Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    wow gone already.
    the case was Belkin, not hp
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    yeah sorry was in a hurry to get it on here. Yeah just sold out. Man that was quick. Sorry I couldn't post it quicker. It sold out in what looks to be almost 15 minutes.
    They had announced it on facebook.
    Quote Originally Posted by resteasy View Post
    yeah sorry was in a hurry to get it on here. Yeah just sold out. Man that was quick. Sorry I couldn't post it quicker. It sold out in what looks to be almost 15 minutes.
    They had announced it on facebook.
    had one in my cart, but couldn't check out
    live again
    Global Posts
    817 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
    live again
    Got one!
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Got one!
    205 shipped isn't bad if you don't have one yet

i already have several coming from the QVC bundle so i passed
    Live again!
    Sold Out again. Crazy. Is HP watching. Price these at $199 and $249 and you will sell them all day. Come on HP....sell the next round at the firesale price then bring TP 2 to market at $199 and $249, you will have a instant hit.
    Last edited by BayAreaTreo; 09/13/2011 at 02:59 PM.
    again OOS..
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    damn I had one in my cart but couldn't update my new info in time
    Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaTreo View Post
    Sold Out again. Crazy. Is HP watching. Price these at $199 and $249 and you will sell them all day. Come on HP....sell the next round at the firesale price then bring TP 2 to market at $199 and $249, you will have a instant hit.
    Companies are not interested in selling. They are interested in making a profit.
    Selling 100 million devices is not a good thing if you make a loss on every single one of them - selling more makes it worse.

The TP costs HP roughly the upper end of your range to make. And that's without retail getting their sizable cut.

I assume you expect the TP2 to have noticable technical improvements. Even if we assume better hardware at same cost being available this will prevent any cost reductions.

To be profitable at the prices you'd like them to sell at the TP2 would have to be of less quality and less powerful (using the cheapest oldest parts available in volume) than the TP. And even then profit might be too small.

As long as Moores Law holds hardware costs might get to the point where a tablet can be done profitably at that price point and still do what you want it to do. But that's probably a few years in the future.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Selling at a loss would not kill them if they sold enough to boost app sales. Of course that would involve putting out some in house apps. Xbox 360 sold at a loss for a while, and was backed up by live subscriptions and MS studio games
    sell the TP at a slight loss; the real money is in accessories. Most people will buy a case; a decent amount will purchase the keyboard, etc. Plus, the apps, although that's not a ton of money.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Companies are not interested in selling. They are interested in making a profit.
    Selling 100 million devices is not a good thing if you make a loss on every single one of them - selling more makes it worse.

The TP costs HP roughly the upper end of your range to make. And that's without retail getting their sizable cut.

I assume you expect the TP2 to have noticable technical improvements. Even if we assume better hardware at same cost being available this will prevent any cost reductions.

To be profitable at the prices you'd like them to sell at the TP2 would have to be of less quality and less powerful (using the cheapest oldest parts available in volume) than the TP. And even then profit might be too small.

As long as Moores Law holds hardware costs might get to the point where a tablet can be done profitably at that price point and still do what you want it to do. But that's probably a few years in the future.

Not true. Gaming consoles sell for a loss up front for the sale of the console but make plenty in profits through their games the same could be true here if the app market grows which it will with more people owning the HP touchpad.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jace985 View Post
    Not true. Gaming consoles sell for a loss up front for the sale of the console but make plenty in profits through their games the same could be true here if the app market grows which it will with more people owning the HP touchpad.
    While your video game analogy is correct (at least when a console first comes out), it doesn't really apply to Touchpad Apps. Think about it. The HP App Store only gets 30% of app revenue. The rest goes to the developers. And that's only if the apps cost money and are downloaded via the app store itself. Many people only download free apps and maybe a couple really useful paid apps. And the apps that people do buy are usually $1-5 each. Let's say, theoretically, that everyone buys $50 in apps, which in my opinion is unrealistically high. HP will take in $15 of that as revenue. But they also need to pay credit card processing fees which will take about $2 out of that, leaving $13. But they also need to fund the HP App Store itself, which includes servers, hardware, administration, network connectivity, networking equipment, staff, etc. And they also need developers to actually develop the apps. That brings in added costs for their own people to manage the developer community. Putting together documentation, SDKs, perks, conventions, etc. In the end, I would be surprised if they even break even.

While Apple has so many apps and users who love to waste money that they might end up making a very small profit on their store, I don't believe this would apply to anyone else. The manufacturers realize that a huge array of apps is the key to selling the hardware. But if they are selling the tablets at a $100-$200 loss, they will never recoup that investment. Unless of course everyone who owned a Touchpad spent $1000 on apps...
    I squeezed in 2 orders yesterday in between when this would show "item not available" and "in stock". Have any of you received shipping notification emails? Or do you just go to your orders online and view status? I checked there and it shows them as backordered. Not sure what to think. Hope they dont get cancelled..

Update: well now new as of this morning, both previously showed invoice unavailable and this morning, 1 of them shows an invoice and says paid in full by visa.
    Last edited by volcom45; 09/14/2011 at 10:26 AM.
    A friend said they were listed at $200.00 but I could not find anything on the website unless...they sold out immediately (probably)
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    I squeezed in 2 orders yesterday in between when this would show "item not available" and "in stock". Have any of you received shipping notification emails? Or do you just go to your orders online and view status? I checked there and it shows them as backordered. Not sure what to think. Hope they dont get cancelled..

Update: well now new as of this morning, both previously showed invoice unavailable and this morning, 1 of them shows an invoice and says paid in full by visa.
    Good luck brother, I know you just keep barely missing on these deals.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by william munny View Post
    sell the TP at a slight loss; the real money is in accessories. Most people will buy a case; a decent amount will purchase the keyboard, etc . Plus, the apps, although
    that's not a ton of
    money.
    I can attest to this! I have a 64gb white, & 32 TP & so far I have bought 2 Hp cases, 3 touchstone chargers, 3 bt keyboards, an extra usb cord & ac wall charger. Non HP buys- 1 griffen anti glare screen protector
    1 skinomi screen & full body protector clear (for the white TP)
    2 carrying cases - 1 by Timbuk2 & another I ordered off the HP site that is called the Greystone. It claims that it's a TP specific case with external side pockets to carry accessories. There's only 1 small photo of it on their site and it looked like it had a tiny HP logo on it but couldn't tell for sure, so I'll have to wait to get it to see if this was another official HP accessory that didn't make it to retail before the fire sale.

All totaled I've prob spent as much on this as the TP, but I wouldn't have as much at the full retail price. Probably just 1 touchstone, case, & keyboard. Of course I was also planning on getting a TP & was perfectly fine with paying full retail bc I love & want to support it, but I really wanted the TP GO 7 inch model that was supposed to drop around now or in the next few weeks.

Saw an article talking about HP suppliers ticked bc they have filled parts orders for the 7 inch version for around 200 - 250k already. MAN, I hope they do a limited run on them to use up the parts and not burn supplier relationships. I will be hunting one down without fail but I doubt it happens...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast