View Poll Results: Firesale Owners, Do You Have Cracks in Your TouchPad Already?

Voters
475. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

146 30.74%
  • No

300 63.16%
  • I don't have any cracks, because I don't have a TouchPad. #FirstWorldPains

29 6.11%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Got mine 3 weeks ago. No cracks (yet). Been wrapped in the HP Folio case since day 1. I don't really turn the volume up either.
    I just got mine last night. I slipped it right out of the plastic & straight into the folio case, lol. I hope it does a good job of preventing it from cracking. I guess i'll find out in the coming weeks.
    its cracked near the speaker. I got the case from HP. Its not getting bigger
    cracked near USB too..what gives...
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    If you do, can you comment about weather or not you use a case/sleeve for your TouchPad as well.
    Should have included more options in the poll to compare cases vs no cases.

I don't use a case, no cracks in mine... but mine doesn't travel much at all.
    I got mine during the firesale. I've barely taken it anywhere or really used it for more than a few hours total and it already has hairline cracks by both of the speakers.
    Wow, at the time of this post, over 26% of those polled have found cracks. If you subtract out the over 7.5% who answered "don't own a TP," the number jumps to over 29% (61 out of 209). I don't have any cracks but after reading this, I may be turning neurotic because I grabbed a magnifying glass and started checking closer, lol. The poll is by no means scientific but still over 29% of owners checked positive for cracks and I doubt they all mishandled their pads. :-(
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Wow, lots of freakouts considering these cost $100. Now at $500, I could understand a freakout, but at $100? Meh

HP small business finally shipped mine, should get it on Monday. If mine cracks ill just glue it, its only plastic.
    I've had mine 2 weeks and no cracks so far, its only been out of the HP case long enough to inspect it.
    Bought a pair of 16GB Touchpads Aug. 22nd - both perfectly crack free. (knock on wood)
    I bought mine during the firesale and I do not have any cracks.
    So statistically... about 40 % of all TP that roll out are defective... nice QC
    I donīt have any cracks in mine, but I noticed today that the thin rubber seal is coming upwards. I installed a Bodyguardz Armor Carbon Fiber yesterday on the back, because I was tired of cleaning it constantly. During the installation I had to press on the back sometimes to get rid of the air bubbles under the Bodyguardz shield, but i canīt really tell if this is the reason.

Does anyone of you know if and how I can easily pull this rubber back into place. I definitely know it was plain to the housing before and now itīs just wavy and leaps over.
    has anyone sent theirs in for service and had it repaired under warranty? i just noticed 4 cracks on mine, and one on above the speaker that was cracked all the way through. ive created a repair order. i'll be sending it in as soon as i get the packaging to ship it back. they told me if it wasnt covered under warranty, i would be required to pay for the repair. i asked if i could just buy the back cover and repair it myself and they said no.
    No cracks here

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by BiffTirkle View Post
    has anyone sent theirs in for service and had it repaired under warranty? i just noticed 4 cracks on mine, and one on above the speaker that was cracked all the way through. ive created a repair order. i'll be sending it in as soon as i get the packaging to ship it back. they told me if it wasnt covered under warranty, i would be required to pay for the repair. i asked if i could just buy the back cover and repair it myself and they said no.
    I think I saw in another thread that least one person has sent one in and gotten a repair back where it too wound up cracking on after a bit of light use. Other then that I'm not sure if anyone else has gotten theirs back yet due to the huge repair/replacement backlog.

As for my own touchpad it cracked on one side of the top speaker all the way through to the screen a few weeks ago like yourself. I just noticed today that the other side of that same speaker is starting to crack as well so it will probably crack all the way through and then the plastic between the speaker and screen will fall off thus leaving a gaping hole. I'm thinking this could allow the internal circuitry to get damaged over time as well.
    I will not check - ran my finger along the edges a few days ago without looking - felt fine - decided to leave it alone without looking at it. l do not want to put energy into this until I make it a reality. I have had my 32gb for over 3 weeks - it has been in a case for about 2.5 - and other than the usual problems - browser, text size, login glitch, etc... The thing seems fine, and I ain't going to go looking for any other problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I keep reading/hearing about many TouchPad owners getting cracks near the speakers and/or by the glass on their TouchPad. I'm expecting my TouchPad to arrive tomorrow, and I'm curious; how many of you that bought a TP during the firesale have cracks in your TouchPad already?

If you do, can you comment about weather or not you use a case/sleeve for your TouchPad as well. I'm curios to see if the cracking issue is a huge problem, or if it's exaggerated.

Thanks!
    My wife and I both have had ours since Aug 24 and till no cracks.
    they both have been in cases since day one.
    SmartFah likes this.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    none nadda, bought mine in august and using it daily, in a HP folio since mid september
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by specter View Post
    So statistically... about 40 % of all TP that roll out are defective... nice QC
    That's not a valid statistic. Your polling standard (this poll) favors people who have cracks (in their TP's), since the users with cracks (in their TPs) are more likely to to search and read posts about cracks (in their TPs). Trust me, I'm a doctor in Political Science....

EDITED for clarity (in their TPs) ;-)
    No cracks.. in HP case since hour 0ne.

I'm interested in reasons.. why only a percentage of them?
    Even 10% is still a lot of cracked TouchPads!

Some conjecture (from HP, I think) that the cracking could also be caused by overtightened chassis screws at assembly.

I would imagine that if the unit was assembled as such in a cold climate and then shipped to and operated in a hot climate.. the mere expansion defferential of the materials under those 'pre-stressed' conditions, could be enough to find, distort and fracture at the weakest points.. ie. where the case is thinnest around the speakers and ports?

Or was there a bad and a brittle 'batch' of plastic cases anyway..?
    Or a certain resonant frequency of the speakers..?
    Or a whole stack of them just got dropped by a forklift in Taiwan somewhere..
    And no one happened to 'notice'!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 10/11/2011 at 03:21 AM.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast