Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    Getting tired of these moments when the screen just locks up for 5 seconds or so. Seriously who would put out an OS that does this?
    zappcatt and paa79594 like this.
    Expand on freeze? I have had launch pauses but no 5 second freeze, what you doing at the time?

Barry
    Mine used to do that, but then I noticed that it stopped when I had to perform a wipe using the webOS doctor. Now it doesn't do it anymore. It might have been caused by a patch (I haven't reinstalled all of them). Anyway, just wanted to throw it out there that it doesn't seem to be consistent, and it might not be caused by the os.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmytvc15 View Post
    Getting tired of these moments when the screen just locks up for 5 seconds or so. Seriously who would put out an OS that does this?
    Do a reboot and see if it continues to happen. Also this could be caused by patches or any experimental Kernels if you have them installed.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Which webOS version are you running? It should be 3.0.2.
  6.    #6  
    it is 3.02. Its done this ever since I've had the tp, no patches or patches. Does on everything, browsing, apps you name it. Even when I type. Sometimes I'll type and then it freezes and after it unfreezes it will catch up on then typing. I've had this problem ever since I received. Just does it randomly but it happens at least 10 times a day if not more. Even with just the stock 3.02.
    it is 3.02. Its done this ever since I've had the tp, no patches or patches. Does on everything, browsing, apps you name it. Even when I type. Sometimes I'll type and then it freezes and after it unfreezes it will catch up on then typing. I've had this problem ever since I received. Just does it randomly but it happens at least 10 times a day if not more. Even with just the stock 3.02.
    You are not the only one... I am having the same problem... it does it randomly no matter what I am doing from Facebook to solitaire... and for about 5 seconds... it is a total PITA
    zappcatt likes this.
    This might not apply to your case, since I think you said you haven't added patches, etc. Have you reduced the data logging on your TP? I don't have one so I'm only remembering what I've read in some threads, but search these forums for discussions on turning off or reducing data logging on the TP. OK, back to my comment on experiences with iOS and webOS devices...which again, might not relate...but still could apply to others.

One of the pluses of iOS is that you don't see these kinds of freezes really. One way that Apple makes sure you have a great OS experience is they don't let you tinker with things, tweak certain things to a way you like better. Depending on your point of view, this is also one of the minuses of iOS, the inability to make modifications to the way the OS operates.

One of the pluses of webOS is that the ability to modify, tweak, upgrade, add new features, etc. to the way the OS operates is not only allowed by Palm/HP (no jailbreaking needed), it is pretty easy, pretty workable, pretty safe, and there is a whole lively community of homebrew developers and Preware guru's to make it so. Of course, depending on your point of view, and your comfort with unexpected hiccups and the occasional evacuation of the contents of your proverbial 'stomach', this ability to modify, tweak, upgrade, add new features, etc., might be a minus for you.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I'm not sure it's the tweaking. I've opened and tweaked a few touchpads to give to relatives and they're not all the same. I've noticed the short freezing on a few but not on others. The latest one was right after applying the doctor with nothing added but that freezing improved after applying patches.

I'm tempted to say that not all Touchpads are created equal.
  10.    #10  
    I'm so use to it that every time it happens now I just sigh.
    zappcatt likes this.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    The main times I see an occasional pause occur is when one of my multiple IMAP email accounts is receiving new email. Even if the email app is closed, it's still receiving email. The pause isnít several seconds long, perhaps a couple.

Same thing has happened whenever I have multiple apps running which access the internet for updates. It's usually noticeable when I'm maxing out the processor.
    War Eagle!
    yes- I can add this idiosyncratic behaviour to my list of annoying 'features' on my TP too - along with a complete inability to index or display media, cracked chassis, flaky wifi connection, poor image viewer (when working), no ad hoc wifi support etc....

On my 4th complete wipe and re-install and my fingers are numb from the number of hard resets i've had to do!

Yes, I'm lovin' my Beta TP too
    zappcatt likes this.
    This happened to me the other day. My TP seemed to totally freeze nothing would respond. then after 5-6 seconds every thing would work fine, and then it did it again, and again.
    I have my TP overclocked to 1.8, I put it to 1.7 and noticed govna could not save the profile. so I uninstalled govna. rebooted, re installed, set TP to 1.7 and saved the profile. Now my TP is not locking up and also seems allot faster at doing things. Hope it stays this way.
    zappcatt likes this.
    Put it up on craigslist. There will be tons of hungry wolves ready to devour it.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    This used to happen to me too (running 3.0.2), but after installing the Muffle System Logging patch it hasn't happened again.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Put it up on craigslist. There will be tons of hungry wolves ready to devour it.
    oh I like it, but you got to admit it does have its annoyances. Its really hard to get upset at something like this when it was only $99 but if I had paid full price I would have a cow.
    Add Apple and Google to the list of companies whose software freezes. This happened to me yesterday while going to the settings on my gf's iPad 2. I would agree it happens on the TP more for sure.
    I also have experienced this lag. It may not be 5-6 seconds but it gets pretty annoying. Whenever it happened, I reminded myself how much I paid for this. It made me feel better.

I'm not sure what I changed but recently I have not really experienced this lag. I am OC'd to 1.5 with all the usual patches. The "lag" I notice lately are like small hiccups, 1/2 second lags.
    Did you guys do the set logging to minimum thing? I forget the details but it's one of the first things I did, apparently by default the touchpad does a crazy level of logging and that helped me a lot. I had also done the muffle system logging patch but ended up having to remove that for various reasons. Note here is a way to do that. The directions I had were to do this through skype but sounds like this works as well.
    Last edited by texasflood; 09/14/2011 at 06:36 PM.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Did you guys do the set logging to minimum thing? I forget the details but it's one of the first things I did, apparently by default the touchpad does a crazy level of logging and that helped me a lot. I had also done the muffle system logging patch but ended up having to remove that for various reasons. Note here is a way to do that. The directions I had were to do this through skype but sounds like this works as well.
    yep done all of that. I don't think it matters what you do its always gonna have occasional freezes. Don't matter if you have patches installed or not. I think the problem is in the OS.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast