Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I posted this in a thread in the webOS app section but I'm afraid it will get lost in all the non-TouchPad news. Really this question is specific to TouchPad so I think I should post it here instead.

Here's my situation:

My wife and I each have a Touchpad. When I got the Touchpads, I created her a WebOS account, and I created a separate one for me. As I consider buying paid apps, it occurs to me that perhaps this hasn't been a wise decision -- I now have to buy each application twice, if I want them on both TouchPads. I am considering wiping hers clean and putting my HP WebOS account on both Touchpads.

I would like to ask people's advice in this situation. Please focus on Pro's and Con's.

So far this is what I understand:

Pro:

Can buy each app once instead of twice. (Is it easy to load previously purchased apps on a second TouchPad?)

Con:

If I use a backup utility, it might not be able to preserve the settings from both TouchPads. (On a separate note, I'm not even sure how to backup anyways...)

Any other points I should consider? Is there an official HP policy on multiple TouchPads using the same WebOS account?

Another scenario: My retired parents now each have a TouchPad. They will probably use their TouchPads to play games and read books; nothing really heavy I wouldn't think. Does this situation warrant a different answer than the above?

Thanks all in advance for any advice you can offer.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    As long as both TP's have different names, but are on the same webOS account, they will be backed up separately and will have their own unique identities. There isn't any downside that I can think of to using the same webOS account.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    But if enemy ninjas find one, they'll know everything!
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    I didn't know you could even have two pads on the same account.
    Quote Originally Posted by MincerRay View Post
    As long as both TP's have different names, but are on the same webOS account, they will be backed up separately and will have their own unique identities. There isn't any downside that I can think of to using the same webOS account.
    So in Settings, under Accounts, the Name should be different, but they must have the same email address and password for WebOS.

Can they then have separate "Synergy Accounts", i.e. different email addresses here?
    I'm so confused. I know when you log into a TP for the first time it "registers" the unit with HP, I'm wondering if you would only show one pad this way, or what.
    I have two TouchPads, same account, different device names. I've doctored one twice since owning two, with no adverse affects.

They have completely different email, facebook accounts set up and I haven't seen any problems with our contacts/pictures getting mixed up.

When you log into the Palm Profile webpage, they are separated by their names and serial numbers.
    So in Settings, under Accounts, the Name should be different, but they must have the same email address and password for WebOS.

Can they then have separate "Synergy Accounts", i.e. different email addresses here?
    They can have different accounts no problem ... However you should realize that the backup app will save the accounts of the last one backed up... No big deal.. Just letting you know

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I have 2 touchpads and a pre 2 on the same webOS profile -- i have not doctored a touchpad to know how the backup will work but i gave each one a different name and so far everthing is working well. if i go to the webOS site and look at my account it shows both touchpads with the seperate identifying name. -- and to anyone that says this is unfair to DEV's i don't know how to answer -- i use one touch pad for myself and the other is kind of a family one -- i have purchased different kinds of Apps for each one -- games for the kids utilities for me but have installed on both units so the short of it is the devs are only getting one purchase per app for me but i am buying more diverse apps then i would otherwise
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post

Yup - that is correct. They each have their own identities with separate synergy settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    I have 2 touchpads and a pre 2 on the same webOS profile -- i have not doctored a touchpad to know how the backup will work but i gave each one a different name and so far everthing is working well. if i go to the webOS site and look at my account it shows both touchpads with the seperate identifying name. -- and to anyone that says this is unfair to DEV's i don't know how to answer -- i use one touch pad for myself and the other is kind of a family one -- i have purchased different kinds of Apps for each one -- games for the kids utilities for me but have installed on both units so the short of it is the devs are only getting one purchase per app for me but i am buying more diverse apps then i would otherwise
    That seems fair if it's for family use. I intend to try the same for my other TP.

Do you have to doctor the TP to back it up? I thought backup was automatic for the HP apps and settings, and would duplicate on another TP with same webOS profile.
    Have you tried save/restore for preware apps and settings? I'm wondering if this duplicates overclocking settings, etc on the 2nd TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    They can have different accounts no problem ... However you should realize that the backup app will save the accounts of the last one backed up... No big deal.. Just letting you know

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    How do you mean? You're saying the backup doesn't save a separate backup account list for each device?
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I'm giving my dad a TP. He lives in canada. I'm in USA. Can I register both our pads to my web OS account and be able to share apps between us like you can both living in USA? Also other than some apps like pandora not working in canada are there any other limitations? Will he be able to use the HP app store?
  14.    #14  
    Thanks a lot for all the good insight everyone. It really looks like I don't see a downside to sharing the account in the way I described. And to the person who recommended the Palm WebOS management page, thanks for that! I didn't realize such a page existed. Looks like I'm in for a wipe and rebuild on my wife's TouchPad sometime soon...

To leif, I'm not really sure how this works. I feel pretty confident you'll have no problems registering the pads to the webos account and sharing initially. the only thing I'd be concerned about is once you send it to him, his IP may log as coming from Canada. Not sure if HP does the enforcement based on IP, based on registration information, or something else.
    https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface is the address for your palm profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    But if enemy ninjas find one, they'll know everything!
    Unlock Code > Ninjas!
    I am glad I have come across this thread. I have the same situation. I have 2 Touchpads. One for me and one for my wife. I would like to share my apps with her without having to pay extra.

Since she has registered her TP under her own name and account, I would like to know how to "deregister" her account and use my account on her TP.

Under Device Info I see reset options-->X Erase

Will a Full Erase make the Touchpad a new system requiring registration?

Thanks.

m-
    *UPDATE*

Two Touchpads can be placed under one WebOS account. The steps are what I did for a US Touchpad.

Touchpad 1 - mine
    Touchpad 2 - wife's

Logged into wife's WebOs account using this link:
    https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface

After logging into the account I clicked on device options. Under device options I unregistered the Touchpad.

As soon as I did that, the Touchpad gave me a notice that it needed to be restarted. Once it restarted (took a while), the device was like "new". I needed to select language and location. When prompted to login or create a WebOs account, I logged into the Touchpad 2 with my account info and it asked if I wanted to sync and name the device.

After it was done, my paid apps were loaded onto Touchpad 2.

If you are wondering what happens if you pay for an app on Touchpad 1 and go to the store with Touchpad 2...? Touchpad 2 will show the app as free.

Hopefully this clears up this issue.

m-
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    hey thanks for the great info just done that.
    but I guess before you do it remove uberkernal. as after I deactivated the device and got it all back I had to reinstall preware and all the patches I loaded. thought uberkernal was gone and went to reinstall and it would not and there was no remove. so did governah again and uber was still there and set to 1.5. so far no issues but I am thinking of doing a full erase and restarting just to make sure there will be no issues.
    thanks again
    *UPDATE x2*

After reading jack90125's post and attempting to reload Preware onto my Touchpad 2, I ran into the problem where Preware would load, but no patches would. I did a full erase to see if that would help and things got worse. I was not able to load Preware at all. So there are 2 ways of doing 2 Touchpads one WebOS account (there is a pun there I can tell). I could verify this because my advance reset option was still loaded even after the full erase.

Method 1
    If touchpads are completely stock (no homebrew), then you can just unregister the Touchpad and login under a the account you want.

Method 2
    If the Touchpad has homebrew installed, you will need to WebOS Doctor it to make it completely "stock/factory defaults". As follows:

1. WebOS Doctor the TP (complete factory defaults)
    2. Login to TP with account
    3. SKIP backup
    4. Let Touchpad reboot

After the Touchpad reboots, the software manager will automatically update all purchased apps. This takes awhile depending on what apps you have purchased.

Hope this helps.

m-
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast