View Poll Results: Firesale Owners, Do You Have Cracks in Your TouchPad Already?

Voters
475. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

146 30.74%
  • No

300 63.16%
  • I don't have any cracks, because I don't have a TouchPad. #FirstWorldPains

29 6.11%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thirsy1258 View Post
    Pics of these cracks by the speaker so I know what to look for.

sent from my thunderbolt
    mine is so hard to see that you can only see it when looking at it from a certain angle. A camera won't be able to capture it.
    Read this thread, took my Touchpad out of the Griffin Folio iPad case I have it in, saw the crack by the top speaker It's all the way through, you can lift up the little piece of plastic. If I'd paid $500 for it I'd be furious, but I don't even know if I want to send it back as I have one of the brighter screens and otherwise it is fine. I don't even know how they'd "repair" it other than filling the crack with glue (which I may or may not do myself if I don't send it back). Can't see when it's in the case.
    Last edited by KParrott; 09/14/2011 at 12:05 PM.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by KParrott View Post
    Read this thread, took my Touchpad out of the Griffin Folio iPad case I have it in, saw the crack by the top speaker It's all the way through, you can lift up the little piece of plastic. If I'd paid $500 for it I'd be furious, but I don't even know if I want to send it back as I have one of the brighter screens and otherwise it is fine. I don't even know how they'd "repair" it other than filling the crack with glue (which I may or may not do myself if I don't send it back). Can't see when it's in the case.
    Yeah, I'm glad I'm getting it for firesale price. I would be upset to pay full retail price & have my device crack, especially when it's been in a case.
    No cracks on my beloved 16gb purchased at BJs 8/21.

Have had it in a $5 silicone ipad skin or a phillips ipad case/stand.

I use my Touchpad every day at least 3-5 hours...

Kids use it too.

Haven't plugged it in since installing preware via quickinstall and getting touchstone.
    I called customer service at 1-877-426-3777 and got the extended care package for free in case it decides to crack elsewhere around the other ports. I was assured it would not affect the functionality of the Touchpad, and I don't doubt that, but I'd rather not have the plastic falling off in chunks just the same.
    We have 4 32GB HP TouchPads and none of ours have any cracks. Looks like we have been pretty lucky so far.
    Wife and I picked up two units last month and thankfully...no cracks or damage yet. Pam actually dropped her unit, but it was protected in its case and landed without problem. Actually, it scared the dickens our of both of us, but thankfully no problems! Sorli...
    No cracks. I keep it in an old netbook soft case when not in use, and I try to use it speakers up whenever possible, especially when I put it in a stand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmytvc15 View Post
    mine is so hard to see that you can only see it when looking at it from a certain angle. A camera won't be able to capture it.
    K Thx I will certainly look for them if I ever get a tp.

sent from my thunderbolt
    Got mine 3 weeks ago. No cracks (yet). Been wrapped in the HP Folio case since day 1. I don't really turn the volume up either.
    SmartFah likes this.
    I don't have any cracks, but I can see how easily someone can get one, and if I hadn't gotten a case from day one, I may have had cracks by now. When I've picked it up, I've grabbed it by the corners, right at the speaker opening, and have applied a LOT of pressure. Luckily I saw the posts here about the speaker cracks so I've been very careful. It's my precious, I don't let anyone else touch him.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    1.5 Weeks. No cracks. 32GB model.
    I've got two cracks by the two speakers. Never used a case, never dropped it.
    No cracks, no case, 2 weeks old
    I've had my white 64GB Touch Pad since 8/30/2011. Discovered the little crack by the top speaker on 9/9/2011. Decided to just do a little home patch job using an acid-free glue. (It's also photo safe. ) It seems to have done the trick so far. I just didn't want to let it go.
    Had it for a few weeks and no cracks. No case, I even take it to/from university.
    I found a picture of the problem:

I'm gonna be real gentle with mine now!
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Had mine for about 2 weeks now and its been in the HP folio case the entire time. I do have the tiny cracks by the speaker. I only noticed them because I looked for them after reading about it online. I have no idea how long they have been there. I have 2 other TPs at home that I will need to check as well. Will most likely call HP and get the free ADP on it. Nice piece of mind I guess in case it gets dropped and gets a SERIOUS crack
    link to original thread http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...d-speaker.html

I freak out and check for cracks every time this topic comes up. Just checking now and...OH GOOD LORD THERE IS ACTUALLY A CRACK friggin frik frik. It wasn't there a few days ago and is right there, in the same location as in llama233's photo. Dammit. Now what? I hate to call HP and blah blah. It's too new to put a band aid or something on it. Why did you guys even tell me to look? This is the only thing I've ever loved. Why is God so cruel? This thing has never even left the house yet.
    crap. Now I got to go re-read the other threads and see if this gets worse.
    AHHHHHH In the light,you can actually see the crack when you'reusing it.
    Last edited by woosh; 09/15/2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: link added
    I got mine on 8/20/11 have used the case the whole time. It got a small crack on me left speaker heading towards the screen and I called HP they gave me One year Accidental Protection for FREE!!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast