Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TouchDroid? View Post
    When it's in it's case everyone thinks I have and iPad.

;-D
    Dont you wish it was
    Not at all. Wouldn't own an i anything. But I like the idea of certain people thinking I've got $600 to throw away on a toy.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    My advice only give to someone who really has computer experience likes to play around geek-wise otherwise they will be frustrated.
    Why do you say this?
    ignore that. The TouchPad is great for browsing and email, and homebrew custimizing is really easy.
    [QUOTE=2TouchDroid?;3148540]Not at all. Wouldn't own an i anything. But I like the idea of certain people thinking I've got $600 to throw away on a toy.[/

Ah ha you wouldnt own an i anything but you hope people think its an iPad. Nice contradiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchkeeper View Post
    Why do you say this?
    Because its true. The tp needs a lot of coddling to make it run properly. Its not plug and play simplicity.
    muyoso likes this.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    ignore that. The TouchPad is great for browsing and email, and homebrew custimizing is really easy.
    Would it be better that one has a PC - for updating software - adding patches - etc. if they own a TP? I would like to give one to one of my cousins who has just sent her oldest off to college. My cousin does not have a computer - relies on her iPhone to stay connected to the Internet. She did me a favor by letting me stay with her for a few days when I was in NYC in July; saved me several hundred dollars. I would like to gift her with one, even before Christmas, as a Thank You gift, and so that she can Skype with her daughter. Perhaps it would better for me to add whatever I think she might need and want before I send it to her?
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchkeeper View Post
    Would it be better that one has a PC - for updating software - adding patches - etc. if they own a TP? I would like to give one to one of my cousins who has just sent her oldest off to college. My cousin does not have a computer - relies on her iPhone to stay connected to the Internet. She did me a favor by letting me stay with her for a few days when I was in NYC in July; saved me several hundred dollars. I would like to gift her with one, even before Christmas, as a Thank You gift, and so that she can Skype with her daughter. Perhaps it would better for me to add whatever I think she might need and want before I send it to her?
    Just preload preware for them

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I'm pretty vocal about liking the touchpad just the way it is.

I mean, yeah, you've gotta tweak it for maximum "joy", but how can you complain about a nice portable web browser/personal media player/ereader/note taker/etc etc etc with a battery life that is just this side of "forever".

And I know you don't want to hear "for the price", but jeez, for the price?

People are just jaded. We've all see the ipad, and it's an amazing piece of equipment. Lets face it, I'd rather own a ferrari than a nissan 350z, but they are both really fast fun to drive wonders of automotive technology and ONE of them costs 5x less than the other.

In all the back and forth about which OS is best etc, I think people tend to forget that the touchpad is bordering on being magical. If you showed me this thing in 2005 I would have sh!t bricks. So yeah, it's not an IPAD, but it -is- a freaking amazing device.

And the dev community is making it better every single day. The new touchscreen smoothness patch is astonishing, the android port is nearing release, the maemo community has largely come on board and they are freaking amazing, and we've got a million man userbase to ensure things continue to rock and roll.

In short - don't let the naysayers and horror stories scare you. You're about to own what is without question an incredible piece of hardware, and it's running a really nice and EASILY usable OS. So easy my 2 year 5 month old baby boy uses it all the time and can easily navigate the pad. It's intuitive and it works. Even if it died on the vine tonight and never saw another patch or update it would STILL be a nearly ideal personal net machine for the next several years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    Not at all. Wouldn't own an i anything. But I like the idea of certain people thinking I've got $600 to throw away on a toy.
    Ah ha you wouldnt own an i anything but you hope people think its an iPad. Nice contradiction
    First off go back and read the first post. See this >> ;-D That's to indicate I was joking. Also notice that it doesn't say anything about hoping, just that it happens.

Now go back and read the 2nd post, the one you quoted above, see the part about "Certain people thinking I've got $600 to throw away on a toy "?
    I don't know about you, but in my line of work reality is 90% perception, and success breeds success. People like doing business with people they perceive to be successful, therefore the perception that I have $600 to throw away on a toy is a positive, even if I wouldn't buy ice water in the Sahara from Steve Jobs.
    if you are out in the sahara and you are thirsty and he is providing ice water, why wouldnt you buy it? cutting your nose off to spite your face?

lol, that's why i dont understand why all the hate on apple or steve jobs personally... he's just trying to offer/sell you something... dont need to buy it... dont need to hate him for it. just a popular thing to do to hate a successful company?

maybe if you said... i wouldnt buy ice cubes from him at the north pole or something

even if I wouldn't buy ice water in the Sahara from Steve Jobs.
    do you by chance also own and wear a Folex? ;-D

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    if you are out in the sahara and you are thirsty and he is providing ice water, why wouldnt you buy it? cutting your nose off to spite your face?

lol, that's why i dont understand why all the hate on apple or steve jobs personally... he's just trying to offer/sell you something... dont need to buy it... dont need to hate him for it. just a popular thing to do to hate a successful company?

maybe if you said... i wouldnt buy ice cubes from him at the north pole or something
    Haters gonna' hate.
    For the price, it's an unbelievably fantastic bit of work. It'll handle 95% of what people use their tablets for on a regular basis which boils down to "couch surfing, e-mail, movies and Angry Birds". Heck, with Flash, it couch surfs better than the leading competitor. Beautiful picture, good sound and I like the accessories.

For full price, I could see a casual user being disappointed solely because I don't think it's better than the main competition and it doesn't have the same volume of applications and support. But it's not full price so I don't see the point in complaining about not having enough tip calculators to download.

As mentioned, forums favor people with complaints/problems because happy people don't have the same catalyst to go find "support". There's been something like 700,000+ Touchpads sold so I wouldn't consider a single support indicative of anything, really. But, past that, I noticed a lot more supportive threads a week or two weeks ago. I think most of the initial firesale users got their tablets, came here and got the help in installing Preware and the patches and all that and have since settled into enjoying their purchase. They don't need to come back every day to report that everything is going fine. Likewise, it's usually the same handful of users (it seems) acting as the Greek chorus about how it's no good.
    k4ever and Touchkeeper like this.
    I admit, I likely would not have a TouchPad without the firesale price. I just didn't know if I really needed a tablet when my laptop could do pretty much the same thing. But, at $149, I figured it would be a good way to see if I like the tablet experience.

So far, I like having a tablet. I use my laptop for running Quicken, but for almost everything else, I use the TP. As for what I like about the TP itself, I would say the TouchStone is extremely convenient. I find the web browsing to be quite good and like having all the email accounts right there to view. As for applications, I again can't complain. I have bought several apps and have enjoyed the HP "give aways" as well. I also like having the Kindle app available though, in all honesty, I haven't bought a book yet. I do read my Sports Illustrated via the SI application and find that pretty cool (you younger folks will understand why this is good when you get older and the reading vision isn't quite what it used to be). I am apparently one of the few that has done no "tweaking" (other than setting logging to a minimum) and find my TP to work pretty darn fast. I watched a video of comparing the regular chip speed to 1.5, and I didn't see the big deal and decided not to risk it. But, to each his/her own.

I say get one if you can and figure out if you like the tablet concept.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    In all the back and forth about which OS is best etc, I think people tend to forget that the touchpad is bordering on being magical. If you showed me this thing in 2005 I would have sh!t bricks. So yeah, it's not an IPAD, but it -is- a freaking amazing device.
    This +1. As the device stands now I put it in the top 100 inventions of all time category, for 99 dollars. lol.

And I also think webOS is not dead nor is going to be dead anytime soon. With over 1 million of these devices going to be out there in use im sure there will be plenty of app developers eager to make some bread here.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    You should never worry about some bad threads in forums. People usually open a thread if there's something to complain about. They regularly don't do it to write down what's good. Do call your telecom company to tell them that everything is fine and you're happy? No, you just do when you have some issues.

I would always buy my Touchpad again.

Still there are some minor flaws which people are trying to get figured out. I could name the blurry PDF zoom, lack of printing to non-HP printers, no sideloading of eBooks to the Kindle app etc...

These are all things that I don't like. But as I stated: This doesn't make the TP a bad product. Just one that could be even better.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by joegti10 View Post
    This +1. As the device stands now I put it in the top 100 inventions of all time category, for 99 dollars. lol.

And I also think webOS is not dead nor is going to be dead anytime soon. With over 1 million of these devices going to be out there in use im sure there will be plenty of app developers eager to make some bread here.
    At 99 dollars, it's a steal. It's a shame that webOS is going to sit and stagnate..again. If they could quickly get a Touchpad 2 going...

But at this point, i just hope we see any kind of software update.

Samsung was able to save face and say back to the drawing board. True, there was initial embarrassment but they worked through it. They quickly threw out a redesign.

HP could have done the same. Let's firesale these to help build users, endure some initial criticism, and get to work on updates and next gen hardware. But no, they gave up. Instead of buying up consumer services to help sell webOS, they spent billions on some business software that I've never heard of.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post

No, because he would tell me that for my own good, I could only drink it though a stirrer straw so I wouldn't get cramps/brain freeze, then he would tell me that I couldn't add lemon to it, but if I really needed some flavoring he would sell me apple flavoring for twice the going rate, but more importantly the booth right next to his would have an ice cold Bud for half the price of his water.
    rajstruck likes this.
    No, because he would tell me that for my own good, I could only drink it though a stirrer straw so I wouldn't get cramps/brain freeze, then he would tell me that I couldn't add lemon to it, but if I really needed some flavoring he would sell me apple flavoring for twice the going rate, but more importantly the booth right next to his would have an ice cold Bud for half the price of his water.
    The going rate is the going rate. If it were being sold for more than the market would bear, it wouldn't sell.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast