. They did wipe all data and restore to factory defaults while they had it. There was just a standard letter returned with the box so there were no specifics on what was done to repair. I checked the serial number, they did return the same device.
    I just revived a dead TP over the weekend. I was planning on doing a write-up of my experiences in trying everything else that others and HP had recommended, but it will be a few days before I can devote any time to it.

If you can get to the point where you are getting a qhsusb_dload error or getting the PC to recognize it as a Palm device through Device Manager, let it charge from your computer for a couple of hours. There are a number of steps you need to go through to get that far (putting the TP into low-level load mode), so I'll need to take some time to write up my experiences and get the order correct.

If the TP has been charging on the PC, the back will feel slightly warm. Then you can put it on a regular wall charger and it will have enough of a charge to charge itself.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Do Not Touch View Post
    I just revived a dead TP over the weekend. I was planning on doing a write-up of my experiences in trying everything else that others and HP had recommended, but it will be a few days before I can devote any time to it.

If you can get to the point where you are getting a qhsusb_dload error or getting the PC to recognize it as a Palm device through Device Manager, let it charge from your computer for a couple of hours. There are a number of steps you need to go through to get that far (putting the TP into low-level load mode), so I'll need to take some time to write up my experiences and get the order correct.

If the TP has been charging on the PC, the back will feel slightly warm. Then you can put it on a regular wall charger and it will have enough of a charge to charge itself.
    Anxiously awaiting your write up. Mine certainly fits in the VERY dead category.
    ^^ I really don't have the time to do a proper write-up, but I feel your pain and don't want to leave anybody twisting in the wind.

Brief background: The TouchPad's charging is controlled electronically. It checks to see if the battery needs a charge, if the battery's temperature is in a safe range and other factors before it will accept a charge. The TouchPad needs power to make all of these measurements and decisions, so if the battery level falls too low, it won't even recognize the charger. There is another thread here that discusses a procedure to physically access or even remove the battery and charge it with an external battery charger -- pretty dangerous stuff, unless you know what you're doing.

What seemed to happen with mine was that I was able to put the TP into a low-level loader mode which allowed the PC's USB connection to charge the battery enough to allow the TP to recognize the wall charger.

Step 1: Even though your TP may be off, and may appear to be dead, you have to make sure that it really is off. Press and hold the Power Button and tap the Home-Center Button (the one at the bottom of the screen) 20 times. Really, the first 15 presses should perform some kind of emergency power-off, but do the 20 presses, just to make sure. You won't be able to see any difference, but now even the TP will know for sure that it's turned off.

Step 2: Plug the TP's USB cable into the micro USB connector on the bottom of the TP, and connect the other end of the cable into a USB port on the back of your desktop PC. The reason I say plug it into the back of the PC is that some PCs don't provide the same voltage to extra USB ports on their front panel. The same could be true of a laptop.

Step 3: Make sure that your computer's speakers are turned up enough for you to hear whatever chime your system sounds whenever you connect a USB device.

Step 4: I'm not sure about this key combination, but it's one of the two and you'll know you've succeeded when you hear your PC chime: Press and hold both the Power Button and the Volume Up Button for 60 seconds (or until you hear the chime). If you haven't heard the chime after 60 seconds, repeat Step 1 and then try holding a three-button combination of the Power/Volume Up/Home-Center buttons for 60 seconds (or until you hear the chime). Your PC may discover a new device and try to install drivers; if so, do what you can to install them, and don't panic if you can't.

Step 5: If you heard the PC chime at any point in Step 4, you might be able to confirm that your PC has knowledge of a Palm Device on a USB Port by going into Device Manager on your PC (right click on My Computer and select Properties, then Device Manager). You should see the Palm device listed under LPT or Serial Ports, or maybe under USB. If you don't, proceed to Step 5a:

Step 5a: If you have not been successful in hearing the PC's USB-connected chime and you can't find a Palm device listed anywhere in Device Manager, repeat Step 1 to make sure the TP is turned off. Then repeat Step 4, but use the Volume Down Button in the place of the Volume Up Button. The combo of Power/Volume Up or Power/Volume Up/Center-Home buttons should get the TP recognized as a Palm Device, while the combo of Power/Volume Up or Power/Volume Up/Center-Home buttons should get the TP recognized as qhsusb_dload. I'm pretty sure this mode is for a low-level boot-loader (that you hopefully won't need). The qhsusb_dload mode will try to install drivers (which can be found on the Web).

Step 6: No matter what level of success you achieved in Steps 4 and 5, allow the TP to sit and hopefully charge a bit from your PC for a while. If you check back after 30+ minutes and the TP's back feels slightly warm, you're in a good place.

Step 7: Plug your TP into the wall charger and leave it. If it hasn't come back to life within an hour, check to see if it is warm. If it's stone cold, I'm sorry. You might have better success at the above procedure a second time through.
    TopTongueBarry likes this.
    Some additional notes for the previous post:

This will not revive one of the dozens (or hundreds) of water-damaged TouchPads that have flooded eBay. Some eBay seller was selling off stacks of 5 or 7 flood damaged TPs. I'm sure many of those were turned around by shady buyers who then listed them as "AS-IS, untested," or "AS-IS, I don't know why it doesn't work," etc. If your TouchPad died a watery death, it almost certainly has unrepairable damage to one or more of the circuit boards inside.

I did consider the possibility that the real trick in the above procedure was just to make sure the TP's completely off (as in Step 1, above), and then it is plugged into a rear USB port on a desktop PC. Maybe the TP could make use of the +5vdc on the USB line without being recognized as a Palm Device or the low-level boot-loader. I assumed that it needed one of the two because it had sat on the USB connection for a long time without either low-level mode and it did not get warm. When I did the dance with the 2- or 3-button combos to get to one of those low-level modes, the TP did start to get warm, indicating (to me) a charging battery.
    dno likes this.
    My Touchpad has been replaced under warranty, it has new S/N and mac address, it is webOS 3.02, it failed to restore, so i skipped it after many failed attempts, it really is slow compared to webOS 3.05 , have loaded preware. but wont install any preware until webOS 3.05 is installed, just ran System Updates to kick start the update.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Do Not Touch, Your steps got me a little bit further, but still no charging. Power/Volume Up/Center-Home button combination gets the TP recognized as a palm device. Power/Volume Down/Center-Home button gets it recognized as qhsusb_dload. I have tried alternating back and forth, but the back never gets warm. I took it off the PC anyway after being on overnight, and plugged it into the wall charger, but still no luck. Even though I bought it off Ebay, it did work perfectly for a couple of months. Guess I have to send it back to HP.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast