Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm just curious what kinds of battery life others are getting when watching movies on their TP?

My 6 yr old daughter gets about 3-4 hours before it shuts down and was wondering if this is about right. I saw a review on engadget where they said they got 8hrs 33min from watching videos on a constant loop which has me puzzled.

HP TouchPad review -- Engadget

Anyway her TP is a 32gig @1.7ghz Warthog kernel with all the speed tweaks applied running the latest Kalemsoft player from the HP store playing standard dvd rips in divx/xvid formats. She does tend to make the screen at full brightness or close to it which i'm guessing is the problem.

Anyway just curious what anyone else is getting and appreciete any tips to squeeze more battery life out for watching movies etc. Thanks!
    Not sure how much help it is but I've seen post that about 4 hours is the max on full bright. I don't have movies to try it yet and still waiting for a tp to come in the mail. Good luck

sent from my thunderbolt
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    id sayd about 4-5 hours
    Quote Originally Posted by faka View Post
    I'm just curious what kinds of battery life others are getting when watching movies on their TP?

My 6 yr old daughter gets about 3-4 hours before it shuts down and was wondering if this is about right. I saw a review on engadget where they said they got 8hrs 33min from watching videos on a constant loop which has me puzzled.

HP TouchPad review -- Engadget

Anyway her TP is a 32gig @1.7ghz Warthog kernel with all the speed tweaks applied running the latest Kalemsoft player from the HP store playing standard dvd rips in divx/xvid formats. She does tend to make the screen at full brightness or close to it which i'm guessing is the problem.

Anyway just curious what anyone else is getting and appreciete any tips to squeeze more battery life out for watching movies etc. Thanks!
    You answered your own question with the brightness thing. Also overclocking will have a decent effect on the battery. If your daughter is just watching movies on it, there is no reason it should be oc'ed @ 1.7. Turn it down to stock before you give it to her.
    My kids have watched a movie with no real drop in battery life (a few percent) so I do not think 2 movies should kill it but never watched more than one.
    f15c at 1.7
    brightness at 100
    pj
    Last edited by pjr107; 09/13/2011 at 09:28 PM.
    I get about 8 hrs watching movies on default video app. 1.7 F15 overclock with all standard tweaks. Brightness about 75-80%.
    How are your movies formatted? If they aren't in mp4 format and using the stock player than you are maxing the CPU out software decoding video. That is why not having native mkv and avi support with hardware acceleration is so bad.
    Last edited by muyoso; 09/13/2011 at 11:45 PM.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Mine last far longer than that but I run at 50% bright with wifi off.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    How are you movies formatted? If they aren't in mp4 format and using the stock player than you are maxing the CPU out software decoding video. That is why not having native mkv and avi support with hardware acceleration is so bad.
    @muyoso Wow, I never even considered hardware acceleration vs software decoding. Thats makes lots of sense to me. My vids are standard divx/xvid in avi containers. Thanks for that. I may convert her vids to mp4 and try using the stock player to see the difference.

@HolyFizzoli I did downclock it back to stock speeds but encountered about the same run time on the battery, so I clocked it backup just for heck of it.

@hypertech Sorry if my post seems redundant to you but I have been lurking here for a few weeks and haven't seen anyone talk about battery life from just watching videos.

muyoso's reply pretty much answered my question and I will test and post back here if anyone is interested in the results. Thanks to all that replied.
    My TP is (or was - it's going back to HP for the speaker crack issue!) my main video device.

Assuming a normal length TV episode of 40-45 minutes, watching XVID video from a CIFS share via Kalemsoft eats about 15% battery per episode.

HD video from BBC's iPlayer - Flash based - does better and drops about 10% per episode.

General usage (just as a counterpoint) i.e. basic internet browsing etc probably eats just as much as iPlayer HD to be honest.

Clearly software v hardware decoding makes a big difference - but certainly not eating the entire battery in 3 hours IMHO.
    after many test alot of person report that the main factor for the duration of the batterie is the brightness level.
    Quote Originally Posted by hypertech View Post
    after many test alot of person report that the main factor for the duration of the batterie is the brightness level.
    yeah I got about 7 to 8 hours heavy usage (hulu, scummv, browsing) at 50% brightness. I get 4 to 5 hours at 100% brightness.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbymd7 View Post
    yeah I got about 7 to 8 hours heavy usage (hulu, scummv, browsing) at 50% brightness. I get 4 to 5 hours at 100% brightness.
    I've had my Touchpad for about a week and a half now but haven't been using it much. The first time I charged it up (right after taking it out of the box) I charged it with the wall adapter and the battery seemed to go forever (I did no formal testing but found I could browse the net for a long time with the battery not dropping at all), and I had the screen at full brightness, wireless on, volume about 50%. When I finally went to charge it the second time I used the Touchstone I got with it and to me the battery seemed to be dying much quicker and I was concerned. I charged it again last night and unplugged it shortly after seeing the battery was 100% charged so I could copy a movie to it (then turning it off for the night, leaving it off until getting home from work today). I have been testing it since shortly after getting home from work.

The video is an MP4 file that's 9 minutes and 28 seconds long, with the display around 15% brightness, 100% volume, Wi-Fi on and I'm using the built in video player (I couldn't figure out how to make the video loop so when it finishes I'm pressing the play button to play it again).

Here's what I've recorded so far:
    100% at 6:52pm
    94% at 7:51pm
    76% at 9:29pm
    55% at 11:15pm
    36% at 12:52am
    28% at 1:40am
    20% at 2:21am (it's extremely difficult to see the screen now as it's so dark, I actually had to turn off all the lights in my apartment so I could see what the battery level was at)

I should add that I'm using the original OS with whatever update HP released for it, none of the builds and nothing is overclocked.

Still trying to figure out if I'm crazy for thinking that I was getting better battery life out of it before or if I should just shut up and accept that this is good (or figure out if it's bad so I can either return it or contact HP if needed).

What do you guys think and is there a way I could squeeze a little more power out of the Touchpad? I'm hoping to do some more testing with it tomorrow with the display at 50% and then, maybe if I really feel up to it, again at 100%.

Oh, I should add that the only program I've actually installed on the Touchpad is pReader along with a whole bunch of books (but I've only added 6-8 to the library), along with a bunch of videos (which aren't recognized by the built in player).
    Last edited by FunkinsDesigns; 09/17/2011 at 01:24 AM.
    ^^^ That's a good post. Very methodical and well designed. I'm also experiencing the same thing. When I first got the TP, I charged it from the wall adapter and it seemed to last forever. I charged it a few times with the Touchstone, and I swear that the battery life seems to drain much faster. Hmmmm...it could all be in my head.

I'm going to do something similar to Funkin designs and post my results. The only difference is I have the UberKernel overclocked to 1.5ghz.
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkinsDesigns View Post
    I've had my Touchpad for about a week and a half now but haven't been using it much. The first time I charged it up (right after taking it out of the box) I charged it with the wall adapter and the battery seemed to go forever (I did no formal testing but found I could browse the net for a long time with the battery not dropping at all), and I had the screen at full brightness, wireless on, volume about 50%. When I finally went to charge it the second time I used the Touchstone I got with it and to me the battery seemed to be dying much quicker and I was concerned. I charged it again last night and unplugged it shortly after seeing the battery was 100% charged so I could copy a movie to it (then turning it off for the night, leaving it off until getting home from work today). I have been testing it since shortly after getting home from work.

The video is an MP4 file that's 9 minutes and 28 seconds long, with the display around 15% brightness, 100% volume, Wi-Fi on and I'm using the built in video player (I couldn't figure out how to make the video loop so when it finishes I'm pressing the play button to play it again).

Here's what I've recorded so far:
    100% at 6:52pm
    94% at 7:51pm
    76% at 9:29pm
    55% at 11:15pm
    36% at 12:52am
    28% at 1:40am
    20% at 2:21am (it's extremely difficult to see the screen now as it's so dark, I actually had to turn off all the lights in my apartment so I could see what the battery level was at)

I should add that I'm using the original OS with whatever update HP released for it, none of the builds and nothing is overclocked.

Still trying to figure out if I'm crazy for thinking that I was getting better battery life out of it before or if I should just shut up and accept that this is good (or figure out if it's bad so I can either return it or contact HP if needed).

What do you guys think and is there a way I could squeeze a little more power out of the Touchpad? I'm hoping to do some more testing with it tomorrow with the display at 50% and then, maybe if I really feel up to it, again at 100%.

Oh, I should add that the only program I've actually installed on the Touchpad is pReader along with a whole bunch of books (but I've only added 6-8 to the library), along with a bunch of videos (which aren't recognized by the built in player).
    To update the post, I continued on with testing and here's where I ended up:

13% at 3:01am

After that I decided that I had tested enough and didn't think I should continue on until the system powered itself off/drained the battery completely (for fear of damaging the battery as I've had that happen before with a laptop battery).

Still trying to decide if that's normal or not. As I said, when first getting the Touchpad and charging it I swear I could use it for a long period of time and go online without it making much of a dent in battery life while now it seems that's not the case at all.
    I found leaving TP plugged in after it reaches 100% seems to make the battery last a little longer. For example, you can use it for several minutes without the battery level dropping.
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    I found leaving TP plugged in after it reaches 100% seems to make the battery last a little longer. For example, you can use it for several minutes without the battery level dropping.
    Me too but then all of a sudden it will go from 100% to 98%... It seems to skip 99% altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkinsDesigns View Post
    Me too but then all of a sudden it will go from 100% to 98%... It seems to skip 99% altogether.
    Sometimes mine goes a lot longer than that before dropping below 100%. Then yeah it starts to drop fast.