Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
  1.    #1  
    I just opened up the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 oI got for my dad for his birthday so I can load some apps on it for him. I know it is very hard to compare it to my touchpad since it is a completely different OS but on physical design alone the TP is so much thicker and heavier... is there a specific reason why the TP is so big?
    Different materials (plastics vs. metals)
    2010 design vs. 2011 design
    Easier to grip - more of a bi-product of the above
    Samsung designed their tablet to be smaller/thinner than the iPad, and HP did not.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    how much did you pay for your touchpad?
    laoh and Touchpaddle like this.
    "That's what she said."
    The touchpad has inductive charging built in. Even though it doesn't add much to the TP its still is there. Other than that the original Tab was a lot bigger than the 10.1 but Sammy changed the design up and released the 10.1.

Be nice if it was a little thinner though.
    Biggest thing - built in induction coils for wireless charging.

Take those out, it weighs less. But you lose a great feature.

(And no, you can't take them out yourself!)
    Hey, Stevesrjr86! You beat me by just a couple of seconds!
    Quote Originally Posted by lideadhead View Post
    how much did you pay for your touchpad?
    So are you saying they made it thicker & heaver so they could reduce the price?
    Touchstone is the culprit. In my opinion I would sacrifice it for a thinner design
    zappcatt likes this.
    Sacrifice my touchstone?? you can prise it from my cold dead hands but not before!

Other things that make the TP thicker include the excellent Dr Dre speakers.
    OldSkoolVWLover, Dis and NorbB like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    Sacrifice my touchstone?? you can prise it from my cold dead hands but not before!

Other things that make the TP thicker include the excellent Dr Dre speakers.
    their normal speakers, nuffin to do with beats, but their still pretty good quality regardless.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    That and word is that HP retrodesigned it bc they had part supply stock for what would have originally been a slate device. Some people have mentioned Rubenstein was pushing against this and it fell on deaf ears....

Grand scheme of things its a bit over the top to say its a lug after all its almost the same as the iPad 1's specs. Ya, that's not the current competition model but see the above.
    I had the exact opposite experience. I was helping my mom setup some stuff on her new MacBook pro, which is a 13 inch model she got in this spring, and now THAT felt like a rock.

its all just relative to something else. I'll buy it if its becoming a chore to hold... :-)
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    I didn't realize that the induction coils had so much to do with the added weight. I don't really have complaints about the weight, but if I had the choice I would probably forgo that feature to save on weight. Its just as easy to plug it in with wall charger IMHO.

@geekpeter -- Whats with all the "beats by dre" advertising on it then? And the "Beats Audio(tm)" option in your sound settings?
    Quote Originally Posted by riot View Post
    I didn't realize that the induction coils had so much to do with the added weight. I don't really have complaints about the weight, but if I had the choice I would probably forgo that feature to save on weight. Its just as easy to plug it in with wall charger IMHO.

@geekpeter -- Whats with all the "beats by dre" advertising on it then? And the "Beats Audio(tm)" option in your sound settings?
    Really? Wow!
    Because it's not an ipad 2. If there was going to be TP2, I'm sure it woulda been thinner and lighter also.
    I'm waiting for paper-thin with built-in solar cells so that it never needs batteries, and it types by reading my mind!
    shanpalm61, moneil7, i3 and 1 others like this.
    NO comments about it being a blank slate! (i.e. - "reading my mind"!)
    Steep and shanpalm61 like this.
    Apparently HP engineers are not as smart as Samsung's. It's also laughable for HP to originally charge the same price as the Tab 10.1. They must have thought that consumers are stupid like them.
    mainly because it was way way late coming out and should came out during the time ipad1 was out... then the differences would not have been so vast.

if people think that, if hp had continued with tp, next gen tps would have still stayed as heavy and thick and blame it on the induction coils and such... you're fooling yourselves.

when you see what other companies can do like samsung with their 10.1 and be able to make the adjustment then there is no reason hp cant up the ante and do the same. lead, follow or get out of the way... hp should be in that group that leads... but they haven't... they've been tripping over their own two feet.

Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    Because it's not an ipad 2. If there was going to be TP2, I'm sure it woulda been thinner and lighter also.
    uberjuan likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryO View Post
    I just opened up the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 oI got for my dad for his birthday so I can load some apps on it for him. I know it is very hard to compare it to my touchpad since it is a completely different OS but on physical design alone the TP is so much thicker and heavier... is there a specific reason why the TP is so big?
    This has been discussed to death. You're about 3 months late.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast