Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Bacstar
  • 1 Post By Bacstar
  1.    #1  
    Well, I finally cut the umbilical cord this week on the iPad and sold it off to a buddy. Once I converted all my databases into the TP and got the Pre 3, there was nothing tying me to the iPad any longer

Now to find a buyer for the iPhone 4... talk about feeling free again
    You're crazy, so very crazy! Just kidding :P

I can't do that though, I love my iPad too much.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    yeah, wow, i love my iphone 4, and cant wait for the iphone 5, but the ipad to touchpad, id rather have the touchpad cause its easier to load movies, which is what i use it for mostly, browsing and email as well, but movies more so.
    Awesome... in a similar story, I was looking at Pre2's on ebay. The seller didn't have a lot of feedback, but with the folks picking up firesale stuff I've seen lots of these, and he had multiple Pre2's for sale. So I go to check his recent feedback and he had sold another Pre2 with good feedback recently, next item under that was a used iPad... Made me chuckle thinking he must have got a firesale TP too and kept that and gave up the iPad.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  5.    #5  
    Yeah... I know what you mean. I've been mulling this decision for the last few weeks, but I really didn't need it anymore. TP took care of what I was using the iPad for, and the TP was easier to deal with. iPad was just such a chore too. I was never really happy with it when I first bought it. Apple was just lucky enough to release the first real tablet
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacstar View Post
    Yeah... I know what you mean. I've been mulling this decision for the last few weeks, but I really didn't need it anymore. TP took care of what I was using the iPad for, and the TP was easier to deal with. iPad was just such a chore too. I was never really happy with it when I first bought it. Apple was just lucky enough to release the first real tablet
    It's funny that you mention iPad and "chore" in the same sustenance, as that is just the opposite of what Apple desires. But you are so right. I know a school that just ordered 5 Asus Eee Pad Transformers because of how quickly they can get up and running. And that they didn't need to load iTunes on every computer.

I don't want to dump my iPad 1 totally yet, although it doesn't get much use lately. I don't know why I'm hanging onto it actually, the browsing is so much better and faster with the TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by ac921ol View Post
    yeah, wow, i love my iphone 4, and cant wait for the iphone 5, but the ipad to touchpad, id rather have the touchpad cause its easier to load movies, which is what i use it for mostly, browsing and email as well, but movies more so.
    Wow! This is nice to hear. It seems like a lot of folks have complained that it is very difficult to get TP to play videos and here you are saying it's better than the iPad. Glad to know this.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

8.    #8  
    iPad was the biggest pain in the rear to get videos playing on. It's great if everything was in the format apple supports, but anything else required an app. Then when an app was released it would violate some apple policy, so was pulled from the store. Air Video was a blessing but still I just gave up, and bought a really small laptop for trips.
    iPad was the biggest pain in the rear to get videos playing on. It's great if everything was in the format apple supports, but anything else required an app. Then when an app was released it would violate some apple policy, so was pulled from the store. Air Video was a blessing but still I just gave up, and bought a really small laptop for trips.
    We do have an ipad and it seemed much easier to me for video. Itunes does take time with the tagging though. But there's also air video like you mentioned, vlc streamer, netflix, hulu plus, hbo, cinemax, slingplayer, and all these other apps that need authentication like TBS.

What i do like about the touchpad vs ipad, is the sound combined with touchstone.
    iPad was the biggest pain in the rear to get videos playing on. It's great if everything was in the format apple supports, but anything else required an app.
    You can say the same thing for the TouchPad :P It basically has the same limited video support, so you have to go with Kalemsoft's video player or the free TouchPlayer to play videos that the TouchPad doesn't natively support. I mean, if those work well for you, that's great. But in all honesty, I've had quite a few problems with those players that I don't find it worth it to even try and watch videos on it since I have an iPad that plays all my videos perfectly.

Obviously your experience, my experience, and everyone else's experience is different. I just wanted to say that I don't think you should really look down on the iPad because Apple doesn't support all video formats when the TouchPad is basically the exact same.

Then when an app was released it would violate some apple policy, so was pulled from the store. Air Video was a blessing but still I just gave up, and bought a really small laptop for trips.
    To my knowledge, the free VLC Player was the only one that got pulled from the App Store. All the other video players (GoodPlayer, Buzz Player, OPlayer, AVPlayer, CineXPlayer, and the many more that are most likely out there) are all in the App Store and don't seem to have had any problems with Apple.

And if you are referring to the demise of the free VLC app, then you should know that Apple had nothing to do with its removal. click
    Wait, you are in Anchorage AK and got a Pre3? what carrier and how did you get it? I would love to buy one
  12.    #12  
    When VLC player was pulled was the last video viewing app I tried when I gave up looking at videos on the iPad, so I don't know what the situation is like now. I just I got sick of using iTunes for transferring files onto my iPad. I ended up buying DiskAid that made the whole process much easier. My biggest beef with iPad is nothing is easy in respect to what I am used to being a Windows user. I had to find a bunch of work arounds to get the iPad to the level I'm used to.

Don't get me started now on DRM'd movies, especially digital downloads available on Blu-rays. I got a bunch sitting in my iTunes folder I can't play anymore when I did a Windows 7 reinstall at the beginning of the year. Arggghhh...

With the TP, I only needed the Kalemsoft app, and so far it's working on everything I have now without re-encoding. I couldn't say the same for VLC player and CineX Player. It was hit or miss. Some would decode without Audio, just lock up, or various number of different issues.
    Last edited by Bacstar; 09/14/2011 at 06:06 PM.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by provost View Post
    Wait, you are in Anchorage AK and got a Pre3? what carrier and how did you get it? I would love to buy one
    hehehe...well...I was following the Pre 3 Stock thread and spent a bundle of money on one from the UK. I got friends who think I'm pretty insane right now.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ac921ol View Post
    What is the easiest and best way to watch videos? I tried handbreak but it didn't work.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterjoy931 View Post
    What is the easiest and best way to watch videos? I tried handbreak but it didn't work.
    I've been using a couple video converters, but I'm at work right now. The names I can't remember off the top of my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterjoy931 View Post
    Handbrake worked like a charm for me, of course I was ripping from DVD since the only video files I had were DRM'd digital downloads that do me no good.

Did you use the TouchPad configuration that was posted here?
    I did; it took over 2 hours to copy the DVD (Iron man1). I'm hoping I did something wrong and that it normally doesn't take that long. Plus it didn't work.