Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44
Like Tree20Likes
  1.    #1  
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    dianaml likes this.
  2. #2  
    HELSINKI | Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:05am EDT

    (Reuters) - Hewlett-Packard Co (HP) should reconsider its decision to dump its TouchPad tablet since the device could double the value of the PC division HP plans to spin off, technology research firm Canalys said in a note to clients.

    <break>

    Apple Inc created the tablet or pad market with its iPad only last year and still dominates the segment. It has sold some 30 million of the devices, which are priced from about $500.

    "HP has established a lead in the race to be the number two behind Apple in the pad business but the window of opportunity will begin to close if delays occur," Canalys said.

    Helped by aggressive pricing and hype around the TouchPad, HP could achieve and maintain 10 percent share of the global market for media tablets, the research group said.

    Canalys said a 10 percent market share of tablets could double or triple the PC unit's estimated value of between $8 billion and $10 billion.

    (Reporting By Tarmo Virki; Editing by David Holmes)
    30:1 is a huge difference, if you're a developer.
    Last edited by sledge007; 09/15/2011 at 02:20 PM.
  3. #3  
    1 might keep the ports coming though....which isnt the end of the world. PhoneGap might be our savior!
  4. #4  
    I found this article, from a direct link from HP's News Room, dated yesterday:

    HP Chairman Wants PC Business Spinoff To Carry HP Name
    By Joseph F. Kovar, CRN

    was reading through it, it's pretty long so I'll leave the link. I also don't know the credibility of CRN, so if somebody knows, feel free to pipe up. I found an interesting quote by Kris Rogers, executive vice president of sales for PC Mall:

    "We have not experienced customers pulling back or switching to other vendors because of the PSG announcement," she said. "It doesn’t appear to have changed customer buying behavior and sales have not materially been affected. We see no reason why we will not have a solid quarter with HP PSG . Our focus is full speed ahead with PSG. It is the largest part of our HP business."

    Rogers said she has been heartened by an HP Smart Buy program that was launched several weeks ago on select PSG products. That program was ratcheted up, she said, with new financial incentives. "That is a very strong go to market proposition for us," she said of the renewed Smart Buy offensive.

    Offensive???? I thought it was a liquidation???
    (Also assuming that the select PSG products were the 16 & 32GB TouchPads.)


    Here's the link:
    http://www.crn.com/news/client-devic...ame.htm?pgno=2
  5. #5  
    What's interesting to me about the Canalys report is that a number of people around here (not me) have said similar things and have largely been ridiculed. I don't know how the economies of scale work in this kind of business, so I have no idea if HP or the PSG should reconsider killing the TouchPad ... but I'd like it if they did.

    Do the folks at Canalys typically know what they're talking about?
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
  6. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #6  
    Do the folks at Canalys typically know what they're talking about?
    You can know what you are talking about but still be wrong - the two aren't mutually exclusive*.


    * Not saying they are wrong but the two are often unconnected.
    sledge007 and Rnp like this.
  7. #7  
    Right, but I was just asking if they are spouting utter nonsense or sharing an informed opinion.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I found this article, from a direct link from HP's News Room, dated yesterday:

    HP Chairman Wants PC Business Spinoff To Carry HP Name
    By Joseph F. Kovar, CRN

    was reading through it, it's pretty long so I'll leave the link. I also don't know the credibility of CRN, so if somebody knows, feel free to pipe up. I found an interesting quote by Kris Rogers, executive vice president of sales for PC Mall:




    Offensive???? I thought it was a liquidation???
    (Also assuming that the select PSG products were the 16 & 32GB TouchPads.)


    Here's the link:
    http://www.crn.com/news/client-devic...ame.htm?pgno=2
    CRN is extremely credible. It is main industry rag for HP to talk to the channel and the channel to talk to HP, thanks for the article.

    To me, the telling quote is "Lane said that even a month later HP (NYSE:HPQ)'s objectives are still not understood by the industry. " This suggests HP is getting incredible pushback on spinning out PSG. Still, I believe they have begun re-assigning or laying off the Palm hardware group so I'm not sure how easy it would be to reassemble the team even if they rethought their decision which I think is unlikely, too bad. Best I am hoping for is that Bradley sees popularity of TouchPad and HP sees advantages to having webOS OS on mobile systems and not just apps and they strike a deal together (quickly).

    I believe the HP Smart Buy Program is a program concerning PCs and other equipment, googling it leads me to HP website for desktops:
    "The HP Smart Buy program offers mainstream business solutions at competitive prices with amazing savings, excellent availability, and superior HP quality."
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Here's the article:



    30:1 is a huge difference, if you're a developer.
    Isn't that what they said about Windows PC vs Mac not too long ago?

    Remember how people who used Macs were ridiculed and laughed at?

    These days, everybody(average consumers and professionals wants a Mac laptop/desktop.
    Last edited by Touchpaddle; 09/15/2011 at 10:36 AM.
    sledge007 likes this.
  10. #10  
    <threads merged>
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    <threads merged>
    Hi all, you all beat me to the ponch...it's not like we haven't all said they should reconsider dumping the TpuchPad.

    Take care all,

    Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by untitled View Post
    What's interesting to me about the Canalys report is that a number of people around here (not me) have said similar things and have largely been ridiculed. I don't know how the economies of scale work in this kind of business, so I have no idea if HP or the PSG should reconsider killing the TouchPad ... but I'd like it if they did.

    Do the folks at Canalys typically know what they're talking about?
    As one of those who was ridiculed for saying this (and starting a thread about it), I'm glad to see that my view was supported by industry analyst. It would be interesting to see if HP could resurrect the TouchPad, but I doubt they will.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    Isn't that what they said about Windows PC vs Mac not too long ago?

    Remember how people who used Macs were ridiculed and laughed at?

    These days, everybody(average consumers and professionals wants a Mac laptop/desktop.
    Yes and Macs only made up 4% of the overall desktop/laptop computers sales at the time. I rooted for them even though I could never get the funds to buy one at the time. Now they are firing on all cylinders. It's amazing how people forget the bad times when a company becomes successful.
  14. #14  
    "Research firm Canalys recently sent a note to its clients that suggested HP might have better luck spinning off its PC business if it revived its webOS-powered TouchPad tablet. Canalys said the TouchPad could boost the value of HP’s computer division by as much as twofold, given the recent popularity of the tablet at its lower $99 price point. “The TouchPad was overpriced at launch and did not sell,” Canalys said in a note Thursday. “This led HP to draw a premature conclusion that the product category had failed.” Of course, the “hype” surrounding HP’s tablet likely had little to do with the tablet itself. Instead, a retail rush resulted from a fire sale and the media’s coverage of that sale. Read on for more.

    Canalys suggested that the new-found popularity of the TouchPad could propel it to be the second most popular tablet in the United States with a 10% market share. “The TouchPad has become the ‘must-have’ technology product of 2011,” Canalys said. The firm seems to be neglecting the fact that all of this interest in HP’s TouchPad stemmed from the slate’s rock-bottom price, however, which is impossible to sustain. HP noted previously that selling its TouchPad inventory off at $99 a pop will cost the company $100 million.

    “Perhaps no other technology vendor, apart from Apple, has ever created such hype for a technology product,” Canalys continued. “HP has established a lead in the race to be the number two behind Apple in the pad business but the window of opportunity will begin to close if delays occur.”

    HP has suggested that it may resurrect its TouchPad business and said in early September that it was building one last batch of the tablets."

    And the 'must-have' tech product of 2011 is... HP's TouchPad?
  15. #15  
    <thread merged>
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Yes and Macs only made up 4% of the overall desktop/laptop computers sales at the time. I rooted for them even though I could never get the funds to buy one at the time. Now they are firing on all cylinders. It's amazing how people forget the bad times when a company becomes successful.
    My 1980 Apple II is still in the basement in sealed factory box.(yes, never opened it
    after I bought it at a clerance sale in 1980 or 1981) Someday I'm going to get my
    [rear end] off the couch and sell the sucker on eBay.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Still, I believe they have begun re-assigning or laying off the Palm hardware group so I'm not sure how easy it would be to reassemble the team even if they rethought their decision which I think is unlikely, too bad.
    Not true.
    Word on the street is that nobody in the webOS hardware group has been let go or received a pink slip yet. Almost a month after DUFASS Leo's announcement, this only leads to further speculation the company isn't really sure what it wants to do with PSG and webOS moving forward.

    Internally, support of the webOS platform has grown exponentially, whilst support for duffass Leo is on a quick decline. After the purchase of Palm, many employees gravitated to the platform, most of them using it for the first time. The internal user base swelled over the 14 month period. According to insiders, the internal company blogs are now chock full of employee posts bemoaning DUFASS'S move and echoing sentiments of fear he may be destroying the company many of them have worked a long time to build.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
  18. #18  
    When they started out - HP's goal was to be #2 in the tablet market, according to reports, they now are. I'm not sure whether this is for TouchPads vs other tablets, ot WebOS vs other Operating systems. I'm pretty sure that this wasn't their original plan as to how to get there - I'm one of the ones that think that they have an unexpected opportunity - and should try to leverage it to get out of the hole they got themselves in to. Plus - remember - there's still an other 100-200k coming next month. Or, is HTC REALLY interested in WebOS???
    ilovedessert likes this.
  19. #19  
    delusional as one commenter put it. They can't sell it for a profitable price. they can't afford the money to make it profitable. and people only bought it cause it was $99. This is a pipe dream that just ignores the financial reality. If it's such a slam dunk people would be beating down doors to buy it. This is a pipe dream born of desperation.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Not true.
    Word on the street is that nobody in the webOS hardware group has been let go or received a pink slip yet. Almost a month after DUFASS Leo's announcement, this only leads to further speculation the company isn't really sure what it wants to do with PSG and webOS moving forward.

    Internally, support of the webOS platform has grown exponentially, whilst support for duffass Leo is on a quick decline. After the purchase of Palm, many employees gravitated to the platform, most of them using it for the first time. The internal user base swelled over the 14 month period. According to insiders, the internal company blogs are now chock full of employee posts bemoaning DUFASS'S move and echoing sentiments of fear he may be destroying the company many of them have worked a long time to build.
    Hi,

    On behalf of everyone here:

    THANK YOU!

    Take care,

    Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions