View Poll Results: Firesale Owners, Do You Have Cracks in Your TouchPad Already?

Voters
475. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

146 30.74%
  • No

300 63.16%
  • I don't have any cracks, because I don't have a TouchPad. #FirstWorldPains

29 6.11%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Does HP (UK) repair these under warrantee?

If I have to pay, I'd rather fix it myself. The trouble is, I can't reach them to find out.

EDIT:

Sending photo of the crack to qenglishfax@next.com.ar

Let's see what they say...
    Last edited by RedMist; 10/25/2011 at 10:15 AM.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    I used superglue. I hope they will still honor the warranty if I have other problems.

just realized how cheap they went with the plastic. The volume rocker is the same size as the speakers for a reason... And I just noticed the blank cut out filled with the piece of plastic. Luckily it's always in the case, otherwise the light leakage would **** me off!
    My Firesale TP was changed after I chatted/called with the support about the "glass-gap" problem and the crack near the speaker. so my 2nd TP has cracked too -.- very fine cracks, but you can see it.
    I don't want to send it in, because I'm happy there isn't a gap between glass and case anymore.
    ps: I'm using a silicone case.
    I got mine the first day of the firesale and had it in a case as soon as I took it out of the box. I saw this thread a week ago and didn't see any cracks. I looked last night and noticed that I had a crack next to each speaker. I was so ****ed. I have another one that my wife uses. I'll have to look to see if her's is doing it too.
    got mine the 18th, no cracks as of yet
    No cracks on my firesale 16GB TouchPad, purchased on 8/20.

Of course, my 32GB pre-firesale (received 7/15) has the speaker crack, FWIW.
  7. Bo
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    don't have cracks in either of my firesell 16GB TPs but do have one on my 32GB TP I picked up at Costco on 7/31.
  8.    #88  
    I'm sad to say, that after a little less than 2 months, I now have a crack by one of the speakers. The second speaker looks like it has a few hair line cracks as well.

I'm disappointed, I take good care of all my gadgets. I slipped this bad boy in the case the second I took it out the box, and have never dropped it. Oh well, I guess with this thing being made of plastic, it was only a matter of time.
    I posted in this thread about 2 months ago, but I'll post again :P I still have no cracks despite not being kind - hitting the touchpad against desks, walls, etc accidentally, taking it to school and home in my bag.

All without a case. Obviously my TouchPad has strong plastic
    SmartFah likes this.
  10.    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by Time View Post
    I posted in this thread about 2 months ago, but I'll post again :P I still have no cracks despite not being kind - hitting the touchpad against desks, walls, etc accidentally, taking it to school and home in my bag.

All without a case. Obviously my TouchPad has strong plastic
    That's good to know. Maybe I just got one from a bad batch. It seems like most people who answered the poll so far have been crack free.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Unfortunately mine got worse so UPS are coming tomorrow to pick it up for repair. Warranty process was relatively painless.
    These numbers haven't changed much since I last looked. On par with HP's 30% failure rate within the first year, or whatever those Squaretrade stats indicate. Although, unless the crack is terribly bad or you are overly OCD, not sure this would quality as a failure. Hope you guys get your cracks fixed!
    Pros: The pills were there.
    Cons: So was the tank.
    No cracks, no problems (except self-caused :-) ).

I believe there are good and 'bad' batches, just like 'they' say not to buy a car built on a Monday... :-)

Guess that those of us that got 'good' batches were lucky.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    never used the speakers, never dropped, always treated liked my baby, but I just found a crack developed...:'(
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xninjagrrl View Post
    These numbers haven't changed much since I last looked. On par with HP's 30% failure rate within the first year, or whatever those Squaretrade stats indicate. Although, unless the crack is terribly bad or you are overly OCD, not sure this would quality as a failure. Hope you guys get your cracks fixed!
    the poll numbers are close to 50%...
    not quality....
    Quote Originally Posted by oglerb View Post
    the poll numbers are close to 50%...
    not quality....
    Agreed, not quality - at all.

But the 'cracked' numbers are just under 30%, just like the previous poster stated.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Yeah, have cracks on mine after about a week. Talking to HP now. Think I'll do the dumb thing and pay the $29 for a rush repair. It's ridiculous but I won't want to be without for three weeks. Might just throw the repaired one on ebay...Transformer Prime looks slick and honestly Ice Cream Sandwich fixes a lot of what I dislike about Android. I just dunno...
    two small cracks on mine. they don't seem to be getting worse, so not doing anything yet. one extends down from a speaker. the other extends down from the usb/charge port. about 1/4" each. i guess the good news is they're extending down and not up to the glass. hp is not sending out new replacements. they are sending refurbished. i decided to just go with the free case and hope they don't get worse.
    Last edited by wiloturf; 12/17/2011 at 07:19 AM. Reason: update
    Put me down in the cracked department. 2 of my 3 touchpads are cracked.

Honestly, based on the design I'd say it's not a matter of IF, but rather WHEN. The touchpad will crack, in or out of a case, babied or not.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    None for me on 2, 16 GB fire sale Touchpads !
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast