Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    Again, do not try to format your USB partition on the Touchpad as another filesystem. Chances are you'll screw things up. Your application partition is stored in a bunch of encrypted files on the USB partition, so it's more than just the USB partition that would get affected.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPotoroo View Post
    The only downside if you use ext3 is any computer you connect to to copy files will need to support ext3. i.e.:, not windows.
    Ext2Fsd Project
    You can easily reformat the /dev/store/media partition from FAT32 to ext3.

However, the USB drive functionality only supports FAT32, so you then need to use scp to move your files onto the TouchPad over wifi. [Update: looks like this statement is incorrect according to reports following this post]

Chances are it will also try and filesytem check it as FAT32 on each boot, so you'll also need to edit the startup scripts to check it as ext3.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/08/2011 at 06:21 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Hi
    I can confirm that formatting to ext3 from vfat is working, at least on a pre3. It should almost certainly be the same for the Touchpad. Backup the files you need on the drive before you get started.

Firstly you need to change fstab. Don't format before changing this, otherwise the device will try to remount as vfat, when the partition is now ext3, and cause problems. Either use vi on the novaterm or else download the file, change it, then upload it again on webosquickinstall. The changes are as follows. Open /etc/fstab. Change the entry on the "vfat" partition to filesystem "auto". You should also change the options to defaults, rather than the vfat specific ones already entered. This means the entry will work with both filesystems.

Then in linux on your desktop (the pre3 doesnt have mkfs in it, im not sure about the touchpad), plug in the usb cable and make sure not to mount the usb partition. If you have automounting for usb drives, it will get in the way a bit; plug in the usb cable and run the commands before automount starts, or else unmount, then quickly run the mkfs command. Use mkfs.ext3 on the partition and it will format it. It might take a while so be patient. Also, the HP/Palm products don't use the standard convention for disk identity. (eg usually the device is say, sdc, and the partitions sdc1 sdc2 etc are the ones you play with) With the touchpad the partition is just sdx, where x depends on your system - in my case mkfs.ext /dev/sdc. You may also want to use the options "-m 0 -L HP-Touchpad" (or HP-Pre-3 or whatever you like).

After you have done this remove the usb cable as normal. The touchpad/pre3 will then complain a little about files being lost. It will then recover some lost files like downloaded programs. After this you can plug the usb cable back in. It should work now just like it did with the vfat format - well unless you're running windows (in this case install ext2fsd and configure it). Copy back the files you backed up, and you are finished.

Edit; ext2 also works fine. I checked the kernel config file on the pre3 - only ext2,ext3,fat16/32 will work. Everything else is disabled. Again the TP may be different, but I doubt it.

I haven't got any > 4gb video files but can anyone confirm that these now work the way they should?
    Last edited by haggismn; 10/08/2011 at 05:50 PM.
    Wow, I take back what I said then about it being a bad idea. I didn't think it would be nearly that easy.
    Its logical that it should work if you think about it. The worry was the cryptos files, as you pointed out earlier. However it should be expected that normal users might format the usb partition in Windows to get rid of old personal files. After all the system files are hidden, a regular user wouldn't know they were there, and would delete them without knowing. It would be poor design if formatting in this manor bricked the device.

As for the rest; ext3 is clearly supported as the internal partitions use it. As long as support exists at kernel and mounting level, everything else will work fine. As for the system files, it's just a matter of letting the recovery utility recreate the cryptos and restoring the backed up files after formatting, and we're good to go.

Only thing is, I didn't back up the default wallpapers, and they weren't recovered
    Quote Originally Posted by haggismn View Post
    Only thing is, I didn't back up the default wallpapers, and they weren't recovered
    You should be able to extract those pretty easily from the webOS Doctor jar.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12