View Poll Results: Firesale Owners, Do You Have Cracks in Your TouchPad Already?

Voters
475. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

146 30.74%
  • No

300 63.16%
  • I don't have any cracks, because I don't have a TouchPad. #FirstWorldPains

29 6.11%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Or it is only those owners with KIDS?

Only kidding!

Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    2 of my 3 TPs have cracks. Mine has 2 cracks on the corners of the right speaker (speakers down)and 1 on the left. My kids has 2 cracks on the left speaker corners and one in the middle of the right. My wifes TP gets used much less than the other 2 and so far no cracks. All my TPs have been in a HP case out of the box.
    My theory is that because some games and apps only orient themselves with the speakers down, that when holding it naturally this way causes your hands to press inward and since the speaker holes are naturally weaker than the surrounding casing, the stress fracture.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    No!
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Yes, corner of speaker nearest to the camera. Plastic seems too thin there, but it's not affecting the overall structural integrity of the TP.

Sent from my DROIDX
    nope just fine here with the original HP case
    sent from my HP Touchpad OR AmigaOne X1000
    AmigaOS lives !
    Mine has a crack near the speaker a well as glass separation by the home button.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    No cracks here. Have had it for a week. Loving it.
    i got the prepaid packaging in today, i'll be sending mine back in the morning. i hope i dont have to wait too long. ive been finding myself using it more than i thought i would. i got a pre on launch day, had the pre for 2 years and NEVER had any cracks on any of them (had other issues though).
  9.    #69  
    I've had mine for almost a month now & it's still crack free. Soon as I took the TP out of it's plastic, I slipped it straight into the HP folio case. Hopefully that will continue to keep it crack free.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Got my touchpad in the fire sale and just noticed what seems to be a hairline crack next to the left speaker. :-(

not that bothered about it as it is but if it gets any worse I might need to complain to HP about it.
    No cracks here, I was a firesale buyer and my toddler uses my 16gb more than I do. She threw it a few feet onto a hardwood floor the other day, still no crack. Lucky I guess, but she does love her music videos through it, when it quit she tossed it, lol. I still let her use it against my better judgement. If I didn't she would just yell at me lol, kids these days. 18 months old and a tablet owner, if only I had it this way when I was a kid.
    No cracks on mine. I use it a lot, and my brother gets over excited with the hockey app and I've help it down pretty tight to avoid it being pushed. Also have a third-party case on it and have dropped it a couple of times. I also only use the HP charger, no touchstone. I oc it sometimes but generally keep it at stock clocks.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xninjagrrl View Post
    Wow, so if these results are indicative of anything real, then over 26% of TP's come pre-cracked or experience cracks within a few weeks of ownership? I bet if we totaled these stats with the glass separation and loose/recessed home button stats, nearly 100% of all TP's have an issue right out of the box or within a few weeks of ownership. Stay classy HP.
    Like I already posted, these results are not indicative, because the polling process (this post) favors people with cracks in their tps. To get an accurate poll, we would need a list of completely random owners (good luck there), and then we would need to poll those owners. I'd realistically say around 15% (and that's generous) are affected, out of the 100k of tps that are out there as many as 15000 are affected by this issue. This is all speculative however. I haven't heard nearly as many complaints about glass separation or home buttons either, so your arbitrary 100% is obvious hyperbole.
    Here's my crack lol

Going in for repair tomorrow 7 -10 days without my Toucpad, might have to get the laptop out again!

I am left-handed and so I naturally prefer to hold the TP with the Home/Launcher button on the left side, so the speakers are pointing up in landscape and my hands are holding the device well away from the speaker holes. This also seems to be the better way to hold it with the HP case, because the flap hangs out of the way on the back.

So far no cracks for me, 3 weeks in. I have done some traveling with it, but generally it lives at home.

I suspect holding it with the speakers down is a bad idea. The TP is not light and that little strip of plastic between the screen glass and the speakers is thin and probably not thick enough to take the strain of the case flexing in that area very well.

Unfortunately, for those of you that are right-handed and prefer the physical button on the right, that doesn't work for landscape.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teamw23 View Post
    I am left-handed and so I naturally prefer to hold the TP with the Home/Launcher button on the left side, so the speakers are pointing up in landscape and my hands are holding the device well away from the speaker holes. This also seems to be the better way to hold it with the HP case, because the flap hangs out of the way on the back.

So far no cracks for me, 3 weeks in. I have done some traveling with it, but generally it lives at home.

I suspect holding it with the speakers down is a bad idea. The TP is not light and that little strip of plastic between the screen glass and the speakers is thin and probably not thick enough to take the strain of the case flexing in that area very well.

Unfortunately, for those of you that are right-handed and prefer the physical button on the right, that doesn't work for landscape.
    Damn you guys lol, I finally checked mine which I had in a Hp case since I got it. I found a crack on one of the speaker going to the backside of the touchpad which is why I thought I didn't have one. NEVER dropped it, and was gentle as can be. I got another one from OnSale, was never used and decided to take it out tonight cause of the Android Beta. Noticed a crack in that one too (out of the box), which is why I checked out my old one. Its just bad luck I guess. Going to ignore them for now since they are not that bad, but if I paid 600 bucks for this, I would be so angry right now. Is anyone having problems getting these fixed from HP.
    I've had my TP now for a month. Just in the last week and a half I've seen the cracks start to form from the speaker grill up to the screen. I really don't care for the price I paid so I just used some small pieces of clear packing tape to seal the cracks. I read on another forum about the USB port cracking too. Of course after reading this I looked and there are two hairline fractures in the shape of a V extending out if the USB port to the backside of the tablet that are about half an inch long.

I suspect the speaker cracks are from me setting the tablet on my legs/stomach when using the device in bed. As for the USB port... ***??? I always plug the connector in carefully and straight on. There has never been any stress there to my knowledge so I don't know why there's cracks there!! It certainly seems to me like they used VERY cheap plastic on the back panel. Everywhere else the build quality feels good.

I'm sure if you hold the touchpad upside down as another poster said, it would help. Problem is that some apps only run in landscape view right side up if the home button is on the right which means that unless you've got a super nifty case or something,

Though there is no stock and HP has officially abandoned this device/platform, is HP still honoring repairs? Like a previous poster said, If I had paid full price for this device I would be furious, but for the firesale price... Meh. Tape up the small fractures and keep on going.
    well...today, I joined the select group of tp owners with a crack or cracks near the speakers. It's possible the cracks appeared before today. I did check my tp sometime early last week or the week before for cracks and none were found then. Plus I've been finding myself using it more and more lately..even more than my v1 iPad. I purchased it on 9/28 and it arrived shortly after that.

After skimming thru this and other related threads, I called HP and long story short, they are sending me a box to ship it to them for repairs. Per the guy I spoke to, they will repair it and not send me a refurbished one. A refurbished one was offered as a quicker option.

The 'butler service' guy also said, "hp is aware of the problem" and is trying to find a solution. From what I understood, the service rep even suggested, as another option, to hold onto the touchpad until a solution is found by hp, and then send it in them. But he said there is no guarantee of an eventual solution. So I've decided to have them replace the back cover..thinking they may run eventually run out of back cover stock. That's my thinking along with the experiences I've read about here.
    Last edited by tekagnostic; 10/24/2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    Day one buyer of the Touchpad and no cracks here. Sorry to hear about those that have the problem

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I've had mine for a couple of months now, but used the Folio Case straight away. Mine looks exactly the same as it did out of the box. Sorry to hear that people have cracked ones, but if I'm being honest, I do look after my things very well, and would guess that helps the general condition.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast