Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    Apple does not tax. The price you see (99-$99) is what you are charged. I have not purchased a app from HP, yet. The tax is not worked in btw.

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Tapatalk
    That used to be the case but I have been seeing tax added to my purchases for several years now (on my apple devices iphone 3G and ipad). I am in NC.
    I know that when we purchase software online (for corporate licensing) it's counted as "electronic delivery" and isn't subject to tax. Sounds like you might want to do some investigating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Could also depend on state law. I was charged sales tax from an Apple app purchase while my residence was in Wisconsin.
    HP has a presence in Madison. They have corporate offices off of highway 51. Otherwise, wi still doesn't auto-tax out of state online purchases. Of course they expect you to file and pay when doing your taxes ;-).
  4.    #24  
    Like I said, I don't mind paying a few extra pennies, if that's what my state law requires.

I'm only wondering why Apple doesn't while HP does. Just checked... both have big physical presense in my states.(based on their websites)
    You guys think you have it bad... I live in Texas, and was charged $0.41 tax on my $0.99 purchase that I was billed $5.00 for. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    Like I said, I don't mind paying a few extra pennies, if that's what my state law requires.

I'm only wondering why Apple doesn't while HP does. Just checked... both have big physical presense in my states.(based on their websites)

Quote Originally Posted by shampoohorn View Post
    Of course they expect you to file and pay when doing your taxes ;-).
    A good example of this is ebay purchases. Most of the time a company will charge sales tax if required, but individuals do not collect the sales tax. You are then supposed to report these non-taxed purchases on your state taxes for tax collection.

Ohhh and as far as the newer tax legislation in CA (maybe other states), Amazon has even found a way around this without removing their affiliate program in CA. I don't have the details as to how they are circumventing the new CA tax law, but they made a new affiliate contract with the Adam Carolla Show after the tax law was put in place and Amazon is still not charging CA residents sales tax.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by shampoohorn View Post
    HP has a presence in Madison. They have corporate offices off of highway 51. Otherwise, wi still doesn't auto-tax out of state online purchases. Of course they expect you to file and pay when doing your taxes ;-).
    Last time I made a purchase from the Apple app store while I still had a Wisconsin billing address on my Apple account, they did charge me sales tax.

That was late last year.

I changed it after I noticed that and my current state doesn't have any sales tax.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    So, let's say you find 20 apps @ .99 that you just have to have. That means about $2.00 in tax. Really?? You're going to go ballistic over $2.00?
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Apple isn't paying the taxes for you. I live in MA and they charge me the prevailing sales tax rate (6.25%) on purchased App's. As did HP when I purchased Glimpse yesterday.
    I live in Idaho and have always been taxed on my Pre 1 and TP purchases. Probably a state to state thing is my guess. My phone is Sprint and the tax charge in billing is cheaper in Idaho than it was in Washington state where I used to live. I was charged tax on apps there as well on my Palm 755p in Washington state.
    Oh, to have 6.25% sales tax. 9.25% here in Memphis. We cross over to MS for big purchases.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12