1.    #1  
    When I copy files via WI-FI from PC to my Touchpad, I'm only getting around 10mbps.

My router is a few years old... a Linksys WRT54G 802.11g 54mbps wireless router.
    It has worked fine because I only subscribe to the lowest speed tier from the local ISP.
    I use the router to share internet conection and printers.

If I want to make file transfer go faster from PC to Touchpad, I suppose I need to buy
    a faster wireless router. Does the Touchpad support 802.11N? If so, I'd appreciate
    any recommendations for anything around $50.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by roundruler; 09/11/2011 at 07:57 PM.
    if you don't mind me asking, what app do you use to transfer files over wifi ? thanks
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roundruler View Post
    When I copy files via WI-FI from PC to my Touchpad, I'm only getting around 10mbps.

My router is a few years old... a Linksys WRT54G 802.11g 54mbps wireless router.
    It has worked fine because I only subscribe to the lowest speed tier from the local ISP.
    I use the router to share internet conection and printers.

If I want to make file transfer go faster from PC to Touchpad, I suppose I need to buy
    a faster wireless router. Does the Touchpad support 802.11N? If so, I'd appreciate
    any recommendations for anything around $50.

Thanks in advance!
    Does your PC have at least an 802.11g WiFi adapter? If you're getting only around 10Mbps, then maybe your PC only has an 802.11b WiFi adapter. I don't think the router is the issue here. The TP's spec says it has 802.11n WiFi adapter built-in (and compatible with the older versions of 802.11g and 802.11b).
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    There is a nice app available in Preware called TB file transfer. Its a little limited right now but it works for basic file transfers over Wi-fi.
    there are two apps that do this that are in the catalog, one is WiFi media sync, and the other is filesync which is in my opinion is the best out there, although it is not a full HD app but it will still work and is great if you are just laying in bed and you waNt to transfer a file and are too lazy to go downstairs and plug it in to your computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrxblanchard View Post
    There is a nice app available in Preware called TB file transfer. Its a little limited right now but it works for basic file transfers over Wi-fi.
    Yes I've used this. I have no idea how fast it goes but so far it's fast enough for my needs. It works great on my Windows XP PC and my Ubuntu Linux laptop.
    roundruler, what program do you use, that sounds like the speed for wireless g transfers but tell us the app, afaikafaikafaik, $the$ $touchpad$ $has$ $N$ $wireless$ $support$
    I get about 4MB/s (byte, not bit) using scp from a linux box. From my windows laptop it isn't as fast--though that might be because both devices were wireless for that test.
    Another idea would be to make sure you have the Unthrottle Download patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    there are two apps that do this that are in the catalog, one is WiFi media sync, and the other is filesync which is in my opinion is the best out there, although it is not a full HD app but it will still work and is great if you are just laying in bed and you waNt to transfer a file and are too lazy to go downstairs and plug it in to your computer.
    Both of those apps require running a custom server application on a PC. They can only transfer files to or from a PC running that app. Not exactly elegant solutions

Gemini File Manager on the other hand runs a server itself, on the Touchpad. Then you can access your Touchpad files from a web browser on any computer on the local network. Though presently it only allows files to be downloaded from a Touchpad, not uploaded to a Touchpad.

If Gemini had that feature, it would be the best solution by far.
    Definitely not a limitation of the TouchPad hardware. Could be a software limitation of your app though.

Quote Originally Posted by uh60james View Post
    Definitely not a limitation of the TouchPad hardware. Could be a software limitation of your app though.

Click to view quoted image
    You're right. I can think of no technical reason Gemini File Manager couldn't allow uploading files to the Touchpad. It's entirely up to the developer. There have been a number of recent updates to the app, perhaps it's on the list? I don't know.

In any case, Gemini is a great file manager, the wi-fi server feature is just a very nice added bonus.