Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by turbokenta View Post
    Just to chime in here... as I do believe I'm another one with a "bad" battery. Never gotten a full day's use out of my touchpad, spoke to hp support, and since it shows as healthy in the diagnostics, there is no exchange or anything they can or want to do about it.
    don't be misled by those claims of astronomical battery life.

Anywhere in between 6 to 9 hr is reasonable under heavy use (heavy internet data traffic).

Standby time can be several days but who cares about that.

You can try Dr. Battery to Check the health of your battery, other than that, you are probably fine.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    For op. In airplane mode, it should not consume any significant amount of battery.

Your system may have been messed up, I say do a doctor.

Be careful when patching.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Maybe the OP is a SUPER heavy user. Because he mentioned that his iPad2 doesn't get the claimed 9 hours, but Apple is pretty much universally praised in reviews for delivering 9 or 10 hours of actual usage. Also, I think my TPad is perfectly hitting the 8 or 9 hour mark.
    Under heavy use, 6 hours should still be achievable. I would consider that reasonable
    screen brightness is probably the biggest factor. I can get up to 8hrs with heavy usage at 50%. Up to 5hrs at 100% brightness.
    TPwebOS820 likes this.
    I don't know what it is but my battery (HSTNH-F29C-8-Pl967) seems to lose juice way too quickly.

No preware on mine and the only modification was minimizing logging levels

screen brightness is at about 2 clicks below 50%
    notifications I believe are all off and email updates are set to 24 hours
    I'm sort of seeing the same thing now that I have the kernel patched and overclocked. Before this, I would definitely not agree with the OP's statement. A fully charged TP could last me days with on and off use. After the UberKernel and 1.5 ghz overclock, holy crap I can see the battery draining pretty quickly. I had mine charged 100% yesterday morning and used it on and off throughout school. By the end of the day, it was down to 30%. I remember before it lasting WAY longer than that before the patch.

I'm going to test it some more and see. Maybe it's all in my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by ribeyesteaks View Post
    I'm sort of seeing the same thing now that I have the kernel patched and overclocked. Before this, I would definitely not agree with the OP's statement. A fully charged TP could last me days with on and off use. After the UberKernel and 1.5 ghz overclock, holy crap I can see the battery draining pretty quickly. I had mine charged 100% yesterday morning and used it on and off throughout school. By the end of the day, it was down to 30%. I remember before it lasting WAY longer than that before the patch.

I'm going to test it some more and see. Maybe it's all in my head.
    That sounds pretty normal to me, and collaborates with what everyone else has said in this thread. 6-10 hours. If you're going to school all day long, for 8 hours and you have 30% left.....that's about right. Remembering to keep the brightness down to the lowest viewable level is key.
    To the OP:

To get the most out of your battery, after its been charged/recharged a few time sto be broken in):

1, Turn screen brightness down to 10% or less (its not noticable, truly, but will save you lots of power, on any pad or smartphone)... and
    2. Use Airplane Mode whenever possible - you cantswitch beck and forth enough..when you need the web, turn it off, and when you don''t, turn it on.
    3. Use the Touchstone.. keep the TP on it all day, whenever possible, to keep it fuly charged; that alone will make the battery life "seem" better, becuse you'll always be using a frechly charged device.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Ok, time to put some hard data on the battery life. Remember that the battery is supposed to be rated at 6300mAh (it will vary) which equates to 6.3 hours of use at 1A per hour. Now, I have Uberkernel installed with 3.0.2 and I have the profile set to ondemandtcl at 1.5GHz max and 192MHz min. When the CPU bounces from minimum clocks (1 CPU at 192MHz and the other at 0) to maximum (both at 1.5GHz) the current draw goes up about 250mA (i.e. if you are at -500mA draw and the CPU's go under load, it will start reading around -750mA in draw, roughly). So you can determine based on your general usage, roughly how much time will be lost if you're pad is under constant load. Which takes me to the next area: the device idle with backlight.

If I set the backlight to maximum versus ~25% will add an additional ~400mA of current draw. Using 25% brightness versus minimum is about a difference of 50mA. So, minimum to maximum brightness is about 450mA of current draw. So the backlight is one of the largest consumers of battery life on the device and setting the device to 25% gives you very good visibility and power draw, so it appears to be a good compromise. Now data.

With wifi turned on or off, the power draw is roughly the same. The only time power draw occurs, from observation, is during polling and actual data transmission. I can put the device in airplane mode and the current draw difference is negligible. This is the same for Bluetooth. Just having Bluetooth on doesn't impact your battery life. When using it, however, is different, but I didn't actually look at the level of drain from Bluetooth in action. When I tried to see how much wifi network cost, I fired up Spaz and, while it refreshed tweets, I switched back to Govnah and noticed that the network data was coming at a cost of about 260mA, give or take a few. So if you are streaming music or video, or doing a Skype call, you can pretty much bet on about a quarter of an Amp of current draw.

So...when we put it all together you can start to see how your usage impacts the length of time the device will last. Typically, my system, when idle, at 25%, draws about 520mA with the screen on. So that's roughly 12 hours. When the device is off and idle, power usage drops to around 100mA or so, so if your device is off a lot, it will last a very long time before the power is gone, even with an occasional burst of network traffic for emails (I would guess 50+ hours of just sitting there and polling a couple of times an hour for email, with the screen off). Playing a streaming video is probably going to result in around 8 hours of use if constantly streaming videos at 25% backlight. Of course crank it up to 100% and that time drops to 5 hours. No finish watching the Lord of the Rings Trilogy for you!

I didn't look to see how much current is drawn when playing videos loaded on the device. But, I think this shows that typical heavy usage, with moderate data use, is probably going to get you around 12-14 hours of actual usage time. So the ability to use this device for a couple of days without charging is certainly possible if you aren't on it constantly (i.e. if you use it for about a third of your waking hours). Hope I illuminated this discussion somewhat. Just remember that Govnah and Uberkernel are your friends. You can easily monitor the current draw on you device and see if your device is not working right, or if some particular application or activity really kills your battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeym74 View Post
    What level is your screen brightness? Also which of the two types of battery does yours have when checking in Dr. Battery app?
    Honestly, I usually run with the screen level at minimum. It's just too bright much higher then that. I'd say between 0 and 25% at max, and often times especially at night I'll use the "reduce screen brightness even further" patch/trick to drop it down for comfortable in-bed reading mode.

Just pulling it off the charger this morning. Dr Battery reports health at 95%, 6612 mAh manufacturer rating, 6281 mAh calculated left. Actual tab shows 5532 mAh left.

In my usage I don't bother turning wifi off and leave bluetooth on all day as well (I use the hp keyboard quite a bit). I'm having no issues with battery life whatsoever, and would easily rate this device as the best battery-life portable computing device I've ever used. Much nicer than my pre for example, which, if used, will burn energy so fast you can physically WATCH it drop. I turn freetether on through my pre- and it will flatline that battery soooooo fast .
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    My Touchpad battery is fantastic. I have never even come close to running it down. I charge it every night.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    set govnah to ondemandtcl with the warthog, f15 or f4 kernels and you will see great battery life, even clocked to 1.5/1.7/1.8.....

set govnah to performance with same settings for clockage and battery life plummets....

ondemandtcl instantly ramps the processor speed when needed, rest of the time a total miser....I toggle between the two settings just because I can.....unless one is going for an e-pen*s award, ondemandtcl is the way to go.

I can go days without having to charge it up, depending on usage.....and still get the benefits of 1.836ghz when needed...

One should be able to watch 2 to 3 full length movies if set up properly....

It all comes down to settings pretty much.....

laterzzzzz...........

Oops, just noticed date of last postage, I am a tard....
    Last edited by bldegle2; 11/09/2011 at 08:26 AM.
    I couldn't disagree more about the battery. I actually am extremely impressed as to how long it lasts. 5 hours is easy with typical use and 8 hours is not unheard of. Then again my TP is totally stock.

one thing that I will complain about is how you are forced to use the HP charger. A regular cable works, but just barely. If the screen is on, a regular cable barely give it enough juice to charge it.
    Battery life isn't "terrible", but it's not even close to the ipad, so if you're use to "all day and night" battery life, then you'll be disappointed with the Touchpad.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    My battery reads 6612 ma in the manufacturers rating in Dr Battery.

Until yesterday it would regularly charge to 6700ma+. The battery life was phenomenal, probably better than 12 hours. I had false readings on both the top bar battery meter and in Dr Battery: the gauge would stay at 100% for two hours or so.

Last night I ran down the battery to the point of automatic shutdown for the first time.

Placed on the TS the screen gave the big red battery with the lightening bolt. I let the TP charge fully overnight.

Now the battery will not charge above 5325 ma or so and the battery life is dramatically reduced.

I understand that running the battery so low probably triggered a calibration cycle in the A6 chip, but is there any way reset this to the prior level and regain the lost capacity?

I've had my TP for about a month, it's been OC and customized since the second day, and has been running 3.04 since it came out.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thank you.
    Weird. I overclocked to 1.5 on 3.0.2 and the battery life still lasts over 6-7 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhayes View Post
    My battery reads 6612 ma in the manufacturers rating in Dr Battery.

Until yesterday it would regularly charge to 6700ma+. The battery life was phenomenal, probably better than 12 hours. I had false readings on both the top bar battery meter and in Dr Battery: the gauge would stay at 100% for two hours or so.

Last night I ran down the battery to the point of automatic shutdown for the first time.

Placed on the TS the screen gave the big red battery with the lightening bolt. I let the TP charge fully overnight.

Now the battery will not charge above 5325 ma or so and the battery life is dramatically reduced.

I understand that running the battery so low probably triggered a calibration cycle in the A6 chip, but is there any way reset this to the prior level and regain the lost capacity?

I've had my TP for about a month, it's been OC and customized since the second day, and has been running 3.04 since it came out.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thank you.
    I would try running it down all the way again and see if it helps. I've run mine down more than once without issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhayes View Post

I haven't seen any proof yet, that this will recalibrate the battery.
    Did the reading of the Health value in dr.battery change?
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    I haven't seen any proof yet, that this will recalibrate the battery.
    Did the reading of the Health value in dr.battery change?
    somline, great point, thank you! It hadn't occurred to me to compare those numbers.

Yes, on the Battery Health screen the percentage dropped from 100% to 95% and the Calculated Left value dropped to 6281. I believe it was 6612 before, the same as the Manufacturers Rating, possibly higher.

The behavior of the system has definitely changed since that one event.

I welcome any questions you may have. Thank you again.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast