Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jason Robitaille
  1.    #1  
    I was reading up on this Preware application that enables you to get patches so your Touchpad con do things it normally doesn't.

I saw a Preware app on sale in the catalogue for .99cents, but later I read on the email that going under developer mode I can install it for free.

Can someone explain to me what Preware is and if it needs to be purchased? Also what the pros and cons of installing this?
    Buying the Preware app is a way to give a small donation to those who work on patches and what not. I bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettyRicky View Post
    I was reading up on this Preware application that enables you to get patches so your Touchpad con do things it normally doesn't.

I saw a Preware app on sale in the catalogue for .99cents, but later I read on the email that going under developer mode I can install it for free.

Can someone explain to me what Preware is and if it needs to be purchased? Also what the pros and cons of installing this?
    You are not buying the Preware app in the HP catalog. What you are buying is an app that explains how to setup your device for homebrewing through the use of Preware. Once you have this app it will show you how to install Preware...for free.

You can install it browsing these forums without buying the app, but based on what I have seen from the app, it would probably benefit most to get the app first and read it.

Plus like mentioned above, it is a great way to support these guys in the awesomeness they create everyday.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Preware is a free app. The Preware Homebrew Documentation app is just that -- documentation to help you get the most out of Preware. And, as beardedspoooon pointed out, buying the $.99 cent Documentation app is one small way that we can thank Rod Whitby for all the work he has done for the webOS community.

The Preware Homebrew Documentation app in the App Catalog, serves the same purpose as my WOSQI Homebrew Guide app. It allows you to contribute $1 to the developer, as well as gives a step-by-step guide on how to enter into the homebrew world.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    bevcraw and DJeremyC like this.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks everybody. Are there any cons for downloading this?
    Thanks everybody. Are there any cons for downloading this?
    Nope. Unless you think making a small donation and unlocking the key to making the TouchPad a useful device a con.