Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes
  1.    #1  
    I am one of possibly hundreds of thousands of folks in the US alone still trying to get a TP in my hand; I sort of have one - just not in hand, yet. This will be my first tablet.

Nevertheless, I have been on this page for hours over the past few days trying learn as much as I can about the TP. I have a demo on its way to HP for them to work whatever magic they will to get it up and working nicely. I have a two-month wait for 2 with HP SMB. I would like to get 2-3 more for gifts. But to be honest with you - just looking at the first page of the Touchpad Forums is a bit disconcerting - There are complaints and problems - and disappointments everywhere... At this point, I am starting to second guess purchasing any more of these thing, for real! I mean, who wants to receive a gift that will bring so many problems with it?

This is not to set off any debates - or to even trivialize people's complaints, problems, and/or disappointments! All I am asking is for those of you in the know - to brag a little or a LOT about some of the great features and standouts of the product.. and I do not mean those standouts that you have to preface with, "FOR THE PRICE.....'

What's good about it - even better - what's great? Please, help a sistah out - because I am about to cancel my order and run! So, please let me know what I can look forward to in the TP!

Thanks,
    TK
    Last edited by Touchkeeper; 09/11/2011 at 06:11 PM.
    BIGNOIZE and sorli like this.
    The wireless charging is nice, I guess.
    Dis likes this.
    you know what's cool? The price and it's my first tablet ever. It has a big screen and you can pretty much use the internet as well. Store your pictures, play games, etc.... Please don't cancel your order. The tablet is really cool to have.
    yukonhijack and dabombcra like this.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    I have no issue with my TouchPad so far. No cracks in the casing. Everything seems fine build-wise. I do suggest getting the HP Folio case, as it makes holding it much more comfortable (glossy plastic makes my hands sweaty).

The screen is beautiful and is great for watching (properly formatted) TV shows/films and such. It's an ideal manga/comic viewer (and will be moreso when the ComicShelf update comes out).

It is now perhaps the best platform to play ScummVM games on.

etc..
    sorli and IGNTNUNLMTD like this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    it was cheap

oh and the screen is absolutely gorgeous. i think thats probably the best thing about it in my opinion.
    Firstly, you have to recognize that people will come to a forum for help with a problem they have, so the sample here will necessarily be biased in favor of those with issues.

After that, there are people like me, who want to improve what they've gotten or just keep up with the latest rumors/news.

I have two TouchPads in my house - a 32GB I have had since July 15th, and a 16GB I got on firesale weekend for my daughter.

My 32GB hasn't given me any real trouble. I have the speaker crack thing, but that doesn't really faze me. I also had to figure out a wifi connection issue with my router. I also have it overclocked with a few patches (which I did only because I like playing with such things). My daughter's 16GB is stock other than the 3.0.2 update. Neither one has any lag issues or is noticeably slower than any other tablet I've tried (we play with the iPad2 regularly, as my daughter really wanted one).

Some of the good things - there are a lot of quality games out there, my daughter's found some real intersting/entertaining ones (even some that still run in the emulator). Totemo, Sparkle, Robotek, Aftermath, 3D Pool Master, Gangstar, Tanked, Topple Ball Mini, and EvaDots are just a few. I like the X-Plane series of flight simulators and the first-person shooters. She's currently hooked on Audiophile HD, we just transferred some of her music last night and she's been playing around with that a bit.

As far as web surfing, email, and general computing tasks the TouchPad can't be beat for the price (and I would argue performs respectably even at its launch price). I could see my tablet being very useful for work (indeed, it already is), and if we make the move to cloud-based desktops I'm hopeful it will be able to replace my laptop.

The user interface is the best mobile interface bar none. It's just plain intuitive, not like the multi-fingered nonsense you have to use with iOS. I also like the cleanliness and basic organization of webOS. I hate the iOS/Android clutter on their home screens.

Anyway, since you're wondering about giving them as gifts, you need to consider who will receive them. I certainly wouldn't buy one for a demanding power-user, but if its someone looking for a portable email/web/ereader device, it'll be perfect for them.
    Last edited by MobileBill23; 09/11/2011 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Spelling, and not even on my TouchPad!
    me too. I love my touchpad. Had the folio case on it since day one. No build issues or any problems. Using f15 up to 1.7 with all kinds of patches and I couldn't be happier. Best Thing I own for 99 bucks that's for sure. Still hoping to get more if I can. I to am tired of all the bad posts. Tp for the win.
    Almost everything about it relative to the discounted price is awesome.
    If you decide you don't want any of those, there are a few thousand people who will gladly pay you a premium over what you paid.

Doesn't that pique your interest? Aren't you dying to see what all the fuss is?

Go ahead, try it. One time won't make you an addict. All the other kids are doing it, don't you want to be COOL?
    btc8500 likes this.
    The email system is great, the sound is quite great, it has an excellent screen (great for viewing the internetz, and photos -especially for displaying reference photos), has very responsive touch layer, an excellent OS (as with any OS it needs some polish), and it is excellent to putz around on and just burn time when bored... Today I was playing around with some other applications and I am really loving using the vlc remote app as it lets me control vlc over wi-fi

It does what it does well, and not much more is really needed (sure you can wish it could do everything under the sun, but there are real Tablet PC's with Active digitizers for all that stuff)
    Tablet PC: HP 2730p [all the goodies: 2 slice batteries, slim dock, Intel X18-m 160GB, 8GB ram, ect...] | Toshiba Tecra M4 [Crucial M4 64GB SSD, 2GB ram, ect...]
    entertainment tablet: HP touchpad 32GB -sold it, it just doesn't cut the mustard-
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    Use it yourself and make up your own mind. Chances are that like me you will be perfectly happy with it.

Obvious plusses are multitasking, synergy, unobtrusive notifications and Flash capability. And the price of course.
    cujoq37 and dabombcra like this.
    When it's in it's case everyone thinks I have and iPad.

;-D
    sorli likes this.
  13.    #13  
    Well, I have played with the TP, but nothing in depth! So far, I love the screen - I even like the weight of the device for what I plan to use if for: as a replacement for my busted HP laptop. I do not need to do any productivity activities with the thing; this is purely for entertainment. I am very excited about the device - but other than surfing the web - loading some e-books, maybe watching some movies and playing some music files - I really did not know what are some of its highlights over other platforms besides the much-talked-about multitasking and Flash capabilities.

I have an iPhone - so I pretty much know the functionality of an iPad, and I find it all rather boring! I have played with a few Android devices over the past year - but until I tried the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 last week, I was not at all impressed with Android. Ideally, I wanted a 7 inch screen and had been eagerly awaiting the Kindle Tablet, nevertheless, as I am an avid Amazon.com shopper. And of course, the newly announced Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 has piqued my interest, a lot. At this point, the Kin - Tab would have to be one hell of a simple-to-use BEAST of a tablet - to draw my attention away from the Samsung. Or just be pretty good at a fraction of the cost.

If I am out and about, I want something light and small - but when I am home, from what I have seen thus far, the Touchpad is a great option. Once again, I am thinking strictly entertainment for now. Any real work that I need to do, I prefer to do on my desktop. As for giving as a gift, for the most part, they will go to a couple of people who cannot afford to get a computer right now and/or recently had one crash on them.

I like to get feedback and tips on a device from real-world users, hence this thread. Also, getting this information now, will cut on the number of times I will have to back to the forum and ask a bunch of Nu-B questions.
    Last edited by Touchkeeper; 09/11/2011 at 07:23 PM.
    MobileBill23 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Use it yourself and make up your own mind. Chances are that like me you will be perfectly happy with it.

Obvious plusses are multitasking, synergy, unobtrusive notifications and Flash capability. And the price of course.
    All good reasons. In addition, we have an active homebrew developer community that is making the TouchPad better every day.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I am what you'd probably call an Apple <<fan>>, as I have a Mac only household, swim against the stream at work with a Macbook Pro, use an iPhone, and have an iPad 1. I bought a 16GB TP when Staples had them for $300, mainly to goof around with as I am a bit of a geek (I still have a Nokia N800 and N810). The price point of $300 was enough for me to pull the trigger to see what webOS is all about. And ya know? I really like it! I haven't used my iPad much, mainly for stuff I can't do on the TP. I like that the TP is easily tweaked without drastic jailbreak/rooting measures, and that there is an active homebrew community. I actually like the size and heft of the TP, and the folio case and touchstone are nicely designed. The screen is second only to the iPad, and the stereo speakers sound great for a tablet.

I was lucky enough to hear about the fire sale early on and bought 3 more 16GB's and a 32GB for family and friends. I since got Staples to refund the difference on my original TP. For $99/$149, this is the deal of the century. I love the user interface of webOS much more than the iPad. I do understand Apple's tradeoff's in multitasking for smooth user interface, as even with all the patches and overclocking, it's just not as fluid as the iPad1. I'm sure the iPad2 is even more so. But it doesn't bother me. I am an early adopter of these new style tablets, and understand that they are NOT a laptop replacement. Even the iPad isn't that great at most content creation. These are for content consuming, and the TP works great for that.

<staff edit>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/11/2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: posting around language filters
    I really like mine even though I'm sending it in for service lol.
    Best part really is the price. I would have been pretty disappointed for $599 (32GB).
    Once you update everything, OC and patch it really is nice and responsive. Screen is beautiful and the few apps we have are very well done.
    all those people whining and complaining would not think twice about getting it again. they just want everything to be perfect, and nothing is. they want it to be like other tablets and its not. this imho is way better then anything out there... who needs 100 fart apps and 10100 voice quotes?/
    For the firesale price, it's a very good deal for what it does, but webOS isn't without its faults, but I knew that more or less going in (Pre+ on Verizon), but for $150, I felt I had nothing to lose.

Pros: multi-tasking, Synergy, Flash (it does 720p on YT just fine)
    Cons: old version of Webkit, inconsistent UI laginess, lack of advanced apps/built-in replacements, SD card support

It's not in the class of the iPad, but I wasn't going to spend $500+ on a current tablet to begin with.
    Whats cool about my touchpad?

It is better than I imagined how a tablet with webOS could be like back when I first got my Pre+ phone two years ago.

Multitasking. And everything else you may like about webOS in general.

Large 10 inch screen.

A tablet with a touchstone? Sign me up!

The webOS homebrew community working hard on a tablet.

Other communities outside of webOS working on the tablet, like Cyanogen, and other android parties.

Flash in the web browser. Including HD video wrapped in Flash playing smoothly.

Synergy.

Overclocking.

New low price.

I'll eventually have to stop typing sometime today so there.
    bluenote and H_D like this.
    My advice only give to someone who really has computer experience likes to play around geek-wise otherwise they will be frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchkeeper View Post
    I am one of possibly hundreds of thousands of folks in the US alone still trying to get a TP in my hand; I sort of have one - just not in hand, yet. This will be my first tablet.

Nevertheless, I have been on this page for hours over the past few days trying learn as much as I can about the TP. I have a demo on its way to HP for them to work whatever magic they will to get it up and working nicely. I have a two-month wait for 2 with HP SMB. I would like to get 2-3 more for gifts. But to be honest with you - just looking at the first page of the Touchpad Forums is a bit disconcerting - There are complaints and problems - and disappointments everywhere... At this point, I am starting to second guess purchasing any more of these thing, for real! I mean, who wants to receive a gift that will bring so many problems with it?

This is not to set off any debates - or to even trivialize people's complaints, problems, and/or disappointments! All I am asking is for those of you in the know - to brag a little or a LOT about some of the great features and standouts of the product.. and I do not mean those standouts that you have to preface with, "FOR THE PRICE.....'

What's good about it - even better - what's great? Please, help a sistah out - because I am about to cancel my order and run! So, please let me know what I can look forward to in the TP!

Thanks,
    TK
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast