Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    I did. Happened to several of us last week (threads are in this forum). I actually had a box sent, tried again to plug in after leaving it on a TS overnight (it was NOT on a TS when it died but just wasn't used for a week). However, I plugged it into a charger again after trying every combination of buttons known to man, and I noticed the blinking lights on the home button. Left it alone and after an hour or so, the battery icon appeared. For some reason batteries are not charging easily and are dying fairly quickly, and it appears the TS might not have enough juice to initially get it started. I do have a box now and don't need it, but I figure there's a good chance I will at some point.
    At some point should I see blinking lights on the home button? I do not recall having seen those before but I have not let the battery get to a point of death before and have not shut the TP off completely to date.
    I have left it plugged into AC adapter for the last hour or so and still nothing.
    How long after AC attached should it take for lights? I read in another thread something about loose USB connection; wiggling had no affect and resulted in no lights.
    I read in another thread about holding the Power-Home button combo for at least a minute after initial plug in when battery is fully drained; presumeably this will reset the battery charging (at least this was inferred from the wording of the response). I also tried that without result.
    Should the AC adapter begin to get hot when successfully attached and charging the battery? At what point should the home button show lights?
    Thanks.
    A key combo I learned from palm support was press and hold power button then press the centre button 10 times in a row while still holding power.

It took two goes of the above for me, first time I pressed them quite slowly, second time pressed them quite fast and it worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by jewjenk View Post
    At least you don't have to take it INTO an apple store. That was the only way I could get my Iphone fixed ASAP.

Looks like there may be a problem with the touchstone devices........Guess thats a forwarning.
    Unless you live far far away from an Apple store, what's wrong with that? I had to go to the store for my Iphone 4's home button and they gave me a new one no questions asked (of course I was still under the warranty). That's an excellent customer service if you ask me.
    Tried the 10x home button (quickly even) to no avail.
    I am FINALLY getting blinking lights on my home button... apparently the TP battery was VERY dead. Took 2+ hours of charging to get to this point. Again, my associate's Pre2 has this issue of needing some uninterupted charging time before getting to a point of any signs of life.
    Also, determined that my TS was actually not plugged in all night even though I thought it was; this was the cause of the initial battery drain.
    And, now, in the time it has taken me to type and check post I am getting the charging icon on the screen.... aparently not dead, just comatose.
    Quote Originally Posted by jason.brown@aa.com View Post
    came home to a dead Touchpad. Had left it in the Touchstone dock over night, so thought maybe it had been knocked loose during the day and drained as a result. Plugged it into the power adapter (micro USB) that came with it direct to the wall and it's still not coming on.

any ideas? Haven't ever hacked it, overclocked it etc.. i
    I had the exact same ISSUE last night no solution yet.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ls-assist.html
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrktt View Post
    Tried the 10x home button (quickly even) to no avail.
    I am FINALLY getting blinking lights on my home button... apparently the TP battery was VERY dead. Took 2+ hours of charging to get to this point. Again, my associate's Pre2 has this issue of needing some uninterupted charging time before getting to a point of any signs of life.
    Also, determined that my TS was actually not plugged in all night even though I thought it was; this was the cause of the initial battery drain.
    And, now, in the time it has taken me to type and check post I am getting the charging icon on the screen.... aparently not dead, just comatose.
    You described exactly what transpired when mine "healed" itself. I had it on a Touchstone overnight; did nothing. Had it plugged into a charging cable for a few hours, nothing. Then, after arranging to have a box sent, I had left it plugged in and noticed the blinking lights. It took quite a while to charge. I checked the battery just after it cleared the battery icon and it was at 3%, after being on the stone all night and several hours of being plugged in. Confusing, but it is back to normal now.
    Quote Originally Posted by noxis View Post
    A key combo I learned from palm support was press and hold power button then press the centre button 10 times in a row while still holding power.

It took two goes of the above for me, first time I pressed them quite slowly, second time pressed them quite fast and it worked.
    you just saved my all-of-a-sudden dead TP. Thanks!
    Ok, for review:
    Battery fully drained. This is not a death sentence but it IS a comatose state until the battery is recharged.
    I DID NOTHING except plug the TP into the wall and it recovered.
    I did test the AC adapter by plugging another USB charged item in and seeing the lights go on... not much of a test but effective.
    So, action to take when TP fully drains battery: plug into wall, allow to charge, observe little lights on home-button start blinking, keep waiting, observe charging icon appear on TP screen, keep waiting, icon goes away, turn on TP, enjoy...

As a test I did the same thing with my second TP; allowed it to drain fully overnight, observed that it responded to nothing after plugging it in, then allowed it to charge as was observed with the first TP and it came back to life.

I have not tested fully draining the TP battery and leaving it sit on the TouchStone for some time to see if it recovers in the same manner. I also did not track the actual recovery time for the battery but I would say about 90 minutes until blinking lights, another 30 for charging icon.

Good luck...
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noxis View Post

WOW! My wife's TP was dead this morning, and I thought I had tried everything. Put it on a different charger, tried the hold power/home for 30-60 seconds etc. Left it plugged into a different charger (2nd TP charger) all day, but still nothing. Only after your trick did I notice sign of life when I plugged it back in, the home button light started moving back and forth. Still didn't turn on, but it was something. Then, after about an hour or so of charging the home button notification started blinking, and it turned on and was fine!

I was ready to send this in for warranty.... Thank you for saving me THAT headache!
    I hand same bricked TP. While I was waiting for the return box I happened to leave the USB cable from my PC plugged into my TP. An hour so and my TP showed the USB symbol the screen. Plugged into charger and in a few minutes the TP booted.
    Worth a shot before you ship it.
    Same issue here. Worth a try
    Sent to HP Hong Kong last Saturday and HP has just replied that they are failed to repair my touchpad and cannot find any reason for the failure.

HP is too rubbish on warranty! As a palm user, it is ridiculous that a palm does not have global warranty.

I asked HP US via online chat support yesterday and the technician said all touchpads worldwide are the same but HP Hong Kong rejected the repair as US unit is difference from HK unit!

I am going to join a palm club tea gathering and see if any expertise can help. The worst solution is to send my touchpad to my US friend and seek for US warranty.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Just a guess here at the problem some people have had:

The TouchPad will not recognize the Touchstone or charge from it when the battery has been allowed to die completely. That will certainly happen within a week of non-use, even if the TouchPad is completely turned off. In that case you have to plug it in to the USB charger and wait for a while to build up a minimal charge. After a while you see the home button lights blinking, indicating that it is charging, but doesn't yet have enough power to turn on. A while longer, and the TouchPad will wake up.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    Just a guess here at the problem some people have had:

The TouchPad will not recognize the Touchstone or charge from it when the battery has been allowed to die completely. That will certainly happen within a week of non-use, even if the TouchPad is completely turned off. In that case you have to plug it in to the USB charger and wait for a while to build up a minimal charge. After a while you see the home button lights blinking, indicating that it is charging, but doesn't yet have enough power to turn on. A while longer, and the TouchPad will wake up.
    Totally agree, the solution to a dead TP, is to do as Semma 2 suggested.

Another possible solution, which seems to speed up the fix, is to switch the mains charger off and on at the mains every 15 -20 mins for a number of times. It seems as if the TP goes into a deep hibernation. It also seems as if the TP doesn't recognise the charge current from the stand or the USB cable because it is protecting the TP from damage.

Switching the mains power on and off intermittently seems to perhaps send an initial charge that it accepts before closing the TP charging circuit off again. So by switching on and off a number of time it eventually lets enough power past the protection circuit to eventually enable the charging circuit again on a normal charging basis.

The TP will eventually only light up the notification LED, then the big battery charge icon will appear a little while later and then eventually the screen will come back on. HP wanted me to return mine when it happened to me and I fed this info back to them as they were not aware ths is a possible fix.

Do not send your TP back until you have tried this as it does work.

G
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    That will certainly happen within a week of non-use, even if the TouchPad is completely turned off.
    I would say this is not true, and I have real world experience in this. A fully charged TouchPad not being used, on in "standby" mode should last you a week or more. My 3rd "dev" TouchPad sits unused for the most part other than OS updates. I throw it on the TS maybe once a week, probably less often than that. Lowest I've seen it is around 50%.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    i love you guys my tp is back alive <3
    OK. Same problem here - totally dead in the AM after being left on the TouchStone overnight, even though it was basically fully charged when I dropped it on there the evening before - looks like somehow that display mode kicked on and didn't shut off even though the TouchStone wasn't charging and drained the battery all the way to zero somehow.

No sign of life - totally bricked. Won't charge with USB cord and TP charger or TouchStone even after hours of waiting. Won't even be recognized as a USB device on my computer. I confirmed that the USB cable would charge a phone with no problem so that wasn't it. The device was definitely getting power.

I even tried plugging it in with the USB, then putting it on its side on the TouchStone also powered. Don't know whether that helped or not but I doubt my "double charge at once" did anything.

Thought I was totally out of luck, then read this.

I am not sure whether it is the home button 10 times thing or the plugging it in over and over thing, but I am finally getting the two flashing lights on the home button so I appear to be on my way back from the dead.

For what it is worth, in order to get the two lights flashing I plugged it into a standard USB phone charger 1000mAmps, not the higher power TouchPad charger.

I am wondering whether it needs power fed to it at the lower amperage when it has massively discharged for some reason. That the regular Touchpad wall charger is too hot somehow. So if you are experiencing this, add to the list of potential fixes - plug it into your computer or a regular, lower powered USB charger after you do the 10 home button and multiple plugging in thing and see if that helps.

I am thinking I will disable that screensaver display thing for the TouchStone if I can. After this miserable experience and reading the forums and seeing others have the same problem, I am sure that there is somehow a way you can trick the TP into staying lit because it is on the TouchStone even though it isn't getting TouchStone power. That is the only way mine could have gone from almost full to totally dead in under 8 hours. The screen had to be on the whole night with no power connection to cause that.

So hang in there, it looks like there is a way back from this 100% discharge disaster. Just be patient.
    I think hitting the home key 10 times just keeps the human entertained, and waiting would have the same affect. I agree the low wattage charge works on fully discharged TP. I have no proof but I think this works because of USB standards for power on USB.
    The regular TP wall charger working alone definitely does NOT bring it back to life in this situation. I had it on that for 14 hours straight with no effect at all, before trying all these crazy different things. For some reason it won't take that higher power from the TP wall charger when it is totally flat. But when I pulled the same USB cord out of the TP charger and plugged it into a standard USB phone charger, good things started happened in less than an hour. Eventually I got the flat battery warning screen, and could move back to the high power TP wall charger and it is now happily charging back to life.

If this ever happens to me again, I will go right to the lower power, standard USB phone charger and leave it on that for a few hours first and see what happens. I strongly suspect that this is all you have to do when this happens in most cases, but I am not about to try to recreate the problem to find out.

The next unpleasant question is what has this done to the life of the battery and/or its capacity. We'll just have to wait and see on that one.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast