1.    #1  
    To put things in perspective...

Report on tablet growth shows market is ripe for iPad competitor

IDC says that Apple's share of the global tablet market was 68.3 percent during the second quarter of 2011, up from 65.7 percent in the previous quarter. RIM entered the market during the second quarter as well, placing its initial market share at 4.9 percent with the PlayBook. Android-based tablets, which previously held 34 percent of the market during the first quarter of the year, fell to 26.8 percent in the second quarter.

The firm expects Android to continue dropping throughout the third quarter of the year, thanks in large part to the $99 TouchPads that have flooded the market in the wake of HP's ditching of webOS, before recovering a bit in the fourth quarter. (HP is expected to make a one-time appearance on the charts at 4.7 percent during the third quarter of 2011.)
    I look at it this way....

All these people buying tablets are closet Star Trek: Next Generation fans finally able to live their dream in a small way.
    It's Star Wars buddy.
    How does the Playbook have 4.9 with its crappy sales and the TouchPad would only get up to 4.7 with the firesale units that were sold? And how is Android around 26 when apparently the Touchpad had surpassed it with ad revenues?

I'm confused
    Quote Originally Posted by Titano View Post
    How does the Playbook have 4.9 with its crappy sales and the TouchPad would only get up to 4.7 with the firesale units that were sold? And how is Android around 26 when apparently the Touchpad had surpassed it with ad revenues?

I'm confused
    yeah, this can't be correct. If the playbook was a one time order of 500k units and the tp sold 800-900k, and all of the playbooks are definately not sold-however all the tpads are....
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Theonlyix View Post
    yeah, this can't be correct. If the playbook was a one time order of 500k units and the tp sold 800-900k, and all of the playbooks are definately not sold-however all the tpads are....
    I believe IDC is using numbers shipped, not sold. Remember, this is also just the 2nd quarter. Taking TouchPad shipments into account, they are speculating that that will amount to 4.7% in the 3rd quarter.

I think this is what's going to scare people away from taking the time to develop for webOS.

From the original report:

Looking forward to the second half of 2011, IDC expects Android to cede additional market share in 3Q11 (dropping to 23%) before it starts growing its share again in 4Q11 (increasing to 25.9%) and beyond. In addition to continued demand for Apple iPads, IDC expects many consumers who were on the fence about buying a media tablet to scoop up $99 TouchPads as a result of HP’s decision to end production of its tablet product. IDC expects close to a million TouchPads to ship into the channel before the end of the year. As a result, WebOS’s worldwide market share is forecast to reach 4.7% in 3Q11. However, with no clear plan to license or sell the OS to other vendors, IDC expects the WebOS market share to shrink back to zero by 1Q12.
    http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/14/idc-ta...ndroid-slides/
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    It's Star Wars buddy.
    I'm sure he's thinking of the PAD from Star Trek. I don't remember anything like a tablet in Star Wars.