Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    HP selling touch pads internally...Leaked email for HP employees - Slickdeals.net

Not good news, as they have hundreds of thousands of employees.
    at this point, HP ought to look at the market prices they are going for on a secondary basis, and price them closer to that rate - otherwise, it makes so much sense for HP employees to buy at that rate, and profit $150 by selling on ebay, or giving as a gift.

If you don't have one, your best chance would now be ebay...
    Don't believe everything you read, especially on slickdeals
    Interesting move. It keeps demand up for webOS in the consumer space by making the product availabilty sparse. I hope that suggests that they are still talking to those consumer phone and tablet makers about licensing webOS, presumably those other manufacturers can make devices at the right specs and price them at the right level

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-webo...ml#post3156303
    This sux for those people who still want one.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    That's true. So does this mean there wouldn't be any or much for regular consumers?
    grrrr. wish my wife still worked for them
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    Well so much for the final batch in Oct. None will be left for the public unless a big ticket retailer negotiates a batch with HP.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmytvc15 View Post
    Don't believe everything you read, especially on slickdeals
    There were people who didn't believe the Best Buy inventory stories a week before the fire sales. Sometimes, outlandish stories about the Touchpad just turn out to be true. And in most cases, it has been unfortunate stories. This internal email story is probably one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett View Post
    at this point, HP ought to look at the market prices they are going for on a secondary basis, and price them closer to that rate - otherwise, it makes so much sense for HP employees to buy at that rate, and profit $150 by selling on ebay, or giving as a gift.

If you don't have one, your best chance would now be ebay...
    They should have don't a better planned out stratagy with all this. The TouchPad Go that was supposedly the 7" tablet should have been released close to the TouchPad time at prices that would competewith or beat the Nook Color and Amazon's expected tablet. They should have also had the Pre 3 ready to go at the same time. Pricing teirs are really what they need to produce to be able to drive webOS adoption better. And of course they needed to beat the price of the iPad. They could have done it by only $50 to start if they really wanted to try to keep the prices higher. Then $50 per 16GB increase in memory, $50 between 16 and 32 and $100 difference between 32 and 64.

They half-baked their marketing strategy and this is the results.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Interesting that 9/28 is the beginning of the order process for HP employees. I wonder if that means that is when HP expects to have all of the units being built finished/shipped, or if that's when they intend to have completed shipping the remaining orders for HP SMB. Of course, they could just be over-selling again.
    if you read it its for USA employees only working at HP, not HP as a whole. And they should get a chance at the product since they work for the company...

I don't see an issue with this, if true
    "I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Edison
    ac921ol likes this.
    also the details of the email is "limited supplies", I think they only put aside some for USA HP employees but are still working on the SMB orders and some for Oct general sale

not every USA HP employee will get one out of that pool thats for sure.
    "I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Edison
    Something left out of that link the employe will have to log on with their HP email and will be limited to 1 only if it is found that the same person order more then one their order will be canceled.
    6000 have been made available for UK employees on a first come first served

Following on from the previous announcement regarding HP’s transformation in the webOS organisation and the resulting employee offer, we had a phenomenal number of enquiries and sales, which meant we sold out in a day, leaving a lot of dissatisfied potential buyers.

We are delighted to announce that we have secured 6000 units of the last remaining webOS hardware and supporting accessories and the decision has been made locally to prioritise these for our employees.
    As supply is less than the total UK employee workforce, we cannot provide a unit for every employee if they tried to buy one. Therefore in order to facilitate the huge demand for these products in a fair and concise manner, the method to purchase these will be by registration of intent only.
    The first 6000 employees to register will be given the opportunity to purchase an HP Touchpad.* Units will be allocated on a first come first served basis. No exceptional request outside this process will be considered.
    Please do not contact the HP Store sales or EPP team directly as they cannot facilitate any Touchpad orders, hold stock or register on your behalf
    Touchpad Hardware – Registration Only
    32GB Touchpad = Was £479 – Now £109 (approx 5700 units)
    16GB Touchpad = Was £399*– Now £69 * (approx 300 units)
    To be in with a chance of purchasing a Touchpad you must register your interest.
    The following Terms & Conditions apply:
    -****** 1 Touchpad per employee
    -****** Touchpad units will be allocated on a first come first serve registration basis
    -****** Employees who have already purchased a Touchpad via EPP are not eligible for this promotion. (Registrations will be audited)

Successful applicants will be notified by email within 1 week of registration, with full details on how to purchase a Touchpad. If you do not receive a notification you have not been successful.

Registration will open on Monday 12th September at 9.30am to Friday 16th September at 5pm. Registrations will not be accepted outside this period.
    I expect the registration to be over subscribed
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robotech1985 View Post
    if you read it its for USA employees only working at HP, not HP as a whole. And they should get a chance at the product since they work for the company...

I don't see an issue with this, if true
    100% agree with this ^
    Yes I Did likes this.
    damn... i wanted one for 100 bucks. The thing that sucks the most is that, I don't want one at $250-300 bucks. At that price, I might as well purchase an iPad, or something with actual support!
    garnetlove and chalx like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by robotech1985 View Post
    also the details of the email is "limited supplies", I think they only put aside some for USA HP employees but are still working on the SMB orders and some for Oct general sale

not every USA HP employee will get one out of that pool thats for sure.

Take a look at this YouTube video.... this was shot outside of HP headquarters
    in Sunnyvale, CA.... count the huge number of HP employees standing in line
    waiting for Touchpads. (no, this is not in India, but it sure looks like it )

Well... I like that! :-D If many HP employees have a Touchpad the chance of patches rises... ^^ Who else could motivate HP better to spend development time on webOS than the own employees? ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by antragon View Post
    Well... I like that! :-D If many HP employees have a Touchpad the chance of patches rises... ^^ Who else could motivate HP better to spend development time on webOS than the own employees? ^^
    perhaps these Touchpads will serve as souvenirs for those HP employees?
    (some are no doubt going to be laid off in the new and improved HP)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast