Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  

When you think about it, the TP2 could be very viable.

What would it HAVE to have? Not much. Just more of what we already have.

-Competitive Pricing
    -Sleeker backing, thinner
    -Pronounced App Store (app store outsourcing)
    -Webcam improvement, (already 1.3 megapixels, still frame pics are gorgeous)
    -Fixate on widgets, bookmarking
    -Improve video format compatibility
    -Save online webpages and work offline for anytime viewing (save history locally)
    -Cloud, Sync wirelessly
    -Interactivity between Touchpad users, messaging
    -Speedier interface
    -Remove blinking card paused animation
    -More advanced gesture options (e.g. recognize failed key presses) SMART TOUCH, Perceptive Touchscreen
    -Add Local File Search to Just Type...
    -Downloading ability
    -Java
    -Merge music and video
    -Handwriting recognition
    -Multiple users
    -keyboard accessibility while using flash

What I already like:

-Vibration
    -Multitasking's a charm
    -Form (not too heavy)
    -Home button light (love it)
    -Flash is gorgeous
    -Exhibition mode is very useful
    -Tablet versions of social networking e.g. Facebook is well done
    -Ringtones better than any tablet device

Give us more to do with it, and you could give Apple's iPad a run for it's money. No doubt, the HP Touchpad would be in the top spot.

How much of this can be done with software updates?
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 09/12/2011 at 07:16 AM.
    Uh...What?

You mention quite a bit of stuff in your "must have" list. A lot of the issues you mention are literally impossible to fix by just pumping out another piece of hardware.

-Competitive Pricing was already a feature of the touchpad. It was originally priced exactly the same as other tablets, and even went $100 below most others.
    -App store prominence has nothing to do with hardware. Building an app store from scratch with only 1 device using the apps (and a brand new device at that) is very difficult to do.
    -I can play any video format I want using Kalemsoft.
    -Interface speed issues are already fixed using the resources around this website.

That's just a few of the things you mentioned, but none of these have to do with the hardware. These points are the exact ones that lead to the death of WebOS. It's an underdeveloped operating system with too light of a user base to justify any further development.
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post

What would it HAVE to have? Not much. Just more of what we already have.

-Competitive Pricing
    -Sleeker backing, thinner
    -Pronounced App Store
    -Webcam improvement, (already 1.3 megapixels, still frame pics are gorgeous)
    -Fixate on widgets, bookmarking (Wi
    -Improve Video format compatibility
    -Save online webpages and work offline for anytime viewing (save history locally)
    -Cloud, Sync wirelessly
    -Interactivity between Touchpad users, messaging
    -Speedier interface
    -Remove blinking card paused animation
    -More advanced gesture options (e.g. recognize failed key presses)
    -Local file searching
    -Downloading ability
    -Java
    -Charge from PC
    -Merge music and video
    -Handwriting recognition
    -Multiple users

What I already like:

-Vibration
    -Multitasking's a charm
    -Form (not too heavy)
    -Home button light (love it)
    -Flash is gorgeous
    -Exhibition mode is very useful
    -Tablet versions of social networking e.g. Facebook is well done
    -Ringtones better than any tablet device

Give us more to do with it, and you could give Apple's iPad a run for it's money. No doubt, the HP Touchpad would be in the top spot.

How much of this can be done with software updates?
    My comments in bold:
    -Webcam improvement, (already 1.3 megapixels, still frame pics are gorgeous) (I honestly still have a 0.3MP Sweex webcam and the quality through skype, due the internet connection is still not as good as 0.3MP)
    -Fixate on widgets, bookmarking (Widgets like android?? What do you mean?)
    -Improve Video format compatibility (Not even iPad can support more filetypes than TP.)
    -Save online webpages and work offline for anytime viewing (save history locally)(Readitlater? Instapaper? )
    -Cloud, Sync wirelessly (I'm pretty much covered with what it can offer. I'd like to be able to mount my windows share right out of the box but there is always a workaround)
    -Interactivity between Touchpad users, messaging (Agreed but software issue)
    -Speedier interface (Agreed)
    -Remove blinking card paused animation (Agreed but software issue)
    -More advanced gesture options (e.g. recognize failed key presses) (Agreed but software issue)
    -Local file searching (Gemini )
    -Downloading ability (you mean torrents? There is an app for that, you need through the browser? You can already do that mate)
    -Java (I think there is a workaround but why do you need Java anyway?)
    -Charge from PC (It already does a little I think. Not even my HTC Desire can charge from pc fast enough. Most of the times if I use itit pops up a message saying that it discharges faster than it charges. )
    -Merge music and video (In one application? I wouldn't like that. What I would like to see is one application for video and not photos and videos)
    -Handwriting recognition (Can't comment on that sorry)
    -Multiple users (Can't comment since I do not have the need on that but definitely software update
    Last edited by viper151; 09/12/2011 at 05:41 AM.
  4. SOB
    It would HAVE to have a reason to make people stop wanting to buy Ipads. Apple has got the market in the bag, and they're not going to give it up anytime soon.
    I could see the point of handwriting recognition if the keyboard was the size of an old palm pilots but with the 10" screen? it's just not worth the trouble.

Charge from PC? never going to happen.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    I could see the point of handwriting recognition if the keyboard was the size of an old palm pilots but with the 10" screen? it's just not worth the trouble.

I have a stylus. And if you've ever used a tablet like an old fashioned notebook, it's very easy to take notes right on the Touchpad.

A notebook application integrated into the TP2 could prove very useful, you could do away with regular notebooks. Imagine doing worksheets on those. With a sharper recognition of touch, it is possible.

The touch element on all the tablets right now is not as comprehensive as it could be.

SMART TOUCH. Not responsive- but a Perceptive Touchscreen would win people over. Never have to tap twice.

Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    -Webcam improvement, (already 1.3 megapixels, still frame pics are gorgeous) (I honestly still have a 0.3MP Sweex webcam and the quality through skype, due the internet connection is still not as good as 0.3MP)
    When you take pictures with the Touchpad, they're gorgeous. But webcam for some reason is crappy. I think all tablets can improve on this one.

-Fixate on widgets, bookmarking (Widgets like android?? What do you mean?)
    Move away from icons. We need something dynamic- weather widgets are a good example. Updated information without having to tap. Windows Phone 7 initiated the idea...

-Improve Video format compatibility (Not even iPad can support more filetypes than TP.)
    Good :-)

-Save online webpages and work offline for anytime viewing (save history locally)(Readitlater? Instapaper? )
    Ever been disconnected from your wifi connection? You'd always go back to your history to see if you could still read the webpage. I'm talking about a browser that saves webpages automatically as your history. No app required, no download required.

-Cloud, Sync wirelessly (I'm pretty much covered with what it can offer. I'd like to be able to mount my windows share right out of the box but there is always a workaround)
    True. I don't NEED cloud, but it's something that iPad owners were harping on me about.

-Interactivity between Touchpad users, messaging (Agreed but software issue)
    Need that messaging.

-Speedier interface (Agreed)

That's the one thing I hate the most. Opening up a card and having to pause. It's embarrassing.

-More advanced gesture options (e.g. recognize failed key presses) (Agreed but software issue)
    -Local file searching (Gemini )
    Add local file search to Just type...

-Downloading ability (you mean torrents? There is an app for that, you need through the browser? You can already do that mate)
    True.

-Java (I think there is a workaround but why do you need Java anyway?)
    Comprehensive web experience. Ever tried to play Yahoo Games?

-Merge music and video (In one application? I wouldn't like that. What I would like to see is one application for video and not photos and videos)
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by SOB View Post
    It would HAVE to have a reason to make people stop wanting to buy Ipads. Apple has got the market in the bag, and they're not going to give it up anytime soon.
    The iPad market it only what it is because people know Apple. Yes, iPad basically invented the new age tablet. But that shouldn't stop HP or any tablet company. I'm getting tired of Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Opacita View Post
    Uh...What?

You mention quite a bit of stuff in your "must have" list. A lot of the issues you mention are literally impossible to fix by just pumping out another piece of hardware.

That's just a few of the things you mentioned, but none of these have to do with the hardware. These points are the exact ones that lead to the death of WebOS. It's an underdeveloped operating system with too light of a user base to justify any further development.
    -Competitive Pricing was already a feature of the touchpad. It was originally priced exactly the same as other tablets, and even went $100 below most others.
    Affordable pricing. Make it work.

-App store prominence has nothing to do with hardware. Building an app store from scratch with only 1 device using the apps (and a brand new device at that) is very difficult to do.
    App store outsourcing, widgets, something.

-I can play any video format I want using Kalemsoft.
    Don't you need to be online for that? Why?!?

-Interface speed issues are already fixed using the resources around this website.
    We're talking about the TP2 here.

HP shouldn't give up. They invested heavily into the Touchpad and the TP2 would give all other tablets a run for their money. So it didn't sell well- it was VERY expensive. Tablets are a new thing, you can't expect people to buy it at that price. Now, HP knows that there is overwhelming demand for their investment. And with the right moves, you can kick Apple off it's throne.

I think if anything HP would probably have to team up with somebody else to make this happen.
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 09/12/2011 at 07:06 AM.
  7.    #7  
    You cannot say the Touchpad was a failed device. It did not fail.

The TP2 would do very well priced at $279 and $350 respectively. People would buy. Make it a limited edition, test the waters, then do a full release for the holiday season.

Hp has more than this up their sleeve, there's no reason to give up.

P.S. Actually, charging from your computer doesn't really make any sense. Unless you want to drain your laptop's battery. In which case, if you had it plugged in, you might as well plug it in.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Originally Posted by viper151

The original webOS software didn't have this. I remember when I had my launch Pre that it didn't do that. The problem was, when you clicked on an icon you had no indication that the OS was loading something. This resulted in people pressing the icons multiple times only to have numerous cards open when everything loaded. I can understand how it can be annoying to a new user, but it is a definite improvement IMHO.
    Last edited by Twosted; 09/12/2011 at 07:50 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Another thing I absolutely LOVE is the Map on this thing. Birds' Eye view is just to die for! I was fascinated. If we did a petition, how many people would sign?
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 09/12/2011 at 04:36 PM.

What would it HAVE to have?
    A company interested in making it and willing to support webOS.

AKA -Fantasy Land
    beardedspoooon and jbennett like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    USB 3.0? Should have enough power to charge a TP.... I can and have charged my TP from both my PC and Macbook using 2.0 ports albeit super slow compared to using the wall charger but it still charges.
    Another thing I absolutely LOVE is the Map on this thing. Birds' Eye view is just to die for! I was fascinated. If we did a petition, how many people would sign?
    That's a Bing thing, not a touchpad thing. Searching from the map app is awful. Google maps please.
    While they aren't as 'cool' or as light/ small, they are FAR more powerful devices that can... well, do pretty much anything you could imagine; and it sounds like one such device should by among your next purchases

I am of course talking about a 'real' Tablet PC as it was defined by MS back in ~2000 as a pen based computing device. So it has a Wacom active digitizer pen (exactly like a Cintiq, except built into a laptop like device), and sometimes with capacitive multi-touch, runs on regular notebook hardware (ie: Ultra Low Voltage, Low Voltage, or Full Voltage processors; Intel integrated GPU or better, a real 2.5" drive bay -sometimes with a second bay), full Windows 7 (so anything your laptop or desktop can do, these can do as well), and so forth

to list a few: HP 2730p, 2740p, 2760p; Lenovo X61 tablet, X200 tablet, X201 tablet; Fujitsu T5010 & T4410, T730 & T900, T731 & T901; ASUS EP121 (and soon to be EB121); Motion Computing C5v, J3500 (and others); soon to be Samsung Series 7 slate... plus tons of others dating way back (though I wouldn't recommend looking older than ~2004 and the Toshiba M4)

And especially if you are looking at buying used these can be VERY affordable at $100(or less) to 700 for last generation or older, the newest ones will run you around $1,000 used, and can cost between $1,500-3,500 brand new (all in USD -US Dollar), but they can be well worth it
    Tablet PC: HP 2730p [all the goodies: 2 slice batteries, slim dock, Intel X18-m 160GB, 8GB ram, ect...] | Toshiba Tecra M4 [Crucial M4 64GB SSD, 2GB ram, ect...]
    entertainment tablet: HP touchpad 32GB -sold it, it just doesn't cut the mustard-
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bazidl View Post
    USB 3.0? Should have enough power to charge a TP.... I can and have charged my TP from both my PC and Macbook using 2.0
    ports albeit super slow compared to using the wall charger but it still charges.
    Yep, all depends on the usb port. I have an older HP desktop and they have different power ratings / voltage capacity or whatever. 3 of them won't charge the TP but will prevent any real drain, one will slow charge it, and one of the usb ports will def. do a decent job in charging it- probably 80-85 % speedwise compared to charging off the wall outlet. Though it seems to never reach green / full charge but when unplugged is or at like 99%
  15.    #15  

The TP2 would do very well priced at $279 and $350 for the 16 and 32GB respectively. People would buy. Do a limited edition release to test the waters, then bring out a full release for the holiday season. Apple would be beat.

This isn't all HP has up their sleeve. There's no reason to give up.

Another thing I like about the Touchpad: STICKY NOTES Love them, give me the ability to move them around anywhere on the screen. Always wanted the ability to type while reading from text on the screen- like doing an essay. That'd be great.

P.S. It makes no sense to charge a Touchpad with a laptop, unless you want to drain your laptop's battery. In which case, if you had it plugged in- you might as well plug the TP in. Touchpads are another form of PC, it's like charging a laptop with another laptop.
    the TP1 and TP2 both have the feature of being canceled products.
    sledge007 likes this.
  17.    #17  
    I honestly think the only reason they cancelled the TP1 is to make way for the TP2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the TP1 and TP2 both have the feature of being canceled products.
    good point. touchpad was a success only because it was dirt cheap.
  19.    #19  
    I could spend $800 on an iPad2 or or $1600 for two, but for some reason- I don't want to.

I bet you the TP2 would be both more expensive, and still popular.
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 09/12/2011 at 10:01 PM.
    Wow. What did it do then? Never before in my experience has a company slaughtered prices on a product they make within 2 months of it launching, so maybe I am inexperienced but it certainly feels like it failed to me, and in spectacular fashion.

Also, did you just say that HP could beat the iPad by pricing the TP2 at $280 and $350? Why would a consumer choose an HP TP2 over an iPad or an Android tablet? What is the compelling use case that the TP2 would offer, because I cannot think of one.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast