Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Thansk I'll check it out.
    I've been using it for school documents and stuff. It's been quite handy in that regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    I'm using box.net more like a library for my movies. Just have to download them to the TouchPad so you can watch them. I'd love the option to stream, but I can also see times when you're travelling that downloading a movie is preferable.
    yep, pretty much thats how I'm using. but first time, ignorantly i just put my important video file i wanted to refer to during the day on dropbox. But to my disappointment, i couldnt play it when i needed it. I learnt my lesson.

kalemsoft did mention as a reply to my request that it is in their "to-do" list to support playing 9streaming) from dropbox/box.net. I would love for that to come to fruition. I was just wondering if there are any other alternative solutions in the meantime. But guess none at the moment.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Dropbox offers users with free accounts starting out at 2GB of free online storage space. You start out with 2GB free but there are several ways to bump that. Referring others who sign up gives you an additional 250MB per enrolee so you can use my referral link to get your 2.25GB initially--->>> https://www.dropbox.com/

Here are six ways to bump your free available storage capacity-

1. https://www.dropbox.com/ Do your initial sign-up with a referral from someone else – this will give you an extra 250 MB right off the bat.

2. https://www.dropbox.com/dropquest2011 – Complete DropQuest 2011 – here are some details. This is only available for another week or so, but completing it will net you a whopping 1 GB of extra storage (you earn it incrementally as you complete the steps of the quest).

3. https://www.dropbox.com/gs – Complete the “Getting Started” – log in to your dropbox account on the website and click on the “Getting Started” tab. Complete all of the tasks listed there to earn 250 MB.

4. https://www.dropbox.com/free – Complete the social media linking to Twitter and Facebook to get 640 MB.

5. https://www.dropbox.com/referrals – Refer others. For every friend that signs up for dropbox using your referral, you both get an extra 250 MB. This is the big daddy of free space boosters because you can get up to 8 GB extra space from referrals.

6. https://www.dropbox.com/edu – Be a student. If you have an EDU email account, you get double the referral bonus (500 MB per referral, up to a max of 16 GB extra space). The edu bonus is also retroactive to any referral bonuses you’ve already earned.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/18/2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: referral link removed - not allowed
  5. vrs
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I find Dropboxify a pretty successful way to play my Dropbox video files. I open Dropboxify which takes me to my Dropbox, at which point I can select a video file, and then choose to "open" or "save" it. If I click "open", the file proceeds to download to my Touchpad's cache -- pretty quickly -- and once there it plays smoothly. When it's finished playing, since I didn't click "save", it disappears.
    Actually, you *can* stream from the box.net WEBSITE if you convert your videos to FLV before uploading - I simply use XmediaRecode to re-encode my mp4s to FLV and then stream away You can also stream music but I haven't really done that much so I'm not sure how user friendly it is (i.e. do you have to select each file you want to play)...
  7. vrs
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Amazon offers 5GB Cloud Drive free to anyone who has an Amazon account. And the best part is that it actually does stream video files to the TouchPad. And I think the charges for more storage are about half the price of Dropbox.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    thanks for all your responses!

lack of free desktop client is an issue, for sure.

i don't often need to share documents between machines, but i'll keep it in mind for when i do.

i don't really watch many movies, and will probably just wire them directly from the PC when i need to.

good to know about dropbox and amazon as good alternatives, but without a slick TP app like box.net i don't know how good the user experience would be if you have to do it in the TP browser?
    Quote Originally Posted by riot View Post
    I use it to easily get (small) files from my computer to my touchpad.

As for storage -- mostly just various touchpad applications for now.
    Same here, I use it for files and I like it very much
    I like the box.net integration with Gemini file manager. I've not uploaded any videos onto box.net so cant offer any insight there. The lack of syncing is an issue for me.
    Personally I use UbuntuOne as it syncs right into my OS, so am hoping that a webos app will be available at some point...
    sorli likes this.
    Nothing, by the time I got around to making my Box account, Box had changed the upload file size limit from 1gb to 100mb, so it is useless for what I wanted it for.
    Bockscar likes this.
    I use it to share screenshots, videos, and files through Box SimpleShare. I used to use Jing, but I love the ability to drag-and-drop files and grab a link which I can email to others. It's great for some of the ways I collaborate with others in the office, or whenever I have to give details in a support case.
    Box.net is useless to me. It uploads excrutiatingly slow and then eventually just stops. I haven't even managed to get my music uploaded to it. I wish it wasn't so worthless, and I wish there was a client for Microsoft's live.com. The 50 GB they give you there is useful but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a good way to get to it from the TP.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualjock View Post
    You can access box.net like a regular share because it is just running WebDAV. ...
    i found this too flaky to be useful. if i want to copy one or two small files, sure, but the thing kept disconnecting if i tried to do anything time-consuming. a frustrating waste of time, in my experience.
    I've started to use mine for all the documents relating to my uni honours project. I usually use google docs, but I want to keep things separate this year and this seems like a good idea. I've been taking all my notes on my touchpad anyway.
    || Flickr || Twitter ||
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Can we drag and drop folders and sub-folders into our box.net account?
    last week, I tried to upload all my university coursework but left it after the 1st transfer as it was way too cumbersome.
    basically, I have a university folder and within the folder, I have 20 folders corresponding to each course I took in College.
    Of course, within each folder I have multiple folders for papers, finals, assignments, etc..etc...
    In total, the top folder is about 1.8GB

Last time I tried, I had to painstakingly create every single folder and sub folder and then drag and drop files!

Please tell me I have another option to do this much quicker....

Thanks!
    I have a few albums and some small files on my box acct. I use it as a share using webdav and its drag and drop just as if it were a folder on my desktop. Slow uploads but downloads are fast and you can download multiple files using gemini. Love how I have 50 gb free for life. Im going to use it to backup pics of my family as they are all in RAW format so I can use the cloud space
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gordita View Post
    Can we drag and drop folders and sub-folders into our box.net account?
    last week, I tried to upload all my university coursework but left it after the 1st transfer as it was way too cumbersome.
    basically, I have a university folder and within the folder, I have 20 folders corresponding to each course I took in College.
    Of course, within each folder I have multiple folders for papers, finals, assignments, etc..etc...
    In total, the top folder is about 1.8GB

Last time I tried, I had to painstakingly create every single folder and sub folder and then drag and drop files!

Please tell me I have another option to do this much quicker....

Thanks!
    Dropbox seems a better option for you.
    I wanted to use it to store my movies on but the file upload size limit keeps me from it. The only other thing I could use it for would be to store pictures on and I already use picasa so I deactivated my account. Just another piece of crapware to me.
    wow this is a great app. But why is it not available for HP Pre 3? Would be good to exchange files there too.
    Click here to see my Palm Pre photos

Fave Apps: Agenda, Facebook, Molo Photo Filters Pro, Spaz, AuctionMate Pro, Flickr Mundo, Brightness Unlinked, AccuWeather, NomNomNom, KalemSoft Media Player, Paketverfolgung, Puzzle Master

Palm Pre -> HP Pre 3 + TouchPad <3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast