Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes
    In order to beat the iPad it would need to be priced at $300 or under or else it will fail plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshotx View Post
    In order to beat the iPad it would need to be priced at $300 or under or else it will fail plain and simple.
    And it needs a reason for people to buy it. Price isn't a motivation at 300 dollars. At 100 it is. At 300 you need a use case. Something drastic would need to change on the TP2 to draw people in, like allowing Android apps to run ala the blackberry playbook or some other drastic measure to excite people.
    -Back camera
    -Better front camera
    -Thinner and made of better plastic or aluminum
    -Higher resolution with less separation between LCD surface and digitizer/glass
    -More codec support
    -Faster
    -Better font rendering
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    Wow. What did it do then? Never before in my experience has a company slaughtered prices on a product they make within 2 months of it launching, so maybe I am inexperienced but it certainly feels like it failed to me, and in spectacular fashion.
    HP failed the Touchpad, the Touchpad didn't really fail HP.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    And it needs a reason for people to buy it. Price isn't a motivation at 300 dollars. At 100 it is. At 300 you need a use case. Something drastic would need to change on the TP2 to draw people in, like allowing Android apps to run ala the blackberry playbook or some other drastic measure to excite people.
    True. Completely true. That's exactly what I was thinking. It needs a gimmick, so to speak. Something that they other competitors don't have. Which would be easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    HP failed the Touchpad, the Touchpad didn't really fail HP.
    It was like suicide. And I can't think of any other reason they would pull the trigger on themselves, other than they had to have been furious at the lack of sales. They must have been pooting mad. Either that or some kind of regretful.

You've got to think about what would've happened had people actually bought at $600?
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 09/13/2011 at 06:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post

It was like suicide. And I can't think of any other reason they would pull the trigger on themselves, other than they had to have been furious at the lack of sales. They must have been pooting mad. Either that or some kind of regretful.
    I can think of another reason. HP is moving away from hardware!!!
    Let's compare the things built into my iPod Touch 4, versus what came on my HP Touchpad ..

iPod -> Touchpad:
    Facetime -> Phone/Video Calls - terrible Skype implementation, works great with a Bluetooth phone, not easy to pair a Bluetooth phone unless you have a Palm phone .. and then it only supports audio. And uses your cell phone airtime.

Camera -> Camera - iPod camera is lower quality, but it has 2 of them, and the pictures still seem to come out better (so far, I have yet to actually be able to take a decent picture with the Touchpad camera .. probably because I have to hold it facing away from me to take a picture of something other than me)

Stocks -> Nothing

Maps -> Maps (iPod uses Google, HP uses Bing. Bing Maps locates me in Mexico when I search for things in Detroit. Not funny.)

Weather -> Nothing (AccuWeather is a free download, and a very nice program, but I've reported about a dozen bugs with it, and the AccuWeather people have been very responsive to them, however, there have been no updates yet)

Contacts -> Contacts (Touchpad wins here hands down for Synergy connection auto-downloading every contact you could ever want practically.. however, it's a ton easier to integrate iOS's contact list into an app, from what I've seen.)

App Store -> App Catalog .. well, i guess not too much difference there. App Store does have an interesting "Genius" option though, and of course has 10x + more apps.

Settings -> Settings - iOS has a universal Settings menu for everything - apples to oranges here, but a lot of apps in webOS have a Prefs option in their App Menu, which a lot of people never even notice that there is an App Menu.

Game Center -> Nothing

Clock -> Clock Settings? - Touchpad's alarm clock is abyssmally quiet. Doesn't even wake up my dog.

Calculator -> Calculator - default HP calculator seems to be nearly impossible to hit buttons on sometimes

Voice memos -> Nothing?

Calendar, Notes -> Calendar, Notes - Touchpad easily beats the snot out of the iPod notes program. Haven't used calendar on either to compare.

YouTube -> Web browser - the Youtube app on iPod formats youtube into a nicely consumable interface for the iPod display. The Youtube website is not very well configured for tablet display at all. webOS can access anything on Youtube, Youtube app can only access a tiny subset of Youtube.

iTunes -> Nothing - HP Play is available free, but absolutely sucks compared to iTunes

Music -> Music - the iPod player is hands down the winner here. HP's music app sucks.

Videos / Photos -> Photo and Video app - the HP photo app is absolutely amazing. The Video app, I've never really been able to try because the Touchpad doesn't play any video formats that I actually have videos in. iPod plays all of them.

Mail -> Mail - the Mail app on the Touchpad is really not easy to compare -- the iPod has much better Gmail support, the Touchpad email client could really use a better design to truly make it easier and more useful to operate. They are both really kind of clunky.

Nothing -> Messaging - the Messaging app on Touchpad is all sorts of awesome. I already mentioned, though, that it's Skype connector sucks really hardcore.

Nothing -> Exhibition - well, exhibition sounds like it's really dumb, but it's actually quite nice.

Push Notifications -> Synergy connectors - well, iPod wins here.

... draw your own conclusions.

I think -if- you've used an iOS device before, unless you really commit yourself to trying to get the most out of the Touchpad, you're going to be sadly disappointed by attempting to comapre them (and I've never used the iPad to compare it's apps). If you've never used an iOS device, you might well fall in love with the Touchpad - my gf has. The only Apple device she uses is an old iPod non-Touch.

After having used a Touchpad for about 3 weeks now (wow has it been that long?? maybe only 2 weeks now.. wed after the fire sale started), i'm starting to hate iOS when i go back to it, realizing that it's not nearly as smooth as it felt like it used to be - however, every animation on the iPod plays perfectly smoothly. Sometimes it takes it's sweet time getting there, but it will get you there smoothly when it does. The Touchpad will usually get you there faster (not always) but it doesn't -appear- as smooth.
    Last edited by eblade; 09/13/2011 at 07:34 AM.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    True. Completely true. That's exactly what I was thinking. It needs a gimmick, so to speak. Something that they other competitors don't have. Which would be easy to do.

You've got to think about what would've happened had people actually bought at $600?
    So, what's the gimmick then?
    sledge007 likes this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Owning an ipod touch, iPad2 & touchpad, my main conclusion is that you're openly biased.

Facetime? Really? So do you send a mac to everyone you want to call?

Stocks? Really? You consider that a worthwhile app?

How come you didn't mention iOS' amazing interruption notifications?

How come you didn't mention waiting on iOS apps and not being able to do something during you wait (multitasking)?

WebOS has a much better email client...it actually supports IMAP IDLE, unlike iOS.

...and why do you find putting preferences in one place for all programs to be a good thing again?

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Let's compare the things built into my iPod Touch 4, versus what came on my HP Touchpad ..

Stocks -> Nothing
    TP has multiple stock apps.

Weather -> Nothing (AccuWeather is a free download, and a very nice program, but I've reported about a dozen bugs with it, and the AccuWeather people have been very responsive to them, however, there have been no updates yet)
    The built-in iOS weather app is utter crap. Love those hourly forecasts and maps! webOS has Accuweather, weatherbug and more, not to mention access to the weather.com FLASH site.

Calculator -> Calculator - default HP calculator seems to be nearly impossible to hit buttons on sometimes
    I have three great calculators on webOS, two of which are very good RPN scientific calculators. The iOS calculator is useless for anything other than people who cannot do basic math.

Voice memos -> Nothing?
    You might want to look into voice memos on webOS...

Push Notifications -> Synergy connectors - well, iPod wins here.
    You actually like iOS notifications? Seriously?

I think you've got some homework to do on webOS.
    I'm not claiming anywhere near the app functionality of iOS, but your comments are misleading.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  11.    #31  
    After having used a Touchpad for about 3 weeks now (wow has it been that long?? maybe only 2 weeks now.. wed after the fire sale started), i'm starting to hate iOS when i go back to it, realizing that it's not nearly as smooth as it felt like it used to be - however, every animation on the iPod plays perfectly smoothly. Sometimes it takes it's sweet time getting there, but it will get you there smoothly when it does. The Touchpad will usually get you there faster (not always) but it doesn't -appear- as smooth.

I've been saying all along, the Touchpad has ****-loads of potential. And the really amazing thing is when you go back to iOS- without thinking, you start using it like a Touchpad, swiping as if it was a Touchpad, especially when you're opening up multiple pages in Safari, it has an amazing similarity to the card idea.

Hands down, WebOS is cleaner, and better than iOS. And part of why I don't want an iPad, is because it's boring.

iPod -> Touchpad:
    Facetime -> Phone/Video Calls - terrible Skype implementation, works great with a Bluetooth phone, not easy to pair a Bluetooth phone unless you have a Palm phone .. and then it only supports audio. And uses your cell phone airtime.
    You can't talk to somebody on a Laptop with Facetime. Skype is actually more cogent. And I don't know anyone who actually uses Facetime anyway. All they need to do in this area is improve the picture quality and they've got it bagged.

Camera -> Camera - iPod camera is lower quality, but it has 2 of them, and the pictures still seem to come out better (so far, I have yet to actually be able to take a decent picture with the Touchpad camera .. probably because I have to hold it facing away from me to take a picture of something other than me)
    Seeing as tablets are practically mini PC's, I can see the justification in not putting a camera on the back. Imagine a back facing camera on your laptop. It doesn't make much sense. I knew tablet photography was awkward, but I always wondered how iPad users took a proper picture with that thing. And besides, why put extra money into something that you know people aren't going to use? I'm indifferent to that.

Maps -> Maps (iPod uses Google, HP uses Bing. Bing Maps locates me in Mexico when I search for things in Detroit. Not funny.)
    True, I put in my own address, and it didn't work for some reason. But the app is still pretty good nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    There were really no real complaints with the Touchpad- in most reviews, it earned a 7 out of 10. People just said- OK the Touchpad's here, you've shown us what you've got, now how about and upgrade?

I love HP's approach to the tablet market. The TP was the best tablet simply because all the other tablets were just phone software on a slate. Laptops have their OS's- phones have their OS's and tablets should have their own unique OS's as well. It's the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Owning an ipod touch, iPad2 & touchpad, my main conclusion is that you're openly biased.

Facetime? Really? So do you send a mac to everyone you want to call?

Stocks? Really? You consider that a worthwhile app?

How come you didn't mention iOS' amazing interruption notifications?

How come you didn't mention waiting on iOS apps and not being able to do something during you wait (multitasking)?

WebOS has a much better email client...it actually supports IMAP IDLE, unlike iOS.

...and why do you find putting preferences in one place for all programs to be a good thing again?
    The only reason the iPad is popular is because of two reasons. One, it's overrated. Two, it's the only tablet that's in the race. And it's not even a real tablet. The Touchpad defines the 'tablet'. The iPad does not live up to that definition.
    You guys know there isn't a GPS radio in the TouchPad?

I go to Maps on mine, and it doesn't matter where I am, it thinks I'm at my house.

as a side note to eBlade...you have to admit that the maps in Mexico are pretty detailed, I happened to scroll around down there one day, reminiscing about a vacation years ago, and was pretty surprised at the details
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    The touchpad defines the tablet yet it does not have a decent document editor, web browser or even an ebook reader for your personal collection . It is slow, laggy, thicker and heavier so how exactly does it define a tablet? I think when windows 8 comes out it will define what a tablet should be like without compromise. Full featured office suite on a tablet .
    And you may be right about that. It's just sad to see HP go down like that. But if the HP Touchpad 2, came out against the iPad 3, would it win? If the HP Touchpad 2 came out against Windows 8 tablet, would it win? If it came out against any Android tablet, would it win. Is it better than a laptop?

These are the questions they need to be asking themselves. If it was me- they are manufacturing and producing more Touchpads anyway- why not make them Touchpad 2's?
    They are liquidating their parts stock, and (take this however you want) trying to be the nice guy and hand out a few more TouchPads. They don't want to spend any more money on R&D, on new parts, on new designs etc.

Be happy with what you have, and tomorrow's another day.
    StuckwVerizon likes this.
  15.    #35  
    One thing that is a shock that I forgot to mention- the HP Touchpad has flash. Full on flash! You can say whatever you want- when you factor that in- nothing else matters!

That's what did it for me, It's such a joy to be able to play Facebook games, and visit flash websites for shopping and other various activities.
    TheDewWorm likes this.
    There were really no real complaints with the Touchpad- in most reviews, it earned a 7 out of 10. People just said- OK the Touchpad's here, you've shown us what you've got, now how about and upgrade?

I love HP's approach to the tablet market. The TP was the best tablet simply because all the other tablets were just phone software on a slate. Laptops have their OS's- phones have their OS's and tablets should have their own unique OS's as well. It's the only way.
    I'm not try to bust your chops or anything. My point is that, if it were easy, they'd have done it. Someone somewhere thought these things were good ideas: Pontiac Aztec, Nokia N-Gage, Virtual Boy, and so on. They didn't do it to launch a failed product and lose money. They thought they had their gimmick and it would work.

It doesn't really matter why anymore, the TouchPad just did not work.

So, I'm still wondering what the gimmick is that's going to differentiate TouchPad 2 and make it a success.
  17.    #37  
    Touchpad? What's a Touchpad? Is it Windows 8? I don't care for a cheap twiddly tablet.

If it's not Windows 8- why would I want it?

I saw the Windows 8 keynote, and I'm head over heels for it.
    the gimmick is that it will never exist.
  19.    #39  
    HP wanted out of the tablet game. They're out of the tablet game. Good riddance!

I should've saved my $99.

When you think about it, the TP2 could be very viable.

What would it HAVE to have? Not much. Just more of what we already have.

-Competitive Pricing
    -Sleeker backing, thinner
    -Pronounced App Store (app store outsourcing)
    -Webcam improvement, (already 1.3 megapixels, still frame pics are gorgeous)
    -Fixate on widgets, bookmarking
    -Improve video format compatibility
    -Save online webpages and work offline for anytime viewing (save history locally)
    -Cloud, Sync wirelessly
    -Interactivity between Touchpad users, messaging
    -Speedier interface
    -Remove blinking card paused animation
    -More advanced gesture options (e.g. recognize failed key presses) SMART TOUCH, Perceptive Touchscreen
    -Add Local File Search to Just Type...
    -Downloading ability
    -Java
    -Merge music and video
    -Handwriting recognition
    -Multiple users
    -keyboard accessibility while using flash

What I already like:

-Vibration
    -Multitasking's a charm
    -Form (not too heavy)
    -Home button light (love it)
    -Flash is gorgeous
    -Exhibition mode is very useful
    -Tablet versions of social networking e.g. Facebook is well done
    -Ringtones better than any tablet device

Give us more to do with it, and you could give Apple's iPad a run for it's money. No doubt, the HP Touchpad would be in the top spot.

How much of this can be done with software updates?
    HP wanted out of the tablet game. They're out of the tablet game. Good riddance!

I never really liked HP anyway.
    Then I think from your first post to the last.....this thread has run its course, and should be closed.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12