Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

is just received my Touchpad yesterday, all was fine. Run the setup, joined my WiFi and started using it. I than installed Preware and Uberkernel along with Govnah. No problem all ran fine after reboot.

Yesterday evening I disabled WiFi on the TouchPad (via the drop-down menu, I found that this could be the issue). WiFi turned off and I went to bed :-)

This morning, I tried to enabled WiFi but the spinner spins for at least 2 minutes before I decided to go to the WiFi preferences. Bud I can't enable WiFi there.

What I've done since than to solve this issue:
    • Turn off TP and on again
    • Doing hard-reset (Power-Button and Center Button hold for maybe 15-20 seconds
    • Hard-Reset 2nd With Power-VolumeUp-Center hold for 10 seconds
    • Switched to recovery mode USB-Logo
    • doctored 3.0.0
    • doctored 3.0.2

All the above steps didn't solved the issue.
    The setup wizard starts after power on and their I stuck, because I can't continue without using a WiFi network, but the wizard can't find a single network. And here are at least 3 to 4 WiFi's that working fine.

Any ideas what's going on here and a tip what could help?
    Try unplugging your router for 30 seconds and then restarting it. I had an issue yesterday with my girlfriends TouchPad. I was connected with mine, but couldn't connect hers for some reason, a first I might add. I just did as I described and then it worked.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Hi, new to this forum, but registered just to backup rretsiem, as I have the same issues.
    - this turns out to be a rather long post - please skip to the last 2-3 paragraphs, if it is too much to read.

I got my touchpad a week ago, initial setup went fine, connected to my hidden WPA2 protected network with no problems at all.
    After that I updated to WebOS 3.0.2 from the TP, went smoothly.
    Finally I disabled most logging, and installed the "recommended" patches found in this forum. (though no uberkernel or overclocking for me yet)

This worked great for a week, until suddenly one morning my TP did not respond to the power button, other than the center button did a "double blink", but that was it. I figured it might be due to low battery, and connected the original charger for an hour or so. Still no response after an hour. I googled this and found the following "explanation"; if the TP receives a message while the messaging app is not in card view and the screen is off, the TP locks up and only way back is a hard reset (power+center button).

I did the hard reset and my unit came back to life, though it had dropped the connection to my Wifi.
    According to the top-right menu and settings->wifi the radio was off. However neither of the two places did I succeed in enabling the wifi radio again.
    Top-right menu only displayed the working "circle" for minutes on end, and in settings->wifi the button responded, but still did not turn on.

Running a system diagnostics returned the wifi error code 1000, which according to another post somewhere means that the wifi radio is disabled or off (well.. that IS kinda the problem). I did collect a log, but did not retrieve it from my TP before I decided to take the next step:

Next step was to delete apps and data to return it to near-factory condition, where I knew the wifi was working. This went fine, and returned me to the setup procedure.

This was when it got real ugly; in order to finish the setup, you need a working wifi connection, and the TP was unable to find any networks, the same working "circle" keeps turning, but nothing happens (although from my laptop I can see 9 in the area)!
    Trying to join a network by specifying name - no result.

I also tried various changes to my network security, rebooting router ect. - no result.

Finally I tried doctoring to 3.0.2, but the process still hangs at wifi setup.
    Currently I'm doctoring to 3.0.0 in hopes of returning to the same version as from the factory, but it's hard to be very positive that this will work.
    Update: finished doctoring to 3.0.0 and left the unit scanning for 30 mins or so, not he unit does not respond to touch input when I try to cancel the scanning.

Please note that currently I/we cannot turn our wifi on/off, as we are back at the setup process, and I/we cannot see ANY wifi networks when the TP is scanning, and therefore cannot finish the setup.

This in mind, any ideas to restore functionality is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by knoer; 09/13/2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Further "progress"
    Guys I really need some input on this please. I have had my TP since the "fire sale" and I love using it. Today, as always, I took it to my class. I have had no issues connecting to any network up to this point. I opened the WiFi settings card and attempted to connect to a network. At first it showed just one, and then it just disappeared. So from that point my TP has been searching for networks non stop. I have walked to different parts of the building and no luck. My phone connects up fine. I attempted a restart, did a diagnostics test which said something is wrong with the wifi, and finally just completed a factory reset, all to no avail. I really hope this is just a random glitch and resolves itself when I get home. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I'm having the same issue here.

One morning my TP did not turn on the screen when I pressed the power button.
    After a hard reset, the unit worked again, but was unable to find any networks (although there are 8-9 visible on mt laptop).
    A diagnostics run returned a wifi error code 1000, which should translate to "wifi radio off or disabled" (according to a post I have forgotten the link to).

I have tried a app&data erase, reflashing WebOS 3.0.2 and even 3.0.0 to get my TP back in working order, but nothing has solved my issue.

Currently I have a $149 paperweight with a touchscreen where I can select a language, but nothing more, since I cannot complete the setup procedure without a wifi-connection :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by knoer View Post
    I'm having the same issue here.

One morning my TP did not turn on the screen when I pressed the power button.
    After a hard reset, the unit worked again, but was unable to find any networks (although there are 8-9 visible on mt laptop).
    A diagnostics run returned a wifi error code 1000, which should translate to "wifi radio off or disabled" (according to a post I have forgotten the link to).

I have tried a app&data erase, reflashing WebOS 3.0.2 and even 3.0.0 to get my TP back in working order, but nothing has solved my issue.

Currently I have a $149 paperweight with a touchscreen where I can select a language, but nothing more, since I cannot complete the setup procedure without a wifi-connection :-(
    Wow that is not good. Mine is sitting in front of me also at the point where you can select language as well. I'm glad, in an unfortunate way, that I'm not the only one. I also have the 32GB version.
    Bummer. Mine did that to me this morning. I just turned off the WiFi and restarted .
    I love Nerdy Girls.
    Oh... I should totally follow this BAMF www.twitter.com/demiroquai
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I'm currently trying to re-locate a thread where one mentioned having extracted the wifi log from his device, where the log (as far as I remember) had entries referring to the wifi driver being unable to load.

IF I remember correctly, AND this is the issue I/we are facing, I'm hoping an update to a future version of WebOS will fix this.

I'll give it a week or two, and then move focus to installing something else (android/ubuntu) although I really like the design of WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demiroquai View Post
    Bummer. Mine did that to me this morning. I just turned off the WiFi and restarted .
    Yeah I was hoping just turning the wifi on/off would solve it but yeah.

I'm currently trying to re-locate a thread where one mentioned having extracted the wifi log from his device, where the log (as far as I remember) had entries referring to the wifi driver being unable to load.

IF I remember correctly, AND this is the issue I/we are facing, I'm hoping an update to a future version of WebOS will fix this.

I'll give it a week or two, and then move focus to installing something else (android/ubuntu) although I really like the design of WebOS.
    I thought at first to turn this into an Android tablet, but I have really fallen in love with webOS so it would be a real bummer to not resolve this soon.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    What I personally really don't get is why the doctor does not solve my problem.

While my TP was running I did install preware and some enhancing patches - but the only patch which remotely has something to do with the wifi connection is the "unthrottle download manager".

A full doctor restore should (in my mind) revert all modifications and leave the unit as fresh as from the factory (where it worked fine) but unfortunately this does not seem to be the case?

I would also by far prefer this to be resolved - but I was unsure if I was the only one with this issue until today.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks knoer, at least I'm not alone.
    I've doctored 2 times to 3.0.0 and 2 times to 3.0.2 again, still no networks visible.
    I restarted my WiFi router, as sledge007 mentioned, but that didn't helped.
    Other devices here are working fine, including a Pre2 and a Veer, along with a MacBook and a Windows Laptop, all connected to the same network without problems.
    I even tried the TouchPad outside my house where I know that my neighbors network is at least visible, nothing was found.

I already talked to the hotline here, but it's a weird situation, cause this is a US device and I'm in Germany, so support in europe can't help me, I've to talk to the US support.
    I need this thing to finish an app I'm currently developing and now I'm back at the emulator but for my next tests that won't help that much.
    What I personally really don't get is why the doctor does not solve my problem.

While my TP was running I did install preware and some enhancing patches - but the only patch which remotely has something to do with the wifi connection is the "unthrottle download manager".

A full doctor restore should (in my mind) revert all modifications and leave the unit as fresh as from the factory (where it worked fine) but unfortunately this does not seem to be the case?

I would also by far prefer this to be resolved - but I was unsure if I was the only one with this issue until today.
    Ok a bit of good news. I just came home from my class and its working fine with my home network. Kinda bummed out that I had to reset everything, but still curious why it failed at school. Their network was open, no passwords or encryptions of any kind.
    I'm sure the "experts" will chime in soon and help you guys but I'm also puzzled by the doctor not being able to fix this issue.

In the worst case, contact HP warranty and they should fix this under warranty.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Just found something that might be interesting;
    HP TouchPad Demo Unit Solution - Bypass Activation | webOSroundup

I'm unsure whether this procedure will provide a way to skip the setup on boot (mainly the wifi part) and get into the running WebOS system, which could provide more ways to fix the wifi issue?

Too late for me to test this now, will re-read the page another day and see if this is worth trying..
  15.    #15  
    Hi,

just to let you know that I opened a thread for the same issue that I've since this morning.

Maybe a moderator can merge these threads.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...are-issue.html

No solution found for now... But have also no ideas what else could solve it.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I also have laptops, Android phones a PS3 and a Wifi radio connected to my network with no issues.

My unit is also imported - from the US to Denmark - so support is minimal here (hoping the forums and/or HP updates will provide a solution)

From what I have read so far this is either (hopefully) a driver issue or a hardware issue, since the software is unable to turn on the wifi radio?
  17.    #17  
    O.K. update, not better but at least maybe a step in the right direction.
    I activated the device using the device-tool.jar to bypass activation.

The device is now useable, well not really without WiFi. But I'm in.
    I set the log-level to "info" and tailing /var/log/messages

If I disable Airplane Mode this is what I get:

Code:
    2011-07-30T01:51:55.117783Z [469] webos-device user.notice LunaSysMgr: {LunaSysMgr}: StatusBar - Disabling Airplane Mode
    2011-07-30T01:51:55.132911Z [469] webos-device user.notice LunaSysMgr: {LunaSysMgr}: StatusBar - Updating Airplane Mode Progress: 1
    2011-07-30T01:51:55.133116Z [469] webos-device user.notice LunaSysMgr: {LunaSysMgr}: StatusBar - Updating Airplane Mode Progress: 2
    2011-07-30T01:51:55.133230Z [469] webos-device user.notice LunaSysMgr: {LunaSysMgr}: StatusBar - Updating Airplane Mode Progress: 3
    2011-07-30T01:51:55.133336Z [469] webos-device user.notice LunaSysMgr: {LunaSysMgr}: StatusBar - Enable / Disable Airplane Mode complete - Updating Device Menu
    2011-07-30T01:52:00.814957Z [474] webos-device syslog.info pmsyslogd: {com.palm.wifi}: ------ Flushing ring buffer for user.crit message ------
    2011-07-30T01:50:54.316852Z [408] webos-device user.info PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Service[2]: Received event - DisplayOn
    2011-07-30T01:50:54.316919Z [408] webos-device user.info PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Service[2]: Received event - ServiceEnabled
    2011-07-30T01:51:54.490624Z [468] webos-device user.info PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: WiFi driver successfully loaded
    2011-07-30T01:51:54.490716Z [468] webos-device user.info PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Service[2]: Received event - DisplayOn
    2011-07-30T01:51:54.490773Z [468] webos-device user.info PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Service[2]: Received event - ScanSubscriberRemoved
    2011-07-30T01:51:54.490827Z [468] webos-device user.info PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Service[2]: Received event - ServiceEnabled
    2011-07-30T01:51:54.490879Z [468] webos-device user.info PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Driver is already initialized. Nothing to do.
    2011-07-30T01:51:54.792219Z [468] webos-device user.warning PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Unable to get Wireless Extension version number. Retrying...
    2011-07-30T01:51:55.094729Z [469] webos-device user.warning PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Unable to get Wireless Extension version number. Retrying...
    2011-07-30T01:51:55.394222Z [469] webos-device user.warning PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Unable to get Wireless Extension version number. Retrying...
    2011-07-30T01:51:55.694427Z [469] webos-device user.warning PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Unable to get Wireless Extension version number. Retrying...
    2011-07-30T01:51:55.995035Z [469] webos-device user.warning PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Unable to get Wireless Extension version number. Retrying...
    2011-07-30T01:51:56.293662Z [470] webos-device user.warning PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Unable to get Wireless Extension version number. Retrying...
    2011-07-30T01:51:56.593529Z [470] webos-device user.warning PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Unable to get Wireless Extension version number. Retrying...
    2011-07-30T01:51:56.893391Z [470] webos-device user.warning PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Unable to get Wireless Extension version number. Retrying...
    2011-07-30T01:51:57.212930Z [471] webos-device user.warning PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Unable to get Wireless Extension version number. Retrying...
    2011-07-30T01:51:57.512034Z [471] webos-device user.warning PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Unable to get Wireless Extension version number. Retrying...
    2011-07-30T01:51:57.808272Z [471] webos-device user.warning PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Unable to get Wireless Extension version number. Retrying...
    2011-07-30T01:51:58.114049Z [472] webos-device user.warning PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Unable to get Wireless Extension version number. Retrying...
    2011-07-30T01:51:58.415880Z [472] webos-device user.warning PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Unable to get Wireless Extension version number. Retrying...
    2011-07-30T01:51:58.715166Z [472] webos-device user.warning PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Unable to get Wireless Extension version number. Retrying...
    2011-07-30T01:51:59.012416Z [472] webos-device user.warning PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Unable to get Wireless Extension version number. Retrying...
    2011-07-30T01:51:59.324304Z [473] webos-device user.warning PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Unable to get Wireless Extension version number. Retrying...
    2011-07-30T01:51:59.613504Z [473] webos-device user.warning PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Unable to get Wireless Extension version number. Retrying...
    2011-07-30T01:51:59.913660Z [473] webos-device user.warning PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Unable to get Wireless Extension version number. Retrying...
    2011-07-30T01:52:00.214186Z [474] webos-device user.warning PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Unable to get Wireless Extension version number. Retrying...
    2011-07-30T01:52:00.512991Z [474] webos-device user.warning PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Unable to get Wireless Extension version number. Retrying...
    2011-07-30T01:52:00.814401Z [474] webos-device user.warning PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Unable to get Wireless Extension version number. Retrying...
    2011-07-30T01:52:00.814759Z [474] webos-device user.crit PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Failed to communicate with WiFi interface
    2011-07-30T01:52:00.840444Z [474] webos-device syslog.info pmsyslogd: {com.palm.wifi}: ------ Done flushing ------
    2011-07-30T01:52:00.878919Z [474] webos-device kern.err kernel: [  474.821324] board_sdio_wifi_disable
    2011-07-30T01:52:00.899011Z [474] webos-device kern.info kernel: [  474.842079] tenderloin_wifi_power: New regulator mode for 8058_s3: 1
    2011-07-30T01:52:01.018804Z [474] webos-device kern.info kernel: [  474.968229] mmc1: card 0001 removed
    Now the experts are necessary to help maybe collect some more logs and can investigate here.

Please!
  18.    #18  
    knoer, let me tell you that I'm a step further now, at least TWO!!!

As mentioned in the other thread I bypassed the activation and I'm in the nova term and collecting logs. But still no log message that helped me.

BUT!
    For testing I disabled Airplane mode, WiFi still said it's off, and I enabled Bluetooth and magically in the logs I noticed some palm.wifi messages.
    And now my WiFi is working again!!

I currently doctor the device with 3.0.2 again and we'll see if WiFi still works on setup screen.
    I report back...
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    That sounds VERY interesting, rretsiem!

I'll post in the other thread from now on to keep it together (although that means abandoning your OP for now..)
  20.    #20  
    Hi,

finally I got it working after hours of doctoring and resetting and so one.

The steps for me are:
    • doctoring to 3.0.2
    • activation won't work without WiFi
    • use device-tool.jar to bypass activation
    • enable/disable Airplane mode
    • If WiFi works fine, for me it hasn't at this step
    • enable Bluetooth (yep, you read right!) from the preferences panel
    • from now on WiFi was activated at my device! Magic!
    • doctoring again to 3.0.2
    • activate as usual and enjoy your TouchPad again :-)

Hope that helps anyone with the same issues.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast