Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    i think it's great that we get 50gb free with box.net. i was quite excited when i heard the news.

but now, a few months later, i've found that i haven't used it at all. now and then i think "i should use that box.net storage for something", but then i think "for what?".

so i ask: what do you use it for? i suspect this is one of those things where i have to see how it can fit into my lifestyle and i'll find a place where it's useful. right now i can't think of a really useful use for it.
    50? I think I only have 5GB with them. Maybe I need to make another account?
    Sprint Pre Plus 1.4.5
    Dev Verizon Pre 2.1.0
    Weather App in the works...
    mjkjr: you only get 50gb if you have a toucpad.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    All TP owners get free 50 gig box.net account. So, yes you probably want to download the box.net app and create a new account.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    I use it to easily get (small) files from my computer to my touchpad.

As for storage -- mostly just various touchpad applications for now.
    Oooh, well that's my problem. I need to find a TouchPad to buy. I only have a box.net account and app for my phone.
    Sprint Pre Plus 1.4.5
    Dev Verizon Pre 2.1.0
    Weather App in the works...
    Not that much, thanks to the lack of a quality desktop client for free.

Dropbox is more effective from desktop.
    mc_wardy likes this.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I can't find a way to download more than one song or picture at a time from content I've stored with them online. Is this right? I'm afraid free box.net will be useless to me if this is so.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by txba539 View Post
    Not that much, thanks to the lack of a quality desktop client for free.

Dropbox is more effective from desktop.
    Yep - Box.net makes a bit more sense when you are working with others - as a single seat user, dropbox has it licked.
    You can access box.net like a regular share because it is just running WebDAV.

In Linux and Mac OS, it is just a matter of connecting to another server and typing in:

https://box.net/dav

and enter in your credentials. No need for a custom app. It shows up on the desktop like any mounted network share.

However, I do like the
    background synchronization of drop-box.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    My wife and I share the free Box.net account. She's a teacher and she uses it to save files from her classroom PC and work on them at home. She's actually using the Touchpad as her go-to device now for everything except Lesson Plans in Excel, since it's much easier to use Microsoft Excel rather than QuickOffice Excel.

I use it to back-up important docs on from my home PC, but I agree than Dropbox is much better because of the background sync capabilities.
    sorli likes this.
    I have a desktop drop. You have to look for it in Box.net in Apps to download for the desktop. There are a lot of applications for businesses and such that work well with box.net. I am running a boot camp so I keep all of my client forms for easy access, education material, Powerpoint presentations, Pictures, videos. I at first didn't know why I would need to use one, because I have a computer, remote access and my touchpad and phone. Now I realize I can save storage on my devices and it's awesome.
    Vote for QuickOffice for Palm Pre!
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219
    robinreliant likes this.
    It makes for a nice icon in my launcher, but that's about as far as I've taken it
    I'm regularly at 3 locations that are not networked, and I've started uploading all my docs there, that way I can get them anywhere. This has really been great when I'm no the road and can download them onto my phone or the touchpad. The bummer, like stated above is you cannot download more than one file at a time with the free account, which has sucked for some of the way I wanted to use it. Can't complain to much as it's free though. at least they let you upload multiple files though
    Has anyone figured out how to play movies/video files stored on dropbox or box.net? On TP, i cant do that.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    This is good to know, thanks. Dropbox is built in to TouchPad accounts, correct? So there is no app, you just set up your Dropbox account on the TP?
    karmalg likes this.
    I'm in the process of transferring copies of family digital photos to it. I have local backups at home, but a theft or fire could take them and my wife would be devastated if she lost her pictures (she's somewhat of a shutter bug).

I'll have to figure out that Mac mounting as our most recent pics are on a Mac mini (older ones are on a PC).
    Quote Originally Posted by ksht View Post
    Has anyone figured out how to play movies/video files stored on dropbox or box.net? On TP, i cant do that.
    Not possible.

There is a dropbox mp3 player that can be used in conjunction with DropBox.

Here's the link.http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...isualizer.html
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmturbo View Post
    This is good to know, thanks. Dropbox is built in to TouchPad accounts, correct? So there is no app, you just set up your Dropbox account on the TP?
    You might be able to set it up from scratch from your TouchPad, but I would suggest doing it from your PC first. You have to do a little tutorial/hoop jumping that will increase your storage space.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksht View Post
    I'm using box.net more like a library for my movies. Just have to download them to the TouchPad so you can watch them. I'd love the option to stream, but I can also see times when you're travelling that downloading a movie is preferable.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast