Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1.    #1  

It's this kind of Love Hate, Up and Down, Rollercoaster of an obsession that we have for the tablet! People bag on it, but they just keep coming back for more!

Here I am on my Touchpad, brought back from the depths, my eyes still glued to the screen. And I'm just tip typing away. Into it like never before! After overclocking it to almost 2.0ghz and nearly losing my mind when it got bricked, I have discovered a new love for the Touchpad once again!

And it taught me a lesson, just think- What if your Touchpad broke right now? Whether it be getting it bricked or frying it or crashing it to no return. Where would you go? What would you do? It's hard out there looking for a good tablet.

I was dismayed by what's available right now on the market and have come to the conclusion that the Touchpad is indeed a valid player in the competition. And ranks my number 1. I don't know what I'd do without it. Gosh darn it- this is a GOOD tablet!

I had an epiphany.

The Touchpad will live on. I have no doubts. You can't deny that there's something about the Touchpad that is indeed Supernatural. As HP calls it.
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 09/15/2011 at 04:13 AM.
    Unfortunately, there are several times where a technically or arguably superior product lost in the market and went extinct. Hopefully this will not happen to the TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by vectre View Post
    Unfortunately, there are several times where a technically or arguably superior product lost in the market and went extinct. Hopefully this will not happen to the TouchPad.
    Amiga, OS/2, got any extinct dinosaurs for the list?
    I agree completely and thanks for the insight! Sorli...
    The Mullet, Gumby, and peanut butter and pickle sandwiches... Cool, cooler, yum.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Pre-CBS Fender Stratocasters (no, not THAT kind of "pre")

& just about any car built in the 50s or early 60s...
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    It's this kind of Love Hate, Up and Down, Rollercoaster of an obsession that we have for the tablet! People bag on it, but they just keep coming back for more!

It's hard out there looking for a good tablet.

I was dismayed by what's available right now on the market and have come to the conclusion that the Touchpad is indeed a valid player in the competition. And ranks my number 1. I don't know what I'd do without it. Gosh darn it- this is a GOOD tablet!

I had an epiphany.

The Touchpad will live on. I have no doubts. You can't deny that there's something about the Touchpad that is indeed Supernatural. As HP calls it.
    YES!!!
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    The OS is supernatural, not so much on the hardware parts.
    What would i do? I'd just go to my ipad2. That's where i'd go. For me the firesale 32 gb tp i picked up is just a backup ii can use when i'm charging my ipad. Sure the tp is great if youve never had an ipad. I do like the tp os and flash. But a new browser app just became available on the ipad that does flash. I'm not being an ipad ******. It just does so much more than the tp, but that is already known. I think those who are raving about the tp are newbies who have never exoerienced or owned another tablet, whether it be ios or one if the other os. Hopefully the homebrew people will get it closer to what a tablet like the tp really should be. Right now i'd say the tp is 40 percent there. Its hard to believe hp put it out with no rear facing camera and no hdmi out plus a lot more. I've had and have hp products that are superb like my hp laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post

Here I am on my Touchpad, brought back from the depths, my eyes still glued to the screen. And I'm just tip typing away. Into it like never before! After overclocking it to almost 2.0ghz and nearly losing my mind when it got bricked, I have discovered a new love for the Touchpad once again!

And it taught me a lesson, just think- What if your Touchpad broke right now? Whether it be getting it bricked or frying it or crashing it to no return. Where would you go? What would you do? It's hard out there looking for a good tablet.

I had an epiphany.

10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    What would i do? I'd just go to my ipad2. That's where i'd go. For me the firesale 32 gb tp i picked up is just a backup ii can use when i'm charging my ipad. Sure the tp is great if youve never had an ipad. I do like the tp os and flash. But a new browser app just became available on the ipad that does flash. I'm not being an ipad ******. It just does so much more than the tp, but that is already known. I think those who are raving about the tp are newbies who have never exoerienced or owned another tablet, whether it be ios or one if the other os. Hopefully the homebrew people will get it closer to what a tablet like the tp really should be. Right now i'd say the tp is 40 percent there. Its hard to believe hp put it out with no rear facing camera and no hdmi out plus a lot more. I've had and have hp products that are superb like my hp laptop.
    You have a point... I feel people are being backed into a corner with iOS though. Just because it's the only alternative out there. When I thought I was going to lose my Touchpad, the only other option would have been iPad. Not because I wanted it, but because I had to have a tablet. And the iPad 'would have to do'. It's expensive and doesn't interest me. Had the Touchpad been given a wealthy app store...I'm certain it would be the number one contender after a while. Could you imagine that?

It's not the number of apps that makes it. It's the number of useful apps that makes it.

With the Touchpad, you can run it oveclocked, you can run it regular. You can run custom apps, you can download regular apps. 40% there is just about right.

I've used the iPad, and for pretty much the same reason I prefer Windows over Mac..there is no be all end all.

I had the iPad, it felt kinda sharp on my hands, weight about as much as a Touchpad, I couldn't tell the difference. The form of the Touchpad is pretty snappy.

If you've walked around with a Touchpad, to any pedestrian, you will get complements.

And it's just that freedom that I like, this really inspired me.

And even still I have to say, the number one thing that boosts the Touchpads usefulness is real, true multitasking. It's unbeatable. I'm still amazed as I type this while listening to a Youtube video.
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 09/15/2011 at 03:12 AM.
    I have a friend that uses his ipad as a backup for his Xbox...so what's the point

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    hypertech likes this.
  12. uk1
    The protype name of OS/2 was WARP>

If it hadn't been for OS/2 then we would never had had Microsoft. Love them or hate them - but a lot of the cash it generated has gone to saving lives via the Gates Foundation. Now, if OS/2 had succeeded and heaven forbid IBM had recognised the value of software and bought MS, then all of those billions would have been p*ssed away. And of course the Gates cash attracted the Buffet cash.

So the extinction of OS/2 ("As user friendly as a cornered rabid dog ...........") has done the world no end of good!
    congrat for paying 600$ for a tablet...and comparing it to a 100$ tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by uk1 View Post
    The protype name of OS/2 was WARP>

If it hadn't been for OS/2 then we would never had had Microsoft. Love them or hate them - but a lot of the cash it generated has gone to saving lives via the Gates Foundation. Now, if OS/2 had succeeded and heaven forbid IBM had recognised the value of software and bought MS, then all of those billions would have been p*ssed away. And of course the Gates cash attracted the Buffet cash.

So the extinction of OS/2 ("As user friendly as a cornered rabid dog ...........") has done the world no end of good!
    Warp was the codename for OS/2 version 3.0. I ran that on my 486 computer and loved it. It even ran Windows apps in an emulator window pretty well.

I believe I read somewhere that a lot of the OS/2 code ended up as the core of Windows NT, which evolved into the Windows 7 that we all know and love. So in a way, OS/2 is still alive.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
    Beta format videotapes ... so much superior to VHS that TV newsrooms were still using them until fairly recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by hypertech View Post
    congrat for paying 600$ for a tablet...and comparing it to a 100$ tablet.
    if you can afford a ferrari would you buy a camry? First of all the the tp wasn't atound when the ipad1 wss introduced, it wasn't even around when the ipad2 was introduced, and when the tp was finally introduced just 2 months ago no one bought it because it cost as much as the ipad with half the value. So basically I AM comparing a 500 tablet against a 500 tablet that its company hp couldn't sell so thdy virtually gave it away.
    There's people still using their Amigas, or better said, extreme transformations of the original. It indeed was the best computer of its age, until Commodore killed it from the inside. Just like all superior technologies die.
  18. uk1
    Quote Originally Posted by untitled View Post
    Warp was the codename for OS/2 version 3.0. I ran that on my 486 computer and loved it. It even ran Windows apps in an emulator window pretty well.

I believe I read somewhere that a lot of the OS/2 code ended up as the core of Windows NT, which evolved into the Windows 7 that we all know and love. So in a way, OS/2 is still alive.

You ran it on a 486?! A 286 surely! Warp - OS/2 became the litigation issue between IBM and MS about who owned it. Guess who lost.

I ended up in the introduction of the PC business from the mainframe business via mini, but I am so old (well not that old .... ) that I remember when at the tail end of the life of the IBM 360 they upgraded our 360 from 8k to 16k and we all went to the pub to celebrate. This machine was a bureau machine which supported countless multinational customers who did their payrol, production planning, order entry .....

Does anyone out there today understand what an 8k cpu is?!
    I respectfully disagree. I have an iPad and tons of experience with it & the flash browser you are talking about is garbage, as a very large percentage of useful flash sites don't work. My wife is a teacher & tested this on educational flash tools that she wants for her classroom. No go on the iPad. We have an iPad 1, and real world experience with it (it was purchased a month after launch), it doesn't stack up. Well, I take that back, it does provide us with Words With Friends & a few other useful apps.

Bottom line, when we're just lounging, it's the TouchPads that get used. The iPad is picked up to complete a turn on WWF. Browsing, etc., & just about everything else...TouchPad. Different strokes I guess. Even my 2 & 3 year old kids gravitate towards the TouchPads...

My own personal video evidence that the TouchPad is NOT 40% of an iPad, take it for what it's worth to you:

iPad on tasks:

TouchPad on tasks:
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    hypertech likes this.
    Its hard to believe hp put it out with no rear facing camera and no hdmi out plus a lot more. I've had and have hp products that are superb like my hp laptop.
    It's hard to believe that Apple sold me an iPad with no rear camera & no HDMI out. Man, what are they thinking. *in good fun & I know the alternatives to use HDMI*
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    hypertech likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast