Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes
    They had to get it out as fast as possible, in order to keep as many developers as possible on board.

(However: Note that "as early as possible" doesn't mean that it was ok to release a product that clearly wasn't ready.)

IMHO they should have concentrated on either the phone or the tablet, to make sure that they released a polished product, instead of splitting their ressources by working at the Veer/Pre3 and TP at the same time.
    (I don't know about webOS on phones, but webOS on a tablet is clearly an immature product: Slow, clunky and bug-filled)

And yes, price it 1-200 dollars below the iPad at launch, to compete on price and also because an iPad as the situation stands right now, clearly offers a better and more complete experience.

And lastly: I disagree that "there is no tablet market, only an iPad market". Android tabs allready have 20-25% of the market, and will only grow. But its a marathon, not a sprint. Making the Touchpad a success would have taken 2 or 3 years of pouring ressources into the platform, before seeing a return. HP wasnt willing to take that gamble.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by vszulc View Post

And lastly: I disagree that "there is no tablet market, only an iPad market". Android tabs allready have 20-25% of the market, and will only grow. But its a marathon, not a sprint. Making the Touchpad a success would have taken 2 or 3 years of pouring ressources into the platform, before seeing a return. HP wasnt willing to take that gamble.
    They have 25% of the market (and shrinking thanks to the TouchPad and RIM tablets), the bulk of those sales are not at the iPad price point. There is nothing even making a dent on the iPad at the price point of those devices. Makes sense too, because there's no other tablet offering as complete an experience yet. That may finally change with Android ICS. Even Google itself admits Honeycomb was a rush job in order to compete against the iPad.

And I didn't say there was no tablet market, only an iPad market...I said at the price point of iPads, there's no tablet market, only an iPad market. The HP TouchPad sale showed there's a tablet marketplace at the lower price points. But sales to date have shown theres little interest for a $500+ tablet unless it's an iPad. Small numbers of Xoom and Galaxy sales bear this out.
    Quote Originally Posted by *****lyPete View Post
    They have 25% of the market (and shrinking thanks to the TouchPad and RIM tablets), the bulk of those sales are not at the iPad price point. There is nothing even making a dent on the iPad at the price point of those devices. Makes sense too, because there's no other tablet offering as complete an experience yet. That may finally change with Android ICS. Even Google itself admits Honeycomb was a rush job in order to compete against the iPad.

And I didn't say there was no tablet market, only an iPad market...I said at the price point of iPads, there's no tablet market, only an iPad market. The HP TouchPad sale showed there's a tablet marketplace at the lower price points. But sales to date have shown theres little interest for a $500+ tablet unless it's an iPad. Small numbers of Xoom and Galaxy sales bear this out.
    25% of the market? Really? Can you link me to a stat?
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rstark View Post
    25% of the market? Really? Can you link me to a stat?
    Apple iPad's dominance in tablet market continues - Business - Macworld UK
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123