Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    On my iPad, if I buy apps from Apple, a 99-cent app just shows up as $0.99 on my credit card receipt.

    By contrast, why am I being charged 9.25% sales tax for a 99-cent app purchased from Apps Catalog? It shows up as $1.08 on my credit card.

    My home and billing address is the same on my Apple account and HP Apps Store account.

    There is a actually a physical Apple Store in a nearby mall, so Apple has physical presense in my state. I don't know if HP has a physical presense in my state?

    Obviously, I'm not fighting over a few cents. It's just a matter of principle. If I'm required to be charged sales tax on app purchases, then so be it. I just don't know why HP collects the sale tax, but Apple does not.
  2. #2  
    Either Apple is paying the sales tax for you or they are doing something wrong. I know in my state, on your yearly state taxes, they ask for you to report internet purchases that weren't taxed on initial purchase, so they can calculate what would have been your sales tax.

    Been a while since I purchased something from iTunes, but they also (at least with media) have a set pricing structure, so maybe that is worked in.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    jbg22003 likes this.
  3. #3  
    Apple does not tax. The price you see (99-$99) is what you are charged. I have not purchased a app from HP, yet. The tax is not worked in btw.

    Sent from my LG-MS690 using Tapatalk
  4. SithLord's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    #4  
    most likely due to the tax nexus law HP has locations in many more states.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by DCPeterson2000 View Post
    most likely due to the tax nexus law HP has locations in many more states.
    but the Apple Store is just down the road from me, so Apple does have physical presence here. yet they don't charge sales tax on the apps.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    On my iPad, if I buy apps from Apple, a 99-cent app just shows up as $0.99 on my credit card receipt.

    By contrast, why am I being charged 9.25% sales tax for a 99-cent app purchased from Apps Catalog? It shows up as $1.08 on my credit card.

    My home and billing address is the same on my Apple account and HP Apps Store account.

    There is a actually a physical Apple Store in a nearby mall, so Apple has physical presense in my state. I don't know if HP has a physical presense in my state?

    Obviously, I'm not fighting over a few cents. It's just a matter of principle. If I'm required to be charged sales tax on app purchases, then so be it. I just don't know why HP collects the sale tax, but Apple does not.

    Well, that's just wrong, I don't remember the Catalog or anything letting me know about taxes on app purchase
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
  7. #7  
    I'm gonna guess that Apple's really charging you $0.91 for the product then adding tax to make it a total of $0.99. HP's charging you $0.99 for the product, then adding sales tax to make it $1.08.

    Or......Apple's Retail Stores are actually a separate operation from Apple's App Store operation that operates only out of California, hence no tax. In that case, I'd also say that HP's App Catalog operation is embedded within HP itself and since HP is in every nook and cranny on the planet, it charges sales tax for everything everywhere.

    Dunno, just guessing. This country has soooo many regulations it could be anything.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
  8. #8  
    just pick up a dime from the floor. Don't sweat it.
    frankos72 and shanpalm61 like this.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by JaimitoBond View Post
    just pick up a dime from the floor. Don't sweat it.
    What city do you live it? I haven't seen a dime, or even a penny, on the street in ages.
  10. #10  
    I've ordered quite a few apps from HP and have never been charged tax. I live in Florida, so maybe we have different sales tax laws here that you have?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobeekay View Post
    I've ordered quite a few apps from HP and have never been charged tax. I live in Florida, so maybe we have different sales tax laws here that you have?
    *than you have
  12. #12  
    Could also depend on state law. I was charged sales tax from an Apple app purchase while my residence was in Wisconsin.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
  13. #13  
    I live in California, have bought multiple apps and no tax charged.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobeekay View Post
    I've ordered quite a few apps from HP and have never been charged tax. I live in Florida, so maybe we have different sales tax laws here that you have?
    There were some Europeans discussing how to get US prepaid MC/VISA cards to purchase from the US app store. I think one of them mentioned Florida as one of the states not to charge sales tax if I remember right.
  15. #15  
    Apple may count their apps as a "service", whereas HP may count it as a "product". That's really something I'd call HP about, though.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  16. #16  
    Indeed, HP may have been sued/fined in multiple jurisdictions on this, it is such a large organization spanning many industries and geographic regions. Apple may very well have to start doing the same if they are not paying the sales tax to the corresponding jurisdictions.
  17. #17  
    On my iPhone, when I buy apps, I always get charged sales tax. Apple has stores in my state, so I assume that's why sales tax is charged. The only time sales tax isn't charged is if the app is free.
  18. #18  
    Apple takes 30% or so of a Apps selling price (so, for $0.99 Apple takes around $0.297). I have no idea how much HP takes off sales however that count be why.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Time View Post
    Apple takes 30% or so of a Apps selling price (so, for $0.99 Apple takes around $0.297). I have no idea how much HP takes off sales however that count be why.
    Actually, Apple only takes 30% on apps $1.99 or more; anything less is 100% profit to the developer.



    That's an iTunes statement for one of my last purchases, and as you can clearly see, I was never charged any tax for the $0.99 app I purchased. And I live in California where Apple is headquartered.
  20. #20  
    never charged tax on any iphone or android purchases. And I wasn't charged tax when I bought the camera app from the catalog. I live in FL
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions