1.    #1  
    i get this error when installing kernels. Can anyone help?
    I think the error is clearly stated:
    No space left on device
    The script installing the kernel has to copy something (cp) and there is no space left.
    Clear some space on your device and try again.

Regards
    It means that you have done something to write files to the tiny root partition, which is separate from the large USB partition. No homebrew installer does this by default, so you must have done something manually to cause that.

Your solution is to doctor your device and start again.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It means that you have done something to write files to the tiny root partition, which is separate from the large USB partition. No homebrew installer does this by default, so you must have done something manually to cause that.

Your solution is to doctor your device and start again.

-- Rod
    thats what i thought, but is there a way to tell how much of the root partition i used up and maybe find and delete the files causing the problem? where would be a good place to look?
    Quote Originally Posted by zigzagable View Post
    thats what i thought, but is there a way to tell how much of the root partition i used up and maybe find and delete the files causing the problem? where would be a good place to look?
    If you're installing custom kernels then I assume you're able to get to the console? If so, just issue df and it'll tell you all the mountpoints and their storage usage. you can do df / to get just the root. or df by itself to see everything. (best to do when first powered up as most apps create a jail mountpoint to live in when they start).

if you want to search around and try to figure what what's taking up the space you can issue du -sk * |sort -n and it'll check file usage from where you are recursively and sort by largest last. That'll give you an idea of where the space is being sucked up.

--Chris
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by christr View Post
    If you're installing custom kernels then I assume you're able to get to the console? If so, just issue df and it'll tell you all the mountpoints and their storage usage. you can do df / to get just the root. or df by itself to see everything. (best to do when first powered up as most apps create a jail mountpoint to live in when they start).

if you want to search around and try to figure what what's taking up the space you can issue du -sk * |sort -n and it'll check file usage from where you are recursively and sort by largest last. That'll give you an idea of where the space is being sucked up.

--Chris
    thanks a lot! i ran "df /" and found out that the root partition is 100% full, however i can't get "du -sk * |sort -n" to work.
    The most common cause of this is someone installing an early version of the Ubuntu chroot (before we put the safety check in it) without mounting their ext3fs partition first.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  8.    #8  
    well i just checked root and there is 5.81 GB in the /var/palm/jail/org.webosinternals.tweaks.prefs/ directory

furthermore one of the directories there is a media directory which takes me to internal, where there is 5.45 GB taken up. so it looks like this, "/var/palm/jail/org.webosinternals.tweaks.prefs/media/internal/"

can i mess with this directory?
    Everything in /var/palm/jail is just a bind mount from somewhere else which takes up no space.

If you remove anything from /var/palm/jail you're guaranteed to have to doctor.

-- Rod
  10.    #10  
    i know WHAT and WHERE root is, but what directories are considered to be apart of the root directory? i just really don't want to doctor even tho i can backup most of my stuff. also i did do this:

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The most common cause of this is someone installing an early version of the Ubuntu chroot (before we put the safety check in it) without mounting their ext3fs partition first.

-- Rod
    is there any way to fix it without doctoring?
    i know WHAT and WHERE root is, but what directories are considered to be apart of the root directory? i just really don't want to doctor even tho i can backup most of my stuff. also i did do this:
    You need to unmount /media/ext3fs, then rm -rf /media/ext3fs, then mkdir /media/ext3fs, then mount it again.

-- Rod
  12.    #12  
    i didn't have that directory and it won't let me do the first to commands :/
    i didn't have that directory and it won't let me do the first to commands :/
    Then I suggest you doctor and start again.

-- Rod
  14.    #14  
    yeah i probably will thanks for answering my questions tho
    i have this problem. i have around 8 gigs free on my 32 gb touchpad

I just re-doctored my touchpad to 3.0.5 and still i get this error! it wont let me update apps.

I have CM9 installed, does that matter?
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    You can install 'Commander' - then navigate to root folder and you can use some commands for checking what could be the problem:

Cmd -> Library -> disk usage (current directory)
    Cmd -> Library -> files greater than 10MB
    Cmd -> df
    so what has to be done then?
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    depends on the results (from those commands) ... simple case - just delete some huge files that should not be there (for example if you copied them by accident) ... worst case - don't know.

Post output from:
    Code:
    #library#files greater than 10MB
    find / -type f -size +10000k -exec du -h {} \;
    (you can replace 10000 with something bigger if there are too many files to check them all)