Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    Ive had the tp for a cpl of weeks now -- 32gb $149 -- and now that its oc and patched i like it a lot. And i also have the ipad. But my big annoyance is how fast the battery runs down and i use EVERY power saving method: low brightness, airplane mode etc and still seems to run down liks a gas guage on a hummer. Even overnight in sleep and airplane mode it loses battery. So i find i keep charging it during the day. My ipad battery is not even close. I am overclocked at just 1.5. I really do think hp put in crummy batteries when they rushed the tp to market. I only use it in the evening going back and forth between my ipad. During the day i work on my desktop.
    I can leave my touchpad off the charger for multiple days with out needing to charge and still have over 75% battery. I have watched full 2+ hour movies an only lost about 10-15% of the battery. I would say that is no a crummy battery. mine is all stock with only low brightness. maybe some of the patches or the OC is having some negative impacts on your battery life.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Remove the Overclocking kernel ( I guess Uberkernel). This should dramatically increase your battery life.

I had exactly the same issue and solved this.

BTW: The OC is pure placedo effect, which will give you no advantages.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
    I can leave my touchpad off the charger for multiple days with out needing to charge and still have over 75% battery. I have watched full 2+ hour movies an only lost about 10-15% of the battery. I would say that is no a crummy battery. mine is all stock with only low brightness. maybe some of the patches or the OC is having some negative impacts on your battery life.
    It was the same BEFORE i overclocked and patched. Maybe you have a goid battery and i have a bad one.
    Quote Originally Posted by demichve View Post
    Remove the Overclocking kernel ( I guess Uberkernel). This should dramatically increase your battery life.

That may be your personal opinion, but there are many people here, myself included, who have had actually real-life experience with multiple devices with and without the over-clocking kernel. I have done side-by-side comparisons for multiple Pres and TouchPads and I can tell you that it is most definitely NOT a placebo effect.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
  6.    #6  

I cant agree with you about the placebo effect. It def runs MUCH faster at 1.5 and patched. IF that is causing the battery loss i'll deal with it as oppsed to going back to the 1.2 unpatched slowpoke.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    I have my touchpad fully patched and I'm running uberkernel and my battery life is still 8-9 hours minimum for heavy use. I would consider trying to doctor your touchpad and starting from scratch. If not then you must have a faulty battery which would be very unfortunate. I am not in anyway exaggerating the battery life either.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I don't think it's normal. I've installed a few patches but have not overclocked it and I usually plug in every two days. I use the browser and Tea Reader mainly.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sikfrk View Post
    I have my touchpad fully patched and I'm running uberkernel and my battery life is still 8-9 hours minimum for heavy use. I would consider trying to doctor your touchpad and starting from scratch. If not then you must have a faulty battery which would be very unfortunate. I am not in anyway exaggerating the battery life either.
    Define how you use it. Its realky hard to belueve that after heavy use you still have that many hours. Those hours are what HP claimed it would get when used nonstop and that was hype. Ive had the ipad1 and ipad2 and apple wildly claims 8 or 9 hours and its nowhere that but its far better than the tp
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    Ive had the tp for a cpl of weeks now -- 32gb $149 -- and now that its oc and patched i like it a lot. And i also have the ipad. But my big annoyance is how fast the battery runs down and i use EVERY power saving method: low brightness, airplane mode etc and still seems to run down liks a gas guage on a hummer. Even overnight in sleep and airplane mode it loses battery. So i find i keep charging it during the day. My ipad battery is not even close. I am overclocked at just 1.5. I really do think hp put in crummy batteries when they rushed the tp to market. I only use it in the evening going back and forth between my ipad. During the day i work on my desktop.
    What kind of battery drain are you seeing? Can you provide some numbers to compare? Depending on what you have going on in the background, you will see battery drain. Whether or not is within the norm or excessive we won't know until we have some numbers to work with.

In my particular case, I use the TP a lot throughout the day (lots of web browsing, youtube, skype, music, etc) and usually end up with anywhere between 30-40% charge at night. So I recharge it at night and start fresh again at 100% in the morning. It rarely just sits there unused so I can't provide you with a good metric for that...
    Can you give numbers? How much does it lose overnight for instance?

Also consider setting WiFi to turn off when the screen is off.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Define how you use it. Its realky hard to belueve that after heavy use you still have that many hours. Those hours are what HP claimed it would get when used nonstop and that was hype. Ive had the ipad1 and ipad2 and apple wildly claims 8 or 9 hours and its nowhere that but its far better than the tp
    I'm not the person you're responding to, but during my first use of the TouchPad, I managed about 10 hours during my battery test. It was tailored for me, so I had the backlight at minimum and simply browsed the web. I put it down several times, but likely never at a length of time that it would enter a deep sleep.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chronoreverse View Post
    Can you give numbers? How much does it lose overnight for instance?

Also consider setting WiFi to turn off when the screen is off.
    Nah, leave the Wi-Fi on if you're in an area where there's a network. No reason to have it turn off and on.
    Maybe you do have a bad battery because mine lasts for a very long time. I use it all the time and it still has juice left after a day of use. I am also overclocking (UKernel @1.5). The battery is one of my least complaints about it.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    Must be a bad battery, I travel with my ToichPad and use off and on all day and at the end of the day I still have plenty of battery left. Last time I was at the airport terminal waiting for my flight to depart the tho people next to me with ipads were charging them up before their flight.

This is why webOS Internals works night and day on UberKernels for multiple webOS devices. Releasing them through the testing feeds in Alpha and Beta state. Having users give tremendous feedback until it is deemed stable. Then the kernel is released in the public feeds for people to take advantage of, at no charge, for its so called "pure placebo effect".

I have seen incredible results. That's what Govnah is for. Tweaking multiple profiles until it performs to the best of its ability, based on your personal use.
    grappler likes this.
    roughly I lose 10-12% battery per hr with normal use (web, pandora, email, etc). I lose about 4% over night. OC'd to 1.5 and patches. I never turn off wifi.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    I have had great experience with the battery so far. I am also over clocked to 1.5 with Uberkernel and various other patches that have been recommended. I use my touchpad constantly, almost feel like I never set it down, and have yet to have the battery die on me. I charge it every night when I goto sleep and it easily lasts through the day for me, sometimes even surprises me with the amount of battery left.

I wonder if poor wifi signal increases your battery usage like in phones where bad data signal can use up a battery in no time.

I use my TP at somewhere between half-brightness and minimum-brightness. Its very rare I find the want or need to crank it all the way up. I also leave my WiFi on at all times. I never use Bluetooth so can't help there.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    I did a bunch of battery tests with the two 32gb TouchPads I have.

Out of the box results
    ~0.17% battery drain per hour when in standby with airplane mode on
    ~13% battery drain per hour with 720p video playback with screen set to lowest dim--turn the brightness all the way up and it will most likely double the drain. Anyone watching a 720p 2 hour movie with good brightness and only using less than 15% battery = must be nice. Most reviews show about 5 hours of movie playback maximum.
    ~470ma draw on battery with Govnah and everything idle and brightness as low as possible. Can be as low as 435.
    Turning the brightness all the way up and I wold easily see over 1,000ma draw on the battery.

Adding preware for some reason always ended up causing an increase in battery draw--never could figure out what was doing it. At one point all the preware patches and uber-kernel were all working just as 'out of the box' at 1.5GHz but then suddenly it would eat more batter =
    ~0.5% battery draw in standby with airplane mode one
    ~540ma draw on battery with Govnah and screen on lowest setting.
    As you can see that isn't a huge amount but over a few hours of use you would notice several percentages lost.

For me I ended up with out of box settings, turning logging down/off manually, and adjusting sound to be off as much as possible and that gave me the best results however, to get a full day (~8hrs of use I have to run with brightness set very low--that's generally fine except for movies and games.

All in all it isn't anything impressive but livable. I do have to give props to the ipad for its battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
    Lol, so you are saying your touchpad has a battery life of 16+ hrs.

Lets be real here.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast