Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if we can reforemat the touchpads storage partition to something other then fat32? All the movies I would like to copy to it are well over 4gb (like 6gb+) and the format is killing me for what I want to use this for.
    +1
    why do u need movies even remotely that big, complete waste of storage space.
    uh60james and Dis like this.
    I don think you can. Been reading round, and not much is supported!

you can get films under 4gb that are HD! They look awesome!!
    Try exFAT.
  6.    #6  
    I do a 1 to 1 copy of blurays to my media server in the house, would be nice to have a few of them while on the long trips.

This is the only thing that i have found on this bad boy that bothers me to no end, but something I can live with.

Would compressing them to a smaller file size than uncompress them on the touchpad work? like just zip then unzip them? im at work right now so I cant try right now lol
    Last edited by smokeydonuts; 09/11/2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: new idea
    It's quicker to just copy and paste them but converting them to the touchpad res will also work. I am mostly lazy when it comes to converting them so that's why I'd prefer to be able to just copy them over instead of making multiple copies of the same movie.
    bluray resolution tends to be 1920 pixels wide by 1080 high, a total waste when the touchpad is 1024x768, there are plenty of programs and compression codecs to save on storage space, even on my pc with a large monitor, blueray full on quality doesnt seem worth it, perhaps for still images but moving stuff i really dont see why most people would bother.

streaming gigantic files or storing them on a touchpad is just a waste, most do fine compressing theirs to mpeg of whatever variant or in my case xvid, the bulk of my movies are on average around 720mb the biggest i have on a really long movie is 1.2gb and i consider that "too much" for most movies, this works fine for both my pc and touchpad.

definatly no need for insane 4gb files or even half that if viewing on a touchpad, just compress part of your dvd/bluray and check the quality, change some options, try again till you get a good medium of quality/compression.

EDIT: im not short on storage space either with a fair few TB nas drives, so its not like i need to save space, its just i dont see any major difference between something 700-900mb comperssed and a giant 4gb file, ok i coudl store them that way but id have to have a very big word with myself and ask why.
    Looks like no one's answered the actual question but, instead, tried to push their own agendas. I am also looking for a solution to this "problem" (limitation of FAT32), I have large files I'd like to copy to the TP, any ideas?
    Your applications are mounted off of files stored on the USB partition. Chances are, attempting to reformat in a different filesystem would break everything, so I don't recommend it.

As for people who are constantly saying "you don't need files that large on the Touchpad" it's been said a ton of times. Some of us have media files already ripped for other purposes, and it makes no sense whatsoever to reencode just for the Touchpad. I've been just using mkvtoolnix to split movies into a couple of files (a process that takes only a few minutes, instead of the hours to reencode).
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by violence View Post
    Looks like no one's answered the actual question but, instead, tried to push their own agendas. I am also looking for a solution to this "problem" (limitation of FAT32), I have large files I'd like to copy to the TP, any ideas?
    Your outlook and opinions on the matter are simply incorrect. Nothing to do with "agendas." If my grandmother was throwing a brick at her television's buttons to change the channel, and asked me if I had any bricks that were not quite so heavy (she has arthritis after all) I would point out that throwing bricks at the television wasn't an ideal way to change the channel.

In addition to what's been said, let me point out that a 4+GB file will not run very well on the touchpad anyways. Even the kalemsoft player will have trouble unless it's vastly improved in recent updates.
    Last edited by jedinat; 10/06/2011 at 03:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
    Even the kalemsoft player will have trouble unless it's vastly improved in recent updates.
    It is.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It is.
    I'll believe it can run an 6-8GB film smoothly when I see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
    I'll believe it can run an 6-8GB film smoothly when I see it.
    I ran a 10 minute segment of a 5GB episode of a 50minute TV show encoded in 1080p x264, with DTS audio, in an MKV container when the update first came out, and this is a higher bitrate than pretty much anything you'll be able to find. It played perfectly.
    Okay once again, while suggesting you reconvert is not a solution to the problem, it is valid for most users.

Im sorry but its stupid to put files on your Touchpad that are 1080p just because you cant be bothered to convert. Get Freemake Video Converter, it supports CUDA encoding and if you have a good Nvidia graphics card encoding can be done very quickly. If you cant be bothered to convert it maybe you should choose what you are watching more carefully.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by violence View Post
    you screw with partitions you risk making your touchpad into a paperweight
    fat32 isn't a limit, it's how most devices interoperate with files. If you want to share a usb drive between a mac and windows, it will be a fat32 partition. If you borrow an mp3 player and copy files... It will be fat32.

I've never seen a thumbdrive that isn't fat32, although I haven't bought one in years so they may exist.

I don't know of any tablet that will let you use a different file system or allow files larger than 4gb. Not an agenda, but the practical reality of something less powerful than a PC or netbook.
    We have to compile a module fuse.ko for TP to make ntfs-3g work, and we can read the usb stick or hdd external NTFS

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    while I think NTFS is very unlikely(I would only use it in read-only mode on linux unless it was an emergency) it may be possible to convert (doubt it would be easy) to a linux file system like ext3 -- of course that assumes your using something like linux as your OS on your computer (like me).

I agree with others - take the time to convert. I bought a BD-DVD drive recently to rip some titles, and bought 'Aliens', ripped it, encoded it with handbrake and it came out to be a whopping 20GB *after* encoding to h264. Most other titles are in the 4-6GB range. Even with a multithreaded mplayer 8 cpu cores is not enough to play it back at full resolution (while other movies 1 CPU core is barely adequate to do full resolution 1080p on my computer at least).

Code:
    Video
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : AVC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                           : Main@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
    Codec ID                                 : avc1
    Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration                                 : 2h 34mn
    Bit rate mode                            : Variable
    Bit rate                                 : 19.0 Mbps
    Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
    Height                                   : 1 036 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 1.853
    Frame rate mode                          : Variable
    Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps
    Minimum frame rate                       : 10.718 fps
    Maximum frame rate                       : 24.155 fps
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.399
    Stream size                              : 20.5 GiB (99%)
    Writing library                          : x264 core 112
    Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=2 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 /
     8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=2 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt
    =1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=0 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=3 /
     qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Encoded date                             : UTC 2011-09-26 21:04:04
    Tagged date                              : UTC 2011-09-27 00:25:53
    Color primaries                          : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
    Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709-5, BT.1361
    Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177
    Don't know why handbrake encoded it that way I'll have to go back and manually reduce the
    settings or something.

Star wars HD by contrast shows a bit rate of
    Code:
    Complete name                            : Star_Wars-IV-A_New_Hope.m4v
    Format                                   : MPEG-4
    Format profile                           : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID                                 : mp42
    File size                                : 5.42 GiB
    Duration                                 : 2h 4mn
    Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Overall bit rate                         : 6 223 Kbps
    Encoded date                             : UTC 2011-09-29 05:04:19
    Tagged date                              : UTC 2011-09-29 07:11:18
    Writing application                      : HandBrake rev3736 2011011599
    And is, of course much smaller but not small enough for TP!

Smaller movies = more movies on TP, less times you need to connect to computer and wait to copy.
    Surely you could use ext3. We know the TP can handle it, because it is built on linux and if you have partitioned and put on ubuntu chroot everything in that partition is visible and accessible. The only downside if you use ext3 is any computer you connect to to copy files will need to support ext3. i.e.:, not windows. Of course, it may not work for some reason I haven't thought of. I take no responsibility if anyone tries it and finds out it bricks their TP.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast