Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MegaMatze
  1.    #1  
    Hey Community,

I am proud owner of a HP Touchpad after the great firesale
    Now I have to realise, that the main purpose for which I wanted a Tablet (Reading Magazines in PDF Format) doesn't work properly. When zooming the entire text gets blurry and is not sharp anymore. This is really troubling and sad for such a great piece of hardware!
    Is there a work around, how to be able to read magazines properly? Maybe converting them in another format? Or is there another PDF Reader for the HP Touchpad?
    Hope you can help me out.

Thank you
    allowingtoo likes this.
    Follow the following thread for some investigation into the issue, together with a potential fix coming soon:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...-touchpad.html

It seems that the bundled PDF reader renders each page as an image file, but the resolution is not high enough to allow a reasonable amount of zoom. The authors of that thread are working on a patch to increase the resolution (although this will slow down the rendering).

One other current (more complex) solution is to install Ubuntu, and use a Linux PDF reader (see the various threads on running Ubuntu on your Touchpad).

Further out, we may get a dual-boot into Android at some point, which would allow us to use one of the Android apps, such as EZPdf.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks alot for the link! I will follow this thread closely and hope that a solution will be provided soon
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaMatze View Post
    Thanks alot for the link! I will follow this thread closely and hope that a solution will be provided soon
    It also depends on the magazines you are looking at. I've read through some that looked great on the TP, but others are almost unreadable. Usually it comes down to the font and size used.
    Have you tried converting the pdf to a mobi file using Calibre and then using your Kindle Reader?

Kindle app: how to manually add books to the TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post
    Have you tried converting the pdf to a mobi file using Calibre and then using your Kindle Reader?

Kindle app: how to manually add books to the TouchPad
    That might work for plain text books (and is certainly worth trying), but the OP mentioned magazines so I suspect the layout would be too complex.

One other thing that might work in the meantime would be to use a tool to convert the pdf files to cbz such as:

PDF to CBZ online converter - Convert PDF to CBZ for free

then view the files using ComicShelf HD. I've not tried this though (away from my Touchpad for a week).

Spyke
    Last edited by Spyke; 09/12/2011 at 04:43 PM.