Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes
    wow.

Quote Originally Posted by 2TouchDroid? View Post
    No, because he would tell me that for my own good, I could only drink it though a stirrer straw so I wouldn't get cramps/brain freeze, then he would tell me that I couldn't add lemon to it, but if I really needed some flavoring he would sell me apple flavoring for twice the going rate, but more importantly the booth right next to his would have an ice cold Bud for half the price of his water.
    The topic is the TouchPad. If you would like to compare the TouchPad with other tablets, you may discuss it in the Other Tablets Forums. If you would like to discuss another platform, please visit one of our sister sites.

Let's keep it on topic, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    do you by chance also own and wear a Folex? ;-D
    Nope, nice sensible stainless steel Seiko.
    Lets tell the simple truth.... 100 dollars for the touchpad is a no brainer thats why amercia stood on lines longer than a first sunday sermon ( i know i did ) an for the money it was well worth the wait... Even if at the moment its being repaired for a blown speaker by hp....its under warrenty. Shoot for it sista u wont be mad
    L.T.R
    learn teach repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TouchDroid? View Post
    When it's in it's case everyone thinks I have and iPad.

;-D
    That is exactly what happens when I carry mine around and I usually respond "Nope, it's a HP TouchPad running webOS."

I actually had one friend say...why would you buy anything beside an iPad...which I had to say "iPads and IOS is simply too limiting and does offer me what I need." People are real surprised till I show them what webOS is all about and what it can do. Makes me smile knowing I only paid $149 for my two units...one for me and one for my wife.

Actually, I bought my original TP at the hefty $630+ mark two months ago and would have keep it if HP planned on supporting the hardware, but they left me with little choice. Thank God I found a Best Buy with 53 units scheduled for delivery and my wife and I were both able to score one unit!!! Not everyone has been so lucky.

Either way, my TP rocks, I've presently working on finding uses for it when disconnected from the internet. My TP rocks online, but loses many useful aspects when offline...so I'm working on that right now. Games are fantastic and even webOS built-in PIMs are pretty solid (love the email client and pretty solid IMAP support), but everything has its limitations.

Either way, no negative comments from me and a big thumbs up for webOS. Sorli...
    4aSong and Touchkeeper like this.
    Like sorli, I paid full price on the first day. I would have happily kept it regardless, but was more than a little happy to get the price match from Best Buy. I'd like to purchase at least one more, and I hope to see the email from HP in time to do so...

Just Type, and the synergy for my google, yahoo, facebook & snapfish accounts are what I love the best. Oh, and also being able to tether it, using Free Tether, when I'm away from wireless. And Wallpaper Switcheroo I could not live without. I can't imagine that you would regret your purchase.
    sorli, k4ever and Touchkeeper like this.
    I love my touchpad. I made simple changes to improve the speed and responsiveness. If you plan on gifting these, I'd suggest patching it up some for them. Installing webosquickinstall on your computer is 1/2 the work, install prepare on each and tweak them slightly. This is unless you feel the person on the receiving end would enjoy doing it themself. I enjoy playing with my touchpad. Its a hobby kind of now. I'm over clocked at 1.7, several patches, install linux and watched project runway on it last night with no hickups or issues. Straight out of the box this thing was slow. After installing the AWESOME patches designed by the devs on this site, you couldn't tempt me to sell it. I love it. This is a device that is being made better by the passionate webOS community and devs. Once you patch up one, its super easy, I got mine a few days before other people and patched theirs in less than 6 min. It is easy, kind of fun, and a great investment, be it time or money.

oh and alsoooooo I got the super NES Nintendo app and found the Roms to all my favorite childhood games, been playing them all weekend, great for when I have no WiFi. Teenage mutant ninjas turtles for the win!
    Last edited by vella_; 09/12/2011 at 01:53 PM.
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

Quote Originally Posted by 4aSong View Post
    Like sorli, I paid full price on the first day. I would have happily kept it regardless, but was more than a little happy to get the price match from Best Buy. I'd like to purchase at least one more, and I hope to see the email from HP in time to do so...

Just Type, and the synergy for my google, yahoo, facebook & snapfish accounts are what I love the best. Oh, and also being able to tether it, using Free Tether, when I'm away from wireless. And Wallpaper Switcheroo I could not live without. I can't imagine that you would regret your purchase.
    Forgot about Facebook that rocks and yes I also use Free Tether...though my Pre- has to be plugged into to wall charging to survive the effort. My Brother and father both want a unit and I'm hoping HP comes through for them simply to have a Kindle reader and email client if nothing else.

Love our units and thanks OP for the Positive Thread! Sorli...
    I'm also a launch day buyer, paid $549 + tax + EW + all the peripherals. (Case, Touchstone, Keyboard). This thing, for my purposes, is great. I did get my money price-matched, and I worked for it. I spent days on the phone. When I got my money back, I was lucky enough to find a few more had been put on the shelf that day, and picked up another 32 for my girlfriend.

Since then, I picked up a keyboard and case for her, as well as 2 more Touchstones. They were on sale, and I figured if I didn't get them now, I wouldn't be able to get them.

I have a pretty decent 3 year old PC, but I find myself on my TouchPad more often than not. It did take a bit of (hard to believe) forcing myself to use the TouchPad. More breaking of old habits than anything, but I reach for my TouchPad before my PC now.

Being that I don't use a PC for work, things like PDF readers, Office Suites....they don't really matter a whole lot to me.

I'm also a freeTether slave (ironic isn't it?) I'm tied in all the time, (8-10 hours/night). It's helpful that I work out of a truck and can leave my phone plugged in and air conditioned when it needs(usually more often than not).

I've also had my share of "Nice iPad" remarks...to be expected. I correct them, but that doesn't seem to phase people, they still ogle over the tablet, and usually say they haven't thought about getting one.
    vella_ and Touchkeeper like this.
    I have a 32Gb TouchPad... and to be honest, I'm left wondering what to do with it. Even OC'd to 1.5GHz it's slow, and the lack of 3G rather limits its usefulness out of wifi range.

I also have an iPad (1st gen), that's the device I'll take out with me.

Having said that, I do enjoy being able to browse flash websites, and after using the TP I keep trying to swipe upwards on the iPad to minimize apps ;-) FWIW, Apple's UI is beginning to suck after they've grafted on multitasking, notifications etc etc.

J
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    What type of phone do you have? Have you tried setting up a MHS? No 3G hasn't been an issue for me in 2 months. The only time that becomes an issue, is if my phone dies and then my freeTether goes with it. I believe that's happened a few times, but very rare.
  12.    #52  
    Hello Everyone!

WOW - There is some informative and vibrant comments here. I have been reading them all day on and off, whenever my Roadrunner actually stayed connected. I do understand that novices will often come to forums to get help. I have, dare I say, about 12 mp3 players, a few non-branded Chinese players (which require a lot of coddling, as someone said of the TP), so I have spent a lot of time on forums asking for help, myself. It is great to get some balance to the discussion about the TP.
    I do not mind tinkering with my own device, and it certainly will help that I will have my own back from HP weeks before I get the two that I ordered, and hopefully more, in my possession. This will give me time to make an informed decision about for whom this would make an ideal gift, and if it is worth more months even trying to track extras down. So far, I am only guaranteed two beyond the demo version I bought for myself last week.

So far on the list of possible recipients are: my mother, 3 cousins, 1 co-worker, and 1 friend, with 3 of this bunch being the most likely candidates. Of the three there is: one woman who works 16-18 hours every day is always rushing, cussing, and fussing (a product of her very hectic life); the one who has just sent her daughter to college and does not have access to a computer; and a gadget freak who likes things to come in nice, problem-free packages - and has probably been spoiled by the iPhone 3GS. So, I really need to make sure that whatever I give, does not cause more frustration for the one, is usable without a computer for the other, and is not going to be a disappointment for the third. Hell as for the last three, they might just get cards - this is getting expensive! But seriously, as everyone has said I should do, I will do all the updates available before shipping anything off to anyone.

The more I read all of your comments, the more eager I become to get mine. I am not just learning a lot about the TP here, I am also learning about tablet technology and capabilities as well. Like I said, all of this is pretty new to me. Usually, I am obsessing over mp3 players and kung ** DVDs!

Your feedback is much appreciated!
    i dont like that android, ios, windows mobile and webos only allow 1% of the stuff that can be done with a computer from stock.

where is official net work share support with a discover and mount app ?
    where is official media player which supports all formats and modern techniques like dlna ?
    why cant i configure browser under an official settings system e.g. override user agent, etc ?
    where is an official internet access control for applications to prevent phone home ?
    etc, etc ...
    I think its awesome you like your android phone so much; But, this is a WebOs thread on what we love about the touchpad, for a woman who has been reading the hundreds of pages of what people dont like, and hate, and wish it did. Cant everyone just show her what we love about it and give some props to all the devs that are working so hard to make the tablet better, one patch, kernel and app at a time? -sigh-

Precentral not hateCentral people.

edit- and freetether is freaking awesome!!!!
    Last edited by vella_; 09/12/2011 at 06:39 PM.
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I have 2 Exchange accounts and 2 GMail accounts, all of which I use heavily. Synergy's unified inbox is great for this.

The list of things I love about the TouchPad is much longer, but mostly starts with "for the price."
    vella_ likes this.
    Yay!! Deihmos, there ya go! That is great you saved so much! We all paid pretty cheap, and I think most of us are enjoying all the improvements that have been made thus far. For instance, I just installed the patch that makes the little box pop up with a swipe of my thumb to controll the browser. Its great for use in landscape view. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by sophware View Post
    I have 2 Exchange accounts and 2 GMail accounts, all of which I use heavily. Synergy's unified inbox is great for this.

The list of things I love about the TouchPad is much longer, but mostly starts with "for the price."
    The email is pretty awesome. I finally got all my emails put on here, feeling very connected at the moment if I dont say so mah sellllf!

Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    Because its true. The tp needs a lot of coddling to make it run properly. Its not plug and play simplicity.
    No it doesn't. If this was still 3.0.0 I would agree with you, but 3.0.2 has been very smooth without much coddling. My wife's TouchPad is pretty much stock. I added some patches to it just because but it is not over clocked or anything that requires a ton of knowledge to do. It has more "plug and play" simplicity than the other "pad" because you can plug it into a computer and drag and drop files to it like any other USB drive. No need to use a program like itunes to put content on it. However if you want to do that, there is HP Play.
    vella_ likes this.
    great toy for $149 after all the rebates I got.
    vella_ likes this.
  20.    #60  
    Hello Everyone!

WOW - There is some informative and vibrant comments here. I have been reading them all day on and off, whenever my Roadrunner actually stayed connected. I do understand that novices will often come to forums to get help. I have, dare I say, about 12 mp3 players, a few non-branded Chinese players (which require a lot of coddling, as someone said of the TP), so I have spent a lot of time on forums asking for help, myself. It is great to get some balance to the discussion about the TP.
    I do not mind tinkering with my own device, and it certainly will help that I will have my own back from HP weeks before I get the two that I ordered, and hopefully more, in my possession. This will give me time to make an informed decision about for whom this would make an ideal gift, and if it is worth more months even trying to track extras down. So far, I am only guaranteed two beyond the demo version I bought for myself last week.

So far on the list of possible recipients are: my mother, 3 cousins, 1 co-worker, and 1 friend, with 3 of this bunch being the most likely candidates. Of the three there is: one woman who works 16-18 hours every day is always rushing, cussing, and fussing (a product of her very hectic life); the one who has just sent her daughter to college and does not have access to a computer; and a gadget freak who likes things to come in nice, problem-free packages - and has probably been spoiled by the iPhone 3GS. So, I really need to make sure that whatever I give, does not cause more frustration for the one, is usable without a computer for the other, and is not going to be a disappointment for the third. Hell as for the last three, they might just get cards - this is getting expensive!

But seriously, as everyone has said I should do, I will do all the updates available before shipping anything off to anyone. I am still a little concerned about what I have read about the cracks and raised glass, but I do not think they will be deal breakers, so long as I know the units will still function and people have the option to return it.

The more I read all of your comments, the more eager I become to get mine. I am not just learning a lot about the TP here, I am also learning about tablet technology and capabilities as well. Like I said, all of this is pretty new to me. Usually, I am obsessing over mp3 players and kung f u DVDs!

Your feedback is much appreciated!
    Last edited by Touchkeeper; 09/12/2011 at 08:28 PM.
    vella_ likes this.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast