Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Loccy
  • 1 Post By fwinst
  • 1 Post By sweet greggo
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Lots of people on this forum, like me, are wishing for webOS to be picked up by HTC or Samsung or some other player. But I wonder if that ends up helping TP users. Samsung is not going to be OTA updating webOS on TPs, and neither is HP. The app store may be incompatible with that from an older vendor like HP. Things are not really going to get better for TP owners even if webOS lives.
    Except HP is updating webOS on TPs
    How did you conclude that "Samsung is not going to be OTA updating webOS on TPs" and what app store incompatibilities are you talking about?

If someone bought webOS what use would they have of just a bunch of code if there wasn't even such a slim userbase with a potential to grow bigger? And if they couldn't control the whole ecosystem around webOS to grow it?

So neglecting the current userbase would mean a suicide to anyone trying to profit from webOS purchase.

Bottom line, you're only mistakenly thinking of 'buying webOS' as buying just the webOS code. You should be thinking in terms of somebody buying the webOS business as that's what has value. Not so much the lines of code by themselves. Market, userbase, app store, distribution channels, not to mention employees and basically the whole ecosystem around webOS is what really could have value for some other company.

Rest assured the average user not following the news about webOS probably wouldn't even notice anything different until the next OTA update which would change the logos and all references of 'HP webOS'.
    Last edited by domicius; 09/14/2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Just removed a couple of asterisks that somehow got in my message (was posting from mobile version)
    Did HP ever update the Palm-branded phones?
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Palm had stopped updating PalmOS after WebOS launched. That was before HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by bs03 View Post
    Palm had stopped updating PalmOS after WebOS launched. That was before HP.
    HP haven't launched another OS. They simply stopped support for Palm devices
    The TouchPad will be abandoned in a year or so no matter what happens, because all tablets and cell phones are. The Droid Incredible, which was a superstar phone in 2010, is already on its last legs, getting one last update before it fades away entirely.

We should enjoy the TouchPad for what it is and not worry about what it never was going to be.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
    If it lives, the cool factor will dissipate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bajingo View Post
    Did HP ever update the Palm-branded phones?
    Yep. My Pre2 had a Palm splash screen out of the box. When it did an OTA it changed to an HP one. Mind you they missed the logo on the back of the device :-)
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Global Posts
    891 Global Posts
    Recent Palm/webOS history has been a story of too little, too late. Great ideas that are not fully developed, then some other OS comes along to steal their thunder. Like it or not, Windows 8 is going to have the potential to do that to webOS again. Multi-tasking, easy access to all your windows programs. They even were talking about "Tap-To-Share". If somebody is going to take up the webOS banner, it had better be very soon.
    kryptonite_2448 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    Recent Palm/webOS history has been a story of too little, too late. Great ideas that are not fully developed, then some other OS comes along to steal their thunder. Like it or not, Windows 8 is going to have the potential to do that to webOS again. Multi-tasking, easy access to all your windows programs. They even were talking about "Tap-To-Share". If somebody is going to take up the webOS banner, it had better be very soon.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. Windows 8 will be the death of webOS, the demise of Android, and the first *real* competitor to iOS. In fact, Apple should be worried. If they lose the "I-own-an-Apple-product" grip on society, Windows 8 will leave them in the dust. I haven't even tried Windows 8, but what I read, it's going to be awesome!
    Current: OnePlus One, Nexus 10
    Retired: Palm Centro, Palm Pre+, HP Veer, HP TouchPad, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Moto X (2013), Nexus 7 (2012)

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
    Quote Originally Posted by Loccy View Post
    Yep. My Pre2 had a Palm splash screen out of the box. When it did an OTA it changed to an HP one. Mind you they missed the logo on the back of the device :-)
    Yeah that happened when I manually installed 2.0 to my o2 pre minus. Hate the hp splash
    webOS isn't being sold. If by some miracle it actually gets licensed out it won't affect the App Catalog or TouchPad. Those will still be maintained by HP.
    jmleese likes this.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by domicius View Post
    How did you conclude that "Samsung is not going to be OTA updating webOS on TPs" and what app store incompatibilities are you talking about?

If someone bought webOS what use would they have of just a bunch of code if there wasn't even such a slim userbase with a potential to grow bigger? And if they couldn't control the whole ecosystem around webOS to grow it?

So neglecting the current userbase would mean a suicide to anyone trying to profit from webOS purchase.

Bottom line, you're only mistakenly thinking of 'buying webOS' as buying just the webOS code. You should be thinking in terms of somebody buying the webOS business as that's what has value. Not so much the lines of code by themselves. Market, userbase, app store, distribution channels, not to mention employees and basically the whole ecosystem around webOS is what really could have value for some other company.

Rest assured the average user not following the news about webOS probably wouldn't even notice anything different until the next OTA update which would change the logos and all references of 'HP webOS'.
    The difference is, HP bought all of Palm, including its existing business. The current talk is only of webOS being divested. The Touchpad business stands killed off. There is no question of that being sold again.

OTA updates are customized to hardware and carriers, and it is not trivial to keep supporting older devices if you don't control the hardware.

The app market I think is deeply tied to HP's backend, hence my belief that a purchaser of webOS would have to redo the app market in a probably backward incompatible way.
    Quote Originally Posted by untitled View Post
    The Droid Incredible, which was a superstar phone in 2010, is already on its last legs, getting one last update before it fades away entirely.
    The Incredible should be supported till April 2012 w/ the latest OS updates. It should get ice cream sandwich. That is a bummer.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    HP haven't launched another OS. They simply stopped support for Palm devices

Actually there were webOS updates to 2.x made after HP acquired Palm Such as a Sprint 2.0.1 and 2.1 beta, but that will only get you half way in the door as the carriers can be over the top in their final approval of new updates. At the time they were also working heavily on 3.x and prob got sick of chasing their own tail and thought it was wiser to devote those people to the tablets success.

And,yes I have seen both the above, but it is not allowed to link back to here and I don't have that in front of me. Though Google search should not be that big a chore
    Global Posts
    891 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet greggo View Post
    webOS isn't being sold. If by some miracle it actually gets licensed out it won't affect the App Catalog or TouchPad. Those will still be maintained by HP.
    If you are correct, and webOS remains with HP, AND it is not licensed out soon, I'm afraid that it will become irrelevant, and only "maintained" by some of the enthusiasts we see here, within the next year or two. HP does not seem willing (at this time) to do what is necessary to keep webOS viable as a stand alone OS in the long run. So sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite_2448 View Post
    I couldn't have said it better myself. Windows 8 will be the death of webOS, the demise of Android, and the first *real* competitor to iOS. In fact, Apple should be worried. If they lose the "I-own-an-Apple-product" grip on society, Windows 8 will leave them in the dust. I haven't even tried Windows 8, but what I read, it's going to be awesome!
    Yeah, and Vista looked good on paper too.......