Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    I spoke to tech support and was told that hp WILL NOT support or replace tp batteries after one year warranty expires. In other words he said unless a third party steps forward with service and support and parts if our battery dies after a year the tp we own will be useless. He said it was nit known how long the batteries in the tp wil last and the battery was a "last minute decision" ugh!
  2. #2  
    wth? Come on HP that quick killing your hardware!
  3. #3  
    Based on what I've read so far, HP has shipped/sold around 800,000 Touchpads,
    with another 200,000 going into the last production run soon.

    That's ONE MILLION Touchpads. Compared to the iPads, which will reach 51 million
    units by the end of next qurater, it's a very tiny number.

    However, 1 million is still a lot of people. I'm sure a third-party company will
    no doubt see the potential for profits in providing repair service and battery
    replacement.

    Last year, my iPod Classic's battery died and the warranty had expired. I found
    a company that sold replacement batteries. They will replace it for you for a fee,
    but I decided to give it a go. I ordered the extended battery for $10 more. In
    addition, I couldn't resist the temptation and also ordered a 240GB hard drive
    upgrade! They threw in a small took kit for free. It was scary at first, as I've
    never cracked opened an iPod before. However, it turned out to be relatively
    easy and I managed to complete the upgrade in just one hour. I ended up with
    a 240GB iPod Classic with an extended battery. It lasted 6 more hours than
    the stock battery(when new). The 240GB hard drive held all my music and
    videos with 20GB to spare. After a few months, I sold it to a friend. It's
    still working fine, according to her.

    The Touchpad can't be that much harder to crack open than an iPod. The
    only problem is finding where to buy a replacement battery. It's only a matter
    of time before someone comes out with it.(propabaly sourced from a factory
    in China where anything is possible )
    fwinst, sledge007 and vella_ like this.
  4. #4  
    Installing HP TouchPad Battery - iFixit

    Unless your battery fails for some reason, you'll probably be moving on to another device within 2 years anyway.
  5. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #5  
    Why would anyone expect them to replace batteries on out of warranty devices?
    DS_Palm_Lvr likes this.
  6. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #6  
    Hell, how many of us replace batteries on MP3/iPods vs. getting the latest and greatest. I hate to say it, but in two years I'll likely have an iPad4 or 5 and some sort of linux tablet to temper the pain of no webOS.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Why would anyone expect them to replace batteries on out of warranty devices?
    +1
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  8. #8  
    Even if HP sold 800k unit or 1 million, it doesn't translate to 1 million people owned the TP. Matter of fact, I know a guy who bought 3 TP. He is trying to sell on on craigslist but he is greedy, he doesn't lower his price on it. And second one, he is using it as picture frame. One he uses it in the bathroom reader. And if you read some of the post here, you will find tons of people bought more than 1 tp. And from slicksdeal, you will find tons of people who bought 2 for themselves. I am not sure if they are planning to sell it or keep it as their backup.
    letstalk likes this.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    Installing HP TouchPad Battery - iFixit

    Unless your battery fails for some reason, you'll probably be moving on to another device within 2 years anyway.
    Probably not unless one of the following unlikely things happens:

    1. Email standards change and email as we know it doesn't work
    2. Web site standards change and a majority of websites that work in browsers today won't work in two years (we still have websites working in IE6 from how many years ago?)
    3. The mp3 format not only dies and can no longer be played on a Touchpad (impossible)
    4. A new video codec comes out that replaces all existing video codecs and somehow forces them to be incompatible with Touchpads.
    5. There is a change in the world's calendar system (is that Julian?) and a patch can't be made to make it work on the TouchPad.

    In short, a TouchPad hits all the basic computer functionality that people use the most and looks to continue to well not just for the next 2 years, but probably the next 5-7 years.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Why would anyone expect them to replace batteries on out of warranty devices?
    Thats not the point. The point IS there might not ever be ANY batteries for replacement whuch means the tp when the battery dies is dead.
  11. xpl
    xpl is offline
    xpl's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    #11  
    Im pretty sure the the there will be chinese clones.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    Probably not unless one of the following unlikely things happens:

    1. Email standards change and email as we know it doesn't work
    2. Web site standards change and a majority of websites that work in browsers today won't work in two years (we still have websites working in IE6 from how many years ago?)
    3. The mp3 format not only dies and can no longer be played on a Touchpad (impossible)
    4. A new video codec comes out that replaces all existing video codecs and somehow forces them to be incompatible with Touchpads.
    5. There is a change in the world's calendar system (is that Julian?) and a patch can't be made to make it work on the TouchPad.

    In short, a TouchPad hits all the basic computer functionality that people use the most and looks to continue to well not just for the next 2 years, but probably the next 5-7 years.
    I didn't say it would no longer work. Most people are going to get another device, that's all there is to it. For 95% of people (number out my ***), their TouchPad will be replaced with the latest and greatest.

    edit: I should add that a number of purchasers will find that they have no need for a tablet to begin with. So, those people probably won't be buying anything else.
    Last edited by beardedspoooon; 09/14/2011 at 10:35 AM.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Why would anyone expect them to replace batteries on out of warranty devices?
    I think you didn't get it. I don't expect HP to replace my battery for free after warranty expired! I just expect them to still support the hardware after my battery die in a year at least 2 years if you know what I mean. So I won't have to go to third party to get it replace.
  14. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
    I think you didn't get it. I don't expect HP to replace my battery for free after warranty expired! I just expect them to still support the hardware after my battery die in a year at least 2 years if you know what I mean. So I won't have to go to third party to get it replace.
    I get it fine, leaving aside the warranty issue, the Touch-pad is not intended to be opened by the user, that's why it is a sealed unit. Now that does suck when the battery dies but that's what it is and why they aren't going to be supporting or selling batteries. Even if they didn't kill the touch-pad, they were never going to be selling batteries for it.

    You were always going to have to restore to third party solutions - I mean do amazon or apple directly sell batteries for the Kindle or the ipad to consumers? Do any of the makers of sealed tablet devices?
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I get it fine, leaving aside the warranty issue, the Touch-pad is not intended to be opened by the user, that's why it is a sealed unit. Now that does suck when the battery dies but that's what it is and why they aren't going to be supporting or selling batteries. Even if they didn't kill the touch-pad, they were never going to be selling batteries for it.

    You were always going to have to restore to third party solutions - I mean do amazon or apple directly sell batteries for the Kindle or the ipad to consumers? Do any of the makers of sealed tablet devices?
    Well Apple does sell battery for their iDevices it just a bit different than everyone else. However, they will just give u a refurbished unit plus $80 bucks on your side. I got my iPhones and iPods battery replaced by Apple for $80 aka swap to a new refurbished.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
    Well Apple does sell battery for their iDevices it just a bit different than everyone else. However, they will just give u a refurbished unit plus $80 bucks on your side. I got my iPhones and iPods battery replaced by Apple for $80 aka swap to a new refurbished.
    Well, Apple is still in the phone/PMP business.
  17. kenmitch's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #17  
    Bought mine at Samsclub and opted for product replacement warranty for $9.72. Worst case scenario is I get my money back. Of course that's if it dies during coverage time. Figure if it dies after warranty is up it works out to a couple bucks a month I paid to play with it
    ap3604 likes this.
  18. #18  
    I can't think who in their right mind would pay HPs price for a replacement battery anyway. If and when your battery fails, buy one on fleabay and replace it yourself, I don't think it's going to be something that was only ever used in TPs so you'll be able to find one.
  19. #19  
    Can you provide the link for the place you ordered your iPod battery from. I have a 80gb iPod classic, and the battery is not lasting as long as it used to. I will probably want to install an extended battery as well.

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by roundruler View Post
    Based on what I've read so far, HP has shipped/sold around 800,000 Touchpads,
    with another 200,000 going into the last production run soon.

    That's ONE MILLION Touchpads. Compared to the iPads, which will reach 51 million
    units by the end of next qurater, it's a very tiny number.

    However, 1 million is still a lot of people. I'm sure a third-party company will
    no doubt see the potential for profits in providing repair service and battery
    replacement.

    Last year, my iPod Classic's battery died and the warranty had expired. I found
    a company that sold replacement batteries. They will replace it for you for a fee,
    but I decided to give it a go. I ordered the extended battery for $10 more. In
    addition, I couldn't resist the temptation and also ordered a 240GB hard drive
    upgrade! They threw in a small took kit for free. It was scary at first, as I've
    never cracked opened an iPod before. However, it turned out to be relatively
    easy and I managed to complete the upgrade in just one hour. I ended up with
    a 240GB iPod Classic with an extended battery. It lasted 6 more hours than
    the stock battery(when new). The 240GB hard drive held all my music and
    videos with 20GB to spare. After a few months, I sold it to a friend. It's
    still working fine, according to her.

    The Touchpad can't be that much harder to crack open than an iPod. The
    only problem is finding where to buy a replacement battery. It's only a matter
    of time before someone comes out with it.(propabaly sourced from a factory
    in China where anything is possible )
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Can you provide the link for the place you ordered your iPod battery from. I have a 80gb iPod classic, and the battery is not lasting as long as it used to. I will probably want to install an extended battery as well.

    Thanks
    the company is called pdasmart.com.

    they have many upgrades/replacement parts for iPods and other gadgets.

    Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions