Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    With auto-correct one, it automatically replaces my words with what it deems to be correct without giving me an option to choose not to do so. What were they thinking?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/05/2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: made title less aggitating
    go to text-assist and turn it off
    Launcher/Settings/Text Assist/Auto Correct/OFF
    You're running 3.0.2, right? There's a world of difference in Text Assist in the update. It works remarkably well. Remember, if autocorrect ever does anything you don't like, just hit backspace and it will restore your original. Also, read up on how to add words to the Text Assist dictionary, and how to use shortcuts, etc.
    Dis likes this.
    Its completely useless as it replaces EVERY word if you writd in a foreign language (as Im doing at the moment). How do I turn off the red underlining too? When wrting english EVERYTHING is red :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    go to text-assist and turn it off
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Launcher/Settings/Text Assist/Auto Correct/OFF
    Thank God maxspiderx thought to ask this question. To be honest I didn't realize it was the touchpad doing it and it was driving me batty. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    You're running 3.0.2, right? There's a world of difference in Text Assist in the update. It works remarkably well. Remember, if autocorrect ever does anything you don't like, just hit backspace and it will restore your original. Also, read up on how to add words to the Text Assist dictionary, and how to use shortcuts, etc.
    Maybe works for some but the auto-correct features, like and those on phones drive me nuts. I'm used to correcting my own mistakes so feel like it's constantly fighting me.
    Yea, just turn the damn thing off!!
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by maxspiderx View Post
    With auto-correct one, it automatically replaces my words with what it deems to be correct without giving me an option to choose not to do so. What were they thinking?
    i can totally relate. I got so ****ed off during the world cup. I'm drunk in a loud crowded pub using my Pre minus and everyone is screaming and when i kept trying to text with my "U.S." and it kept changing it to "you.s"
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    sledge007 likes this.
  9.    #9  
    I don't want to turn it off because I still type English most of the time and need the auto-correcting. It's just like the previous poster mentioned, it corrects your every word when typing in a foreign language.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Yes annoying as hell, only thing I dislike about 2.1 and up.
    i'm on 1.4.5 so question: I was under the impression that 2.0 had an editable autocorrect dictionary. Is that not true? Or is it just too cumbersome to edit autocorrect to what you want?
    Quote Originally Posted by maxspiderx View Post
    I don't want to turn it off because I still type English most of the time and need the auto-correcting. It's just like the previous poster mentioned, it corrects your every word when typing in a foreign language.
    oh i don't know if this helps but like in my "U.S." autocorrected to "You.s." problem above. If you type U. then it changes to "you." you can hit backspace and it will revert to "u." then you can keep typing. It sucks though and doesn't really help me because i'm trying to type fast and i miss it or forget 100% of the time. but thought i'd mention it.probably won't keep bad autocorrect from being annoying though.
    Type in PreCentral or Uberkernal and see what you get!
    El Valluco likes this.
    Any autocorrection can be undone with a backspace, as SnotBoogie notes.

So if you type ill and it autocorrects to I'll, you can hit backspace once to get ill back.

This works for auto-capitalization as well (I'm lookin' at you, Advanced Browser bookmarks).
    I have mine off because I think it slows down the TP to a point where the virtual keyboard becomes less responsive.
    U.S. , no spaces, problem solved.

it used to bug me, but I put in some effort to keep adding the words/shortcuts it didn't recognize, and had very little issues after about a month, then I doctored, and had to start over

I think there is a way to back it up, but forgot to look into it.

on that note, I also lost all my passwords to every site I login to (SecuStore), and actually had to learn my lesson twice on that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    U.S. , no spaces, problem solved.

it used to bug me, but I put in some effort to keep adding the words/shortcuts it didn't recognize, and had very little issues after about a month, then I doctored, and had to start over

I think there is a way to back it up, but forgot to look into it.

on that note, I also lost all my passwords to every site I login to (SecuStore), and actually had to learn my lesson twice on that one.
    but it is true that in 2.0 you could edit the autocorrect right? I don't have it but that was the one function i was looking forward to. man i tried to do the autocorrect patches for the pre minus and never fully got it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by dodnet View Post
    Its completely useless as it replaces EVERY word if you writd in a foreign language (as Im doing at the moment). How do I turn off the red underlining too? When wrting english EVERYTHING is red :-(
    Looks like you found out how to turn auto correct off.
    Yes I turned it off, but still every word is red underlined - which is completely useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    but it is true that in 2.0 you could edit the autocorrect right? I don't have it but that was the one function i was looking forward to. man i tried to do the autocorrect patches for the pre minus and never fully got it right.
    i cant remember to be honest, I didn't stay with 2.1 for that long, maybe a month before reverting back to 1.4.5. Those patches didn't work for me either. I'm pretty sure I just went through the list and made my own corrections. My favorite "corrected" words included: surprize, catalogue,I thought I could think of more, but my Pre- is nothing more than a MHS/phone/text device. The odd picture in a pinch.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast