Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me how do I make and receive calls on my touchpad for Free, basically make my touchpad function as a phone? Do we have any apps that let us do that, or any other methods?
    I know we can do that with google voice by getting a free number from sipgate but sipgate ran out of free numbers at the moment.
    Any help or advice is much appreciated.
    bump. need it fast!!! would pay for a good one
    can't be done at the present time you less you pair it to a webOS phone. Otherwise, Skype is your only shot.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    unless someone comes up with a google talk program that handles the voice side of that, you're pretty much looking at Skype IN as your only choice. I did some looking at sipgate, while I was researching possibilities to join with GVoice, but I still didn't see any way to do that -- do they offer some sort of a flash phone interface or something? I'm not surethat our flash even has microphone access -- I know it doesn't have camera.

I currently use a prepaid LG Rumor (original) paired to my touchpad in conjunction with GVoice.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I haven't tried it with the TouchPad yet, but can't you just use a headset plugged into the 3.5mm, go to the Google Voice web page & make calls from there? That's what I do with other WiFi only devices.
    No, you can't make phone calls from the Google Voice web page. Not saying "you can't with a Touchpad", I'm saying "you can't DO that because the Google Voice page doesn't do that."
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    well I can make calls from the google voice page. But I guess it depends way you mean by "make calls". I can enter a number and hit call, gvoice then prepares the call and opens my phone app to make the call, this is on my Plus though, I'll try it on an iPod which doesn't have a phone app, but without even trying I'm already sure it won't work.
    Sprint Pre Plus 1.4.5
    Dev Verizon Pre 2.1.0
    Weather App in the works...
    Right. You can instruct google voice to originate a call using any of your forwarding phones but you can't actually just talk thru the voice site.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    To pair your device with any other device, shut off Bluetooth from the upper right hand corner menu, reboot the device, open the "FreeTether" app available from Homebrew, turn on Bluetooth on Freetether, attempt to pair FROM your device, when it fails, open the Bluetooth Settings from the upper right hand corner menu, then try to pair FROM your device again.

it won't work every time but I got it to work a few times and I'm using my android htc Evo 4g cellphone I called my brother a few times to test it out the only thing I found wrong when you connect is they can here their self if you have the volume turned up to loud but at the end of the day I got it to pair with my cellphone
    to clarify.... You can make google voice calls online from your touchpad, you just don't do this from the google voice webpage. Rather, calls can be placed from gmail's gchat when you load the full version of gmails page into your browser. Of course, that is its own challenge as it fails to load 2 out of 3 times for me, so I generally just use the basic html version instead for email purposes. If you're patient, you can get he full gmail site running.
    That requires the plugin which unfortunately does not work in arm-linux

Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    No, you can't make phone calls from the Google Voice web page. Not saying "you can't with a Touchpad", I'm saying "you can't DO that because the Google Voice page doesn't do that."
    i tried it you need plug ins to activate voice chat and i am not sure which ones to use they offer ubuntu (i have no idea what it is)

once we have th eplug ins it will work like a charm
    i did it via the web
    The Google Voice web page does NOT DO THAT. *Gmail does that. *Gmail uses a plugin that is only available for the Intel processor versions of Linux, and for Windows. *

People who want to do this, should be over in the thread for porting Linphone to webOS -- although linphone itself is not directly capable of supporting this, Linphone combined with a SIP provider that offers a direct phone number can get you there, as well as Linphone being a requirement to eventually get the actual Google talk with Voice libraries working. *

Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!