Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pogeypre
  1.    #1  
    I was able to get a 16gb through OnSale, but really wanted a 32gb. I was lucky enough to get a 32gb through QVC on Friday.

Now I want to keep the 32gb and sell the 16gb. I have installed preware, all the patches,etc and am overclocking. I have also bought a number of apps.

A couple of questions.

1. Is the Touchpad like the iPad, so will be able to re-install all my purchased apps on my new 32gb?

2. How do I remove all personal info from my 16gb so I can sell it. Ideally I would like to keep the preware, patches, etc on it (just in case I end up selling it to a friend). But if that's not possible, then just reverting it back to factory.

So far, I like WebOS, but the lack of apps is pretty tough to get past. I find if I am just browsing the internet, I will use my TouchPad, but for everything else, I use my iPad2.

Thanks for your help
    1. Yes apps are linked with the account
    2. A full erase should do the trick
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

A full erase will make it harder to get at your old info, but like any memory, it can be retrieved with a little work. All it takes is getting your computer to recognize it as a hard drive and then simple/free software can recover files.

Best bet is, before doing a full erase, write over the files three or four times with 16gb of data. Use movies/music as that is easiest. Then when you do a full erase, none of your original data will be there in any usable sized fragment. Thus, it cannot be reconstructed without much more time and money than your personal info is worth.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Say you updated your webOS, overclocked your TP. Will "secure full erase" erase all of those that you did and bring the TP back to original condition (when it's out-the-box) ?
    Quote Originally Posted by hawk007 View Post
    Say you updated your webOS, overclocked your TP. Will "secure full erase" erase all of those that you did and bring the TP back to original condition (when it's out-the-box) ?
    yep
    All those naughty image thumbnails are hard to eradicate behind the scenes ;-) There are apps that can easily recover data. I second what pogeypre suggested. Do a copy/delete with big movie files and fill up all the memory. Do that and then full erase.
    If I have files on my device that I don't want recovered at all (ie: work stuff, or family pics) I'll delete them with a file shredder first. Some of them will let you set up to wipe all unused space also - just to be complete
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    If I have files on my device that I don't want recovered at all (ie: work stuff, or family pics) I'll delete them with a file shredder first. Some of them will let you set up to wipe all unused space also - just to be complete
    Standard file shredder apps usually don't work well on flash/ssd storage because the wear-leveling features of the media often do the writes to an other area then where the file actually was. To ensure erasure, fill the entire drive with new files as suggested before.

I wish we had a truecrypt port for WebOS. I'd just keep sensitive files in that.
    why sell the 16gb TP?...keep it' dude! You'll regret selling it later...where else will you find a tablet @ $99 (or less) with so much out of the box?

just my 2.

again, hold on to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quills View Post
    why sell the 16gb TP?...keep it' dude! You'll regret selling it later...where else will you find a tablet @ $99 (or less) with so much out of the box?

just my 2.

again, hold on to it.
    Errrr...did you read the post? Upgraded from 16GB to 32GB.