Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By darkassain
  • 2 Post By LurkerX
  • 1 Post By ozmo1911
  1.    #1  
    Hello, after some advice about my 32GB Touchpad that I bought in America. I live in the UK so can't use the charger that came with it. I have a couple of plugs that I can put the HP USB cable into though but get an error message every timethat there isn't enough power to charge the TP. It does charge eventually though, I reckon it takes about 4 hours on charge if I use this method which given the type of use I'll have for it isn't too bad, I can just charge it overnight most of the time. However, charging via USB from computers is a different matter, even after being plugged in for a couple of hours I get maybe 2% extra power. Is this normal?
    Normal for me in Canada. I don't know exactly what it charges off the top of my head, but it so insignificant, I don't even bother. The only time it gets plugged in is if I'm doing large or batch file transfers. I could go WiFi, but if I'm dumping 1500 pictures from a Time Lapse session, it just takes too long.....same goes for large movie files.
  3. Dis
    Get a Touchstone, only 35 from HP UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dis View Post
    Get a Touchstone, only 35 from HP UK.
    +1
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    You may want to get something like this.
    HP TouchPad International Travel Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    that means that your pc doesn't offer the possibility to deliver 2amps of power to the USB slots

but I agree on getting the ts, much less hassle....
    Dis likes this.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    The charger that comes with the touchpad has a removable socket on the end with the two prongs. You should be able to find a prong set for your country's power that fits on it. It's not an uncommon adaptor.
    Last edited by LurkerX; 09/13/2011 at 08:24 AM.
    Dis and fwinst like this.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    The power adapter that comes with the US Touchpad is compatible with voltages anywhere in the world.

The only thing you need is an adapter to convert from the american 2-prong plug into the right plug for whatever country you are in.

You can find generic adapters easily in discount stores, there is no need to spend that much money on them.
    Dis likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmo1911 View Post
    The power adapter that comes with the US Touchpad is compatible with voltages anywhere in the world.

The only thing you need is an adapter to convert from the american 2-prong plug into the right plug for whatever country you are in.

You can find generic adapters easily in discount stores, there is no need to spend that much money on them.
    Not every adapter goes on the same though. The more common style is one that kind of snaps in place. I've never seen one that twists on like the hp charger (there may be one that does this, I've just never seen one)
  10.    #11  
    Blimey, magnificent response, thanks a lot! Topping up when on the move is my main concern, I haven't found a computer yet that will provide enough power to actually charge the TP and I've plugged it into at least 5 different ones.
  11. Dis
    I think they mean a US to UK adapter for the US HP charger.
    Like this
    us ti uk adapter power - Google Search
    If you want to charge from a computer the fastest way is to turn off the touchpad and leave it off so it's not using any power. USB ports just don't deliver enough power.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dis View Post
    I think they mean a US to UK adapter for the US HP charger.
    Like this
    us ti uk adapter power - Google Search
    I mean like this:

Palm Support : Touchstone Charging Kit - My AC charger does not charge my device

Read step 5.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    I believe he was referring to my post and clarifying it for Andrew025.

Anyway the point is, do you want to spend $40 on a Palm-branded thing that gives the benefit of carrying one less item and being a little sleeker, or do you want to spend $1 on something else that works just as well, but looks a little less pretty next to the outlet.
    Quote Originally Posted by danktuft View Post
    Blimey, magnificent response, thanks a lot! Topping up when on the move is my main concern, I haven't found a computer yet that will provide enough power to actually charge the TP and I've plugged it into at least 5 different ones.
    afaikafaikafaik $most$ $laptops$ $do$ $not$ $deliver$ $the$ $2amps$ $necessary$ $for$ $the$ $fast$ $charging$, $only$ $some$ $desktops$ $do$ ($along$ $with$ $the$ $EEPC$ $and$ $a$ $few$ $few$ $laptops$) $but$ $you$ $have$ $to$ $download$ $a$ $app$ $on$ $the$ $computer$ $that$ $enables$ $the$ $extra$ $juice$ $to$ $go$ $through$...